Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm practicing writing essay and found this question.

Can anyone help me please, what would I write about. So far I have:

• Different Bases
    • Natural Selection
    • Different Appeaerence

That's it, I really need help as you can see. :-)
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by User12399)
    I'm practicing writing essay and found this question.

Can anyone help me please, what would I write about. So far I have:

• Different Bases
    • Natural Selection
    • Different Appeaerence

That's it, I really need help as you can see. :-)
    Good practice is to write down what you already know about the essay topic(using memory from the past units) and then go back through the syllabus and add extra information that you missed.

If you have had the lecture from the chief examiner(or someone representing him) then he will mention 'the 5' which you should always you when writing a plan. For your particular example, here are the 5 sub-topics you should focus on
    Gas exchange and transport
    nutrition and digestion
    movement and co-ordination
    reproduction and growth
    homeostasis and nutrition

What I do is make bullet pointed notes underneath each of these headings in my plan.

Hope this helped

ReputationRep:
    Well, the definition of a species is one that cannot produce fertile offspring with another species. So perhaps you could start with that and build on it a bit and then go on to talk about natural selection and selection pressures and reasons for speciation, such as geographical separation. Obviously that results in a different sequence of DNA and therefore a different appearance and lifestyle. Species develop to fill a particular niche or use a different source of nutrition e.g. birds developing different shaped beaks to eat nuts/fruit/pollen.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philbert)
    Well, the definition of a species is one that cannot produce fertile offspring with another species. So perhaps you could start with that and build on it a bit and then go on to talk about natural selection and selection pressures and reasons for speciation, such as geographical separation. Obviously that results in a different sequence of DNA and therefore a different appearance and lifestyle. Species develop to fill a particular niche or use a different source of nutrition e.g. birds developing different shaped beaks to eat nuts/fruit/pollen.
    Reproductive isolation :yep:

(I seem to remember examiners being impressed with that phrase :p:)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 7, 2011

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.