Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I recently got three offers from medical schools - yet, despite previously being really keen, I am having quite a lot of doubts about medicine and whether I can actually commit to it. I was really pleased when I got the offers, but now I can't seem to get that excited about them, and actually feel a bit nervous about knowing that at 17/18 I have pretty much decided my career and much of my life. I keep having moments where I just want to withdraw and apply for a standard three year course (the human science course at Oxford and UCL looks brilliant) - as do various others. I feel I have almost shoehorned myself into medicine - without truly knowing much about it.

I'm really sorry if this winds up somebody who failed to get in - and I feel a bit stupid having these thoughts (especially given the cost, time and effort of getting in).

I'm not really sure what I want out of posting on here - I was just wondering if anyone is in the same position or what anyones thoughts are?

many thanks

ReputationRep:
    where have you got offers?

Visit the uni's? Speak to some ppl in the profession see if that confirms anything. But realistically you should be sure medicine is for you when you apply, hence why is such a gruelling and competitive process. None the less congrats on the offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LewDacris)
    where have you got offers?

Visit the uni's? Speak to some ppl in the profession see if that confirms anything. But realistically you should be sure medicine is for you when you apply, hence why is such a gruelling and competitive process. None the less congrats on the offers.
    thanks - newcastle, liverpool and sgul.

well that's the problem, at the time I thought it was amazing, it's only really been in the last month where I have had doubts. I have found it difficult, the more I think about it, to know it's for me - I'm not sure I can be 'sure', I don't really know what the jobs like, and I feel a bit overwhelmed with making such a big life choice
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by indecisivemedic)

well that's the problem, at the time I thought it was amazing, it's only really been in the last month where I have had doubts. I have found it difficult, the more I think about it, to know it's for me - I'm not sure I can be 'sure', I don't really know what the jobs like, and I feel a bit overwhelmed with making such a big life choice
    The feeling of being overwhelmed by the sheer massiveness of the task ahead of you is pretty normal, apparently. I remember some threads made by prefreshers (who I assume are probably now medics!) last year around August time about them being awestruck with the task they've lined up for themselves. It's never hit you before because there's a big difference between 'perhaps maybe going to do something' and definitely having it in black and white that you're going to study medicine. It hit me the other week as well - it certainly is humbling.

Just remember all the reasons why you wanted to study it in the first place - and remember that being a doctor is not the only career a medicine degree leads to! You've come all this way, and you're obviously going to make a good medic because otherwise you wouldn't have been given offers - so just ride it out. If you get onto the course and feel you hate it, the content doesn't suit you, etc. etc. then that's a whole different kettle of fish, of course, but just take it as it comes. There's no need to make a rash decision!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    The feeling of being overwhelmed by the sheer massiveness of the task ahead of you is pretty normal, apparently. I remember some threads made by prefreshers (who I assume are probably now medics!) last year around August time about them being awestruck with the task they've lined up for themselves. It's never hit you before because there's a big difference between 'perhaps maybe going to do something' and definitely having it in black and white that you're going to study medicine. It hit me the other week as well - it certainly is humbling.

Just remember all the reasons why you wanted to study it in the first place - and remember that being a doctor is not the only career a medicine degree leads to! You've come all this way, and you're obviously going to make a good medic because otherwise you wouldn't have been given offers - so just ride it out. If you get onto the course and feel you hate it, the content doesn't suit you, etc. etc. then that's a whole different kettle of fish, of course, but just take it as it comes. There's no need to make a rash decision!
    Thankyou

No, I won't me making any stupid, spur-of-the-moment ucas withdrawls. I think I'm just going to focus on A2 exams and mull it over during summer (in amongst having a fun summer!).

I think the main problem is that, frankly, I just don't feel old and wise enough to be making such a big choice, and I actually wish I had applied for a three year degree with sights on grad entry (more competitive and expensive I know). Your totally correct in saying that doing medicine is an enormous undertaking - that's the bit that worries me!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thankyou

No, I won't me making any stupid, spur-of-the-moment ucas withdrawls. I think I'm just going to focus on A2 exams and mull it over during summer (in amongst having a fun summer!).

I think the main problem is that, frankly, I just don't feel old and wise enough to be making such a big choice, and I actually wish I had applied for a three year degree with sights on grad entry (more competitive and expensive I know). Your totally correct in saying that doing medicine is an enormous undertaking - that's the bit that worries me!
    If worst comes to worst, you'll still be studying a degree that has a very large biomedical science component, as well as a degree which develops lots of important skills. Unless you're thinking about having an epiphany and want to go off and study Art History or something; it's still a degree that's relevant to your interests.

I'm not sure if I'm right in saying this or not, but there's no need for you to actually go into the medical profession after graduation, either.

ReputationRep:

I think it's probably quite common to have doubts. Could you organise some work experience for the summer, perhaps, to put your mind at rest about what the job entails?

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou

To be perfectly honest, I think that we all felt that way before we started. Family and friends all congratulating you...and inside you feel inadequate.

Only you can decide, but I'd advise at least trying it for a while

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I recently got three offers from medical schools - yet, despite previously being really keen, I am having quite a lot of doubts about medicine and whether I can actually commit to it. I was really pleased when I got the offers, but now I can't seem to get that excited about them, and actually feel a bit nervous about knowing that at 17/18 I have pretty much decided my career and much of my life. I keep having moments where I just want to withdraw and apply for a standard three year course (the human science course at Oxford and UCL looks brilliant) - as do various others. I feel I have almost shoehorned myself into medicine - without truly knowing much about it.

I'm really sorry if this winds up somebody who failed to get in - and I feel a bit stupid having these thoughts (especially given the cost, time and effort of getting in).

I'm not really sure what I want out of posting on here - I was just wondering if anyone is in the same position or what anyones thoughts are?

many thanks
    Heyy, I think what you're going through can be a side- effect of exam stress as well- this is a pretty difficult time of year for students! I just got into dentistry as a grad, and i'm having teeny niggling doubts. Although I think i'm more nervous about being a fresher again than anything, they're still there!

Think back to why you wanted to do medicine in the first place, hopefully that should help you along =), and try not to let it bother you, just concentrate on exams. Once you've got the grades you're sorted either way!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    I think it's probably quite common to have doubts. Could you organise some work experience for the summer, perhaps, to put your mind at rest about what the job entails?
    I had a lot of it under my belt pre-app - at the time it all seemed fantastic, but as the year has gone on, I sort of seemed to have changed in my outlook on jobs, medicine, what I want from a university etc.

Re-doing the work exp and seeing how I feel after all this is a good idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayshizzle)
    Heyy, I think what you're going through can be a side- effect of exam stress as well- this is a pretty difficult time of year for students! I just got into dentistry as a grad, and i'm having teeny niggling doubts. Although I think i'm more nervous about being a fresher again than anything, they're still there!

Think back to why you wanted to do medicine in the first place, hopefully that should help you along =), and try not to let it bother you, just concentrate on exams. Once you've got the grades you're sorted either way!
    haha congratulations :yy:

as i said exams are my priority at the moment, and i shall take it from there in summer.

thanks for the responses everyone.

ReputationRep:
    I can relate. For as long as I can remember I thought I wanted to do medicine, to the point where I never considered anything else, and suddenly I got to 17 and thought 'whoaaa scary' and realised I had been so driven towards doing medicine that I had never actually really truly thought it through properly. And suddenly thought maybe I would do French instead, cos i like languages. But I had these medicine offers. But I went for medicine. It peaked and troughed thru medschool - at times I thought "why did I decide to go for this" and at other times I utterly loved it - pretty normal really. But now, several years out of medical school, I'm so glad I didn't change my mind at the last minute, and I love my job (most of the time, anyway...)

I know a few people who felt that they'd been shoehoerned into medicine and never really wanted to - some of them intercalated in bioscience and then just stayed in the lab with their BSc and never went to clinical school but did PhD instead - so effectively did 3 years at uni and got a BSc for it, but just in a roundabout way having done two medicine ungrad years rather than2 bioscience ones. All sorts of options are possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    If worst comes to worst, you'll still be studying a degree that has a very large biomedical science component, as well as a degree which develops lots of important skills. Unless you're thinking about having an epiphany and want to go off and study Art History or something; it's still a degree that's relevant to your interests.

I'm not sure if I'm right in saying this or not, but there's no need for you to actually go into the medical profession after graduation, either.
    Yeah, I agree - its not required, but having done five years of vocational training geared towards becoming a doctor - are the options not reasonably limited to the research/medical field (although I guess there would be nothing stopping somebody using a med degree in the same way as a generic degree)

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

many thanks
    hi

i feel the similar to you, and i've finished med school now! i didn't have doubts before starting, but during the course and afterwards, i'm still not sure it's exactly what i want to do in life. as you have seen from the replies, i think most people have had doubts some where down the line. it's only natural. people do say medicine is a lifestyle, not just a job.

unless you feel extra strongly about a different course, i think you should continue and take up your place. i know if i never completed the medical course i would have always thought what if? if you find out later you don't want to do it, you can finish after early doing your intercalated bsc or do something different altogether after finishing your degree (in my year, a couple people have found jobs in investment banking after graduation).

x

ReputationRep:
    The majority of people here would murder to be in your position. If I were you, I would not be happier. Indecisiveness is, no offense, a pathetic trait and honestly a sign of weakness. I tend to have a decisive personality, however, so am likely different from you.

There's just no pleasing some people...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairycakes)
    hi

i feel the similar to you, and i've finished med school now! i didn't have doubts before starting, but during the course and afterwards, i'm still not sure it's exactly what i want to do in life. as you have seen from the replies, i think most people have had doubts some where down the line. it's only natural. people do say medicine is a lifestyle, not just a job.

unless you feel extra strongly about a different course, i think you should continue and take up your place. i know if i never completed the medical course i would have always thought what if? if you find out later you don't want to do it, you can finish after early doing your intercalated bsc or do something different altogether after finishing your degree (in my year, a couple people have found jobs in investment banking after graduation).

x
    thanks

that's the train of thought I was on - by being a medic it is a lot more self-defining than those who do general degrees, and it seems to entail a lot less flexibility if you know what I mean. The prospect of entering a profession at 17/18 and leaving it at 65 is a strange thought - there are a lot of advantages to medicine, and it's a great job. I think I'm going to do some thinking time over summer and arrange some more work exp. I think sometimes it's easy to focus on getting into medicine - and not actually on what it leads to!

(Original post by navarre)
    The majority of people here would murder to be in your position. If I were you, I would not be happier. Indecisiveness is, no offense, a pathetic trait and honestly a sign of weakness. I tend to have a decisive personality, however, so am likely different from you.

I am aware that some people are not as fortunate as myself (as I said in the first post). I don't think it's in anybodys interest to commit to something I don't want to do. I'm not interested in a debate on the semantics of weakness - but I don't consider questioning if I have made the right choice in terms of degree/career a sign of weakness - it's fairly natural. As a point of interest (I don't know if you are a pre-applicant or not) a few months ago I would have been flabbergasted about how I am feeling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by navarre)

bit bitter ey mate?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

many thanks
    I feel the same but I'm sure it will be fine once I get there and can get stuck into medical school life. If in the end I don't like it medicines a good degree combined with an intercalated qualification means that I don’t think I will struggle to find a job/further study I do like. But yeah I still think being a doctor will be good anyway so its all fine...probably... doubt is normal!

ReputationRep:
    I understand, it's a huge undertaking. I think we all can feel overwhelmed

I have no idea what I am letting myself in for, none of us pre-freshers do.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

many thanks
    I was *this* close to giving up my offers in June to go to flight school.
    The way I see it, give it a go, it is only two years longer than a 'normal' degree and once you have it, no-one can take it away from you. You can always sack off 'doctoring' and go work in a regular job if you decide it isn't for you, it's still a degree at the end of the day.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.