Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

Is B the most acidic compound?

ReputationRep:
    you need to consider the stability of the conjugate base (ie the ion formed after deprotonatiion). Look at both -I and -M effects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plato's Trousers)
    you need to consider the stability of the conjugate base (ie the ion formed after deprotonatiion). Look at both -I and -M effects.
    What are -I and -M effects anyway? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    -I and -M are electron withdrawing effects (via two different mechanisms). They both have the effect of stabilising anions (and so making an acid more acidic)

the mesomeric effect

the inductive effect

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plato's Trousers)
    -I and -M are electron withdrawing effects (via two different mechanisms). They both have the effect of stabilising anions (and so making an acid more acidic)

the mesomeric effect

the inductive effect
    Well, I think just for my level I don't require such information. May you please just tell me the answer?

I suggested the answer to be B, cuz there are a lot of OH groups in that compound and as Oxygen will attract more electrons towards itself, so dissociation may be more...

ReputationRep:
    Is the answer A?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bananas01)
    Is the answer A?
    Nope, it can't be A anyway. The thing is it has only one carboxylic acid group attached to it.

ReputationRep:
    The question is ambiguous. Is it most acidic as in the one that will loose its first proton the easiest, or as in the one that will produce the lowest pH after it is allowed to come to equilibrium in water. Depending on which you choose i suspect you may well get different answers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zishi)
    Nope, it can't be A anyway. The thing is it has only one carboxylic acid group attached to it.
    But it has no OH groups...

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for lactic acid (D)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 6, 2011

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.