Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Have I Plagiarized ?? Scary Stuff
    Hi guys I'm new to this site seems a bit confusing to me still so if this is posted wrong or in the wrong place sorry maybe some who knows how could re-direct the the thread to the right place. Right so here is my issue brace yourselves its pretty long. I'm a nursing student in my 3rd yr at Uni. I wrote a 2500 word essay on the change to practice including the change process and submitted to my uni online, when I checked through it after online submission it had been run through anti-palgrism programme and had come up with 22% matching, this seemed a lot to me so I looked at which area's were being flagged up and low and behold it was my worst night mare it was in my text.

Its was flagging up some lines in a little group of paragraphs about Kurt Lewin's change process, there were about 10 -12 lines max being highlighted as matching to a web site that I had used to get the information and ideas ( Change-managment-coach.com). These highlighted lines were interspersed and not as a block of writing. I had used this web site quite extensively for idea's as I knew little about Lewin's work and it fit really well with my essay and I had re-worded some lines from the web site and used them in this part of the essay here is an example of one of the lines that was flagging up;

Original source; "The unfreezing stage is probably one of the more important stages to understand in the world of change we live in today"

My essay; one of the most important stages to understand in the ever changing world we live in today is probably the unfreezing stage

I did reference the source at the end of my essay as well as in text a little way under the flagged block of writing under and image I used from this web site. One other puzzling thing that flagged up was one of Kurt Lewin's quotes I used, it was a quote of about 5 lines and I referenced in text directly after the quotation marks yet this quote is also flagged as coming from the same web sit as the other stuff, and yes it is used on that web site but it is Lewin's work so I don't understand this its looking as if I just went and copied everything- given I took my idea's from this web site, but lewin's quote is not the web pages its only cited there. I don't understand do you guys think I'm gonna get in hot water over this ?

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry you should be fine. If you have a match of about 20% they will look into it and odds are find that its not an issue. Its impossible to not have some level of plagarism, and they dont tend to even both investigating anything under about 10-15%.

Problem with these plagarism things is they look for quotes and the like but don't take into account if its refenced or not. As long as you have properly referenced it again you should be fine. It will bring up quotes as plagarism because obviously it's copied word for word, but when your tutor looks at the essay and sees it has been referenced you will be fine.

It's a bit of a shock to the system when you see a high score, when i first uploaded an essay like this i got a score of about 28%, panicked and took it straight to my tutor who explained it was fine. The system is fundamentally flawed and is used to just highlight any possible plagarism. But yeah, you should be fine. Don't worry about it

Hope you get a decent mark!

ReputationRep:
    Surely they'll tell you and give you a chance to explain before they take any serious action. Seems a bit unfair otherwise.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by starfish3)
    Have I Plagiarized ??
    I'm afraid you have - at least for the passage you 'reworded'.:erm:
    The direct quote is nothing for you to worry about, though, as long as you've referenced it properly.

ReputationRep:
    So long as you've referenced the sentences you 're-worded' to where you got them from, you'll be fine.

Original source; "The unfreezing stage is probably one of the more important stages to understand in the world of change we live in today"

My essay; one of the most important stages to understand in the ever changing world we live in today is probably the unfreezing stage
    Yes this is plagiarism. You should have put it into your own words better.

If you were totally set on keeping the original wording, you could have written something like

"The unfreezing stage, according to Author (Year), is "probably one of the more important stages to understand in the world of change we live in today".

How they deal with this will depend on how strict they are towards rewordings like this.

The direct quote that got flagged up is nothing to worry about if it's referenced properly i.e. in quotation marks, with in-text reference and full reference at end.

ReputationRep:
    Its was flagging up some lines in a little group of paragraphs about Kurt Lewin's change process, there were about 10 -12 lines max being highlighted as matching to a web site that I had used to get the information and ideas ( Change-managment-coach.com). These highlighted lines were interspersed and not as a block of writing. I had used this web site quite extensively for idea's as I knew little about Lewin's work and it fit really well with my essay and I had re-worded some lines from the web site and used them in this part of the essay here is an example of one of the lines that was flagging up;

My essay; "one of the most important stages to understand in the ever changing world we live in today is probably the unfreezing stage"
    That's a little bit borderline for me, mainly because you have clearly just rearranged the sentence (which is plagiarism) rather than reused a short phrase or idea and expressed it within your own sentence structure (which is fine).

For example, if you had left out the bit about the "world of change / ever changing world", the rest would probably be ok simply because there are only so many ways you can say "it is important to understand the freezing stage".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    That's a little bit borderline for me, mainly because you have clearly just rearranged the sentence (which is plagiarism) rather than reused a short phrase or idea and expressed it within your own sentence structure (which is fine).

For example, if you had left out the bit about the "world of change / ever changing world", the rest would probably be ok simply because there are only so many ways you can say "it is important to understand the freezing stage".
    O GOD !!!!!!! Well some of you think it might be ok but there are a lot of you who think I have plagerized and my uni crack down hard on this issue they are way fussy about it.

Athough this in mind I did think it would be fine if I reworded the sentences that I wanted to use and included the original source in my reference list, as well as this it is referenced in text.......but not in text after every idea I used and I think that is where the problem is. I am kicking myself for not just adding the reference to the end of those area's where I closely used this web page's ideas !!!!!!!! Why did I not just do it I actually meant too but so carried away looking up information and structuring my debate....if I could get my essay back right now I would correct it...such a shame it was otherwise a great essay and all in my own words but for that one small area, I'm so cross with myself. Now I just wonder whats going to happen what kind of trouble I'm in )o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlietheunicorn)
    Don't worry you should be fine. If you have a match of about 20% they will look into it and odds are find that its not an issue. Its impossible to not have some level of plagarism, and they dont tend to even both investigating anything under about 10-15%.

Problem with these plagarism things is they look for quotes and the like but don't take into account if its refenced or not. As long as you have properly referenced it again you should be fine. It will bring up quotes as plagarism because obviously it's copied word for word, but when your tutor looks at the essay and sees it has been referenced you will be fine.

It's a bit of a shock to the system when you see a high score, when i first uploaded an essay like this i got a score of about 28%, panicked and took it straight to my tutor who explained it was fine. The system is fundamentally flawed and is used to just highlight any possible plagarism. But yeah, you should be fine. Don't worry about it

Hope you get a decent mark!
    Thanks this is really reassuring, although everyone else on here seems to think I'm gonna get in trouble, I'll keep your post in mind just so I can get to sleep tonight.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you'll get i'n trouble but you did plagiarise. Simply changing the word order doesn't constitute original thought. You either come up with your own ideas, credit someone elses or express an opinion.

From that one sentence, all you did was reexpress his idea, and pretend it was yours by not crediting him.

ReputationRep:
    My understanding of it is that if you use someone else's idea, even if in your own words, you have to reference it. I'm not sure if all unis and courses take that attitude, but it's best to be on the safe side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jcm88)
    I don't think you'll get i'n trouble but you did plagiarise. Simply changing the word order doesn't constitute original thought. You either come up with your own ideas, credit someone elses or express an opinion.

From that one sentence, all you did was reexpress his idea, and pretend it was yours by not crediting him.
    You are right, it is referanced but I don't think its correctly done, as I should have written his name after every idea of his that I used. I do hope I won't in trouble, if I do fail all I should have to do is correctly credit him and I should get a pass

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about it -just be cautious in the future. Its difficult sometimes to know how/when to put it accreditation; after every idea, every sentence, every paragraph, etc. The truth is, you're always better off talking to your instructor, that way there's no surprises. I always struggle with what constitutes 'common' knowledge. Do you have to credit a fact that is widely known and not the original thought of the author you've read? I still have no idea.

ReputationRep:
    Say bye bye to your uni place.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.