Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there a pill which stops your period but... watch

ReputationRep:
    Is not the contraceptive pill? I don't want my periods to come while I have exams, and also I am going to a festival this summer and really don't want to be on my period. I don't see the point on going on the contraceptive pill because it will make me gain weight, and because I am not in a relationship, anyone i so sleep with I use a condom anyway. My friend told me she has these pills that you take if you get your period and it stops in about three hours, but she could be havering out her arse for all I know. Anyone know? I don't want to ask the doctor if no such pill exists.

ReputationRep:
    I think there might be actually.

ReputationRep:
    If you stop your periods, then it is essentially a contraceptive pill.

ReputationRep:
    there is, people take it when they go on holiday
    you can get like a couple of weeks worth
    my friend took it when she went a way once
    i think you have to go and see your doctor

ReputationRep:
    Its not the pill itself that makes you gain weight, it increases appetite so you just have to control what you eat. However some people don't experience this and some actually lose weight. Might be worth looking into and if anything else such as holidays come up you can control it without worrying about even starting.

ReputationRep:
    Okay well how would I book an appointment to see my doctor? Im sixteen and I know it's silly but I don't want to tell my mum incase she thinks I am taking it for other reasons, as my mum isnt aware im sexually active. If I phone the doctor to get an appointment straight after school, would I have to tell the person on the phone what it is about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luceria)
    Just to be clear, using contraceptive pills doesn't necessarily mean you'll gain weight. It's different for everyone.

And there is a pill that you that you can "stop " your period with. It's called Primolut-N. I got it from my doctor, and used them for a week. It worked fine, though your stomach might be a bit "upset". No period though!
    I'm sure they sell it in the UK as well.

I found a thread about the pill Primolut-N on here:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=615544 ( It seems like it's called Norethisterone as well)
    (Original post by laura_*)
    Its not the pill itself that makes you gain weight, it increases appetite so you just have to control what you eat. However some people don't experience this and some actually lose weight. Might be worth looking into and if anything else such as holidays come up you can control it without worrying about even starting.
    i was one of the unluky ones who gained the weight. before i went on the pill i was the type who could eat and eat and not put weight on. soon as i went on the pill..i have put weight on. and the pill is making it harder to get rid of the weight. im getting there thouggh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INeedToLoseWeight)
    Okay well how would I book an appointment to see my doctor? Im sixteen and I know it's silly but I don't want to tell my mum incase she thinks I am taking it for other reasons, as my mum isnt aware im sexually active. If I phone the doctor to get an appointment straight after school, would I have to tell the person on the phone what it is about?
    No, you won't have to tell them anything until you're face to face with a doctor

ReputationRep:
    It made me INSANELY hungry. But I thought I was imagining it. Haha.
    Haven't really gained any weight though (I hope!)
    maybe try eating low GI foods. as it is suppose to make you feel not hungry. it does work. im on a low GI diet atm. so i don't eat much anymore. i have lost weight, but 2bh i think if i wasn't on the pill i would have lost the weight quiker:rolleyes: i developed boobs though haha i donno if that's because of the pill or because i was a late developer lol

ReputationRep:
    Im sure if you explained to your mum that you don't want to be on your period for events such as holidays, festivals and especially exams - Im sure shewould understand

ReputationRep:
    All the pill does is increase appetite, it doesn't produce magic fat that stays around forever. If you gain weight on the pill you are eating more.

Anyway, yes you can delay it using the pills which other people have mentioned, but I think you can only do it for a couple of weeks, so if your exams are spread over a larger time span then you will either have to have one or go on the pill which seems unnecessary for such a short period of time, though it does have longer term advantages in that you're in control of when you do and don't come on constantly.

Oh and- just book the appointment and turn up, you don't have to tell them what it's about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikki-jones2009)
    i was one of the unluky ones who gained the weight. before i went on the pill i was the type who could eat and eat and not put weight on. soon as i went on the pill..i have put weight on. and the pill is making it harder to get rid of the weight. im getting there thouggh
    How much weight did you put on??? I was under the impression you only put on 1 or 2 kg?

ReputationRep:
    If you're looking to "stop" your period for one-two weeks, you can ask about
    the pill I mentioned Norethisterone/Primolut- N. Read the post I wrote ^. I only phoned the doctor, didn't even have to have an appointment. Went there, got the prescription and voila.

Your mum wouldn't have to know if you went to the doctor though, since you're 16. Well that's how it's here anyway.
    This. This is what I've gotten when I've gone to festivals. Just go to the doctor, explain why you need it and they'll give you a prescription. Your mum needs not know and you'll get it for free as you're under 18.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mel2606)
    How much weight did you put on??? I was under the impression you only put on 1 or 2 kg?
    i went from a size 10 in jeans that were loose on me. to a size 12 and them getting tight on me...so quite a bit but I'm pretty shore i wasn't eating more than usual

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks for all your help. I think I'm going to speak to my doctor about going on the pill, as it seems easier to control my periods, and I have had a few scares before, and it may be better to just go on the pill so I don't have to worry. I know this varies greatly, but in general, how soon would I be able to get an appointment after I'd phoned?

ReputationRep:
    I've used the pill Norethisterone which delays your period and stops it but is not a contraceptive. You take it 3 times a day starting 3 days before your period is due and then stop taking it when you don't need it anymore and your period comes 3 days later. Another thing that supposedly doesn't work but I tried and it did, is that I took this when I was actually on my period and it stopped within a few hours.

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks for all your help. I think I'm going to speak to my doctor about going on the pill, as it seems easier to control my periods, and I have had a few scares before, and it may be better to just go on the pill so I don't have to worry. I know this varies greatly, but in general, how soon would I be able to get an appointment after I'd phoned?
    depends on your doctors 2bh.

ReputationRep:
    Is not the contraceptive pill? I don't want my periods to come while I have exams, and also I am going to a festival this summer and really don't want to be on my period. I don't see the point on going on the contraceptive pill because it will make me gain weight, and because I am not in a relationship, anyone i so sleep with I use a condom anyway. My friend told me she has these pills that you take if you get your period and it stops in about three hours, but she could be havering out her arse for all I know. Anyone know? I don't want to ask the doctor if no such pill exists.
    You should definitely speak to your GP, hes the only person who can help you and won't give you random stuff you wouldn't want to take

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks guys. I'm going to phone my GP and see when I can get an appointment. Even though I'm quite scared I would rather go by myself than with my mum or a friend.

ReputationRep:
    Hi yes there is, it's called norethisterone.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.