The Student Room Group

URGENT!!!! Comparing Twilight with Dracula from an English Language point of view!

Okay so I'm comparing modern with original vampire literature - Twilight and Dracula - for my eng lang A2 cwk. It's the language investigation one :smile: I feel like my essay is getting kind of eng lit rather than eng lang..the transcripts are below for the sections I'm working from for each of the novels, but if they don't work than you can google search, in Dracula it's from the line 'I knew that there were at least three graves to find...' up to 'say at once and loud, "I am here!"'

If anyone has any pointers that'd be great.. I have until Friday!

DRACULA: Already written about the diary layout being intimate and very gothic as it gives the sense that we are being told a dark secret, about Stoker's endless use of adjectives, the simile 'a long, low wail, so full of woe and pity that it woke me like the sound of a clarion', unusual sentence constructions like 'Huge it was' and 'I doubt not that', writing is very formal as it was seen to be a better way of communication at the time.

TWILIGHT: The difference between original ideas of vampires and more modern ideas - vampires are now seen as being capable of feeling emotions like love, they sparkle rather than burn in sunlight, Christian relics don't affect them which shows they are not necessarily all bad and children of the devil, writing is much like speech due to modern technologies changing the way we communicate and writing is not always seen as being so formal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending