Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I have a conditional offer to study at University of Bath, and I need to get a student loan to be able to pay for tuition. However, I have lived abroad for most of my life and don't have a National Insurance number but I am eligible for one. The earliest I can go to England to apply for one is in the summer, but I have no idea when the deadline for applying for a student loan is (and the NI number is needed for the form isn't it?). Am I beyond screwed?

What do I do :cry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehsponge)
    So I have a conditional offer to study at University of Bath, and I need to get a student loan to be able to pay for tuition. However, I have lived abroad for most of my life and don't have a National Insurance number but I am eligible for one. The earliest I can go to England to apply for one is in the summer, but I have no idea when the deadline for applying for a student loan is (and the NI number is needed for the form isn't it?). Am I beyond screwed?

What do I do :cry:
    I would contact student finance and explain your situation to them and see what they say. Do you have to actually come to England to apply for one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachel08)
    I would contact student finance and explain your situation to them and see what they say. Do you have to actually come to England to apply for one?
    Yep, the Directgov website says I need to go to a local Jobcentre and apply there, where they interview me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehsponge)
    Yep, the Directgov website says I need to go to a local Jobcentre and apply there, where they interview me.
    :confused:That's weird. I'd ring student finance, you probably aren't the first to have encountered this problem.

ReputationRep:
    better luck next year

ReputationRep:
    The deadline for guaranteed student finance for the first week is the 31st May
    Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jbuss)
    The deadline for guaranteed student finance for the first week is the 31st May
    Hope this helps
    Is it possible to apply for a student loan in your second year? Maybe it would be easier for my parents to just pay for the first year so I have time to actually get the NI number.

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever lived in the UK?

If you have, and your parents ever recieved child benefit for you then you will probably already have an NI number assigned to you, and you can try phoning the national insurance number registration helpline to find out what it is. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Dl1/Directories/DG_10026922.

You'd need to know your last UK address though and it can be a problem if they don't have the address they should have (for example, we moved out of the UK when my sister was 14, when she went back to uni it took her ages to find out what her national insurance number was because they'd somehow got the address of the post service we'd used as a 'care of' address; luckily, my dad remembered what it was and it did get sorted).

Or you can contact the job centre when you're in the UK. I believe when my sister went to sort hers out they just told it to her on the spot as they already had her on the system (they just needed her to give them the correct address so they knew it was actually her if that makes sense.)

You CAN apply for student loans without it. Don't not apply because you lack that one bit of information; everything else will get assessed without your NI number, it just won't fully go through until you can give it to them (i.e. you won't get paid but it should be all in place for you). I don't think my sister had that much of a delay once she'd given student finance her NI number and got her loan money not too late into the first term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heidigirl)
    Have you ever lived in the UK?

If you have, and your parents ever recieved child benefit for you then you will probably already have an NI number assigned to you, and you can try phoning the national insurance number registration helpline to find out what it is. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Dl1/Directories/DG_10026922.

You'd need to know your last UK address though and it can be a problem if they don't have the address they should have (for example, we moved out of the UK when my sister was 14, when she went back to uni it took her ages to find out what her national insurance number was because they'd somehow got the address of the post service we'd used as a 'care of' address; luckily, my dad remembered what it was and it did get sorted).

Or you can contact the job centre when you're in the UK. I believe when my sister went to sort hers out they just told it to her on the spot as they already had her on the system (they just needed her to give them the correct address so they knew it was actually her if that makes sense.)

You CAN apply for student loans without it. Don't not apply because you lack that one bit of information; everything else will get assessed without your NI number, it just won't fully go through until you can give it to them (i.e. you won't get paid but it should be all in place for you). I don't think my sister had that much of a delay once she'd given student finance her NI number and got her loan money not too late into the first term.
    Repped. I've never lived in the UK permanently, the last time I went there was shortly after my birth to my aunts house where we stayed for 10 weeks. My parents hate the UK so they have never returned... which seems to have screwed me up big time.

So if I apply now without my NIN, it will be all set up and all I'd have to do is get my NIN when I get to the UK this summer and then enter it? Do universities want the tuition fees straight away or are they done at the end of the year?

My parents have said they can support me financially for my first year if it all goes wrong, so I should be okay

ReputationRep:
    I haven't got my NI number as well, never actually received it/must have lost it and not known about it - Contact HM Revenue and they'll try to help - waiting on my NI number now.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.