Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can only afford gym 2 days a week... How should I restructure my routine? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So basically I'm back home from uni for 1 month easter holiday. After calling and visiting my local gyms here in London, they all said they have a 2 months contract minimum which is roughly £80.

The daily rate is £5.50, so if I go 2 times a week for a month then it cost £44 which is more reasonable.

So this is usually how my workout has been set out:

Monday - Chest & Triceps
    Tuesday - Legs
    Thursday - Shoulders & traps
    friday - Back & biceps

Do you think it would be very strenuous if I was to compress two days of work into one?

Thoughts please
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Buy a set of weights to keep at home (can get a reasonable set for £40) and go jogging.

Then each time you are back you can at least keep up the exercise even if its not as strenuous as term time (assuming you go to uni gym?)

ReputationRep:
    Fusion do cheap gym memberships..depending on where your based..

ReputationRep:
    Change it to 2 fullbody workouts a week.

ReputationRep:
    You only work each muscle group once per week?

I'm not an expert, but would it not be better to work each major muscle group twice per week instead?

ReputationRep:
    la fitness in northolt give out free 1 day passes, so maybe visit there with a different look every few days or my active lifestylegym in hayes has no contract, about 30 a month but hmm could be far from you

ReputationRep:
    It's worth putting in the groundwork and convincing your gym to do a student deal during the holidays. That's what I did. Try getting on their asses in advance with a few persuasive emails.

As for restructuring your workout, it looks like a pretty crap split so I don't have any suggestions that'll carry it forward. Although I would advise you squat in both of your weekly sessions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    You only work each muscle group once per week?

I'm not an expert, but would it not be better to work each major muscle group twice per week instead?
    its okay to work out each muscle group twice per week if your a beginner, but once you'v been training for a while and your muscles get bigger, it will take longer for them to fully recover...

Not an expert here but i always prefer once a week, to give my body a good rest.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.