This discussion is closed.
Babyboo2
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Plz could someone help me on my biology coursework
I need to compare the water potential of a potato to a carrot. And I dont have a clue how to set up my experiment so I hope someone can help. Plz plz send me some coursework info or leave an email address so I can ask for it.
superior
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Babyboo2)
I need to compare the water potential of a potato to a carrot. And I dont have a clue how to set up my experiment so I hope someone can help. Plz plz send me some coursework info or leave an email address so I can ask for it.
ive done a-level biology and ive never heard of measuring a potatos potential !!!!!
can u make it clearer ..
happydadtoo
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Babyboo2)
[COLOR=navy]
This is a standard GCSE experiment :rolleyes:
take a range of solutions of equal volume - it matters little if they are salt or sucrose. A suitable range might be 0 (i.e. water), 0.2; 0.4; 0.6 0.8; 1.0M. (better would be to combine with a friend who does .1;.3;.5 etc and combine results
Next cut 'chips' of each vegetable, using a cork borer. They should all be the same length and the longer the better - 5cm of so is about right. Note that potatoes are uniform within, whilst carrots have a definite 'core', so you will need to pick the largest carrots you can find, cut them into 6-7 cm lengths and then 'bore' them from top to bottom (i.e. NOT across). For potatoes, it does not matter (as long as they have no skin)
Next, get all 'chips' wet, then blot dry with paper towel (reason below).
Weigh chips
Place in solutions for 30, 60, 90 mins (or whatever)
Remove each chip (mounted needle); blot dry (now you should see why you get them wet to start with); reweigh and replace.
Plot graph[U][B]s of % gain or loss in mass against concentration. Graph should go from +5% or so to -15%; the value where they cross the X-axis (i.e. no change in mass) is the AVERAGE WP of the cells in the 'chip'
Make sure you keep all other factors constant
Easy to think of reasons why method is a bit weak
Science (and biology) behind expt is Fick's Law; osmosis; toxic effects of salt at high conc.
Note that a really good version of this experiment is to compare potatoes of different ages - as the potato matures it loses water, then, as it sprouts it begins to turn starch into sugars.
Quicker version of this is to use banana, which ripens very quickly, so gives results in about 14 days from green to black - just sample a different banana off the bunch ('hand', to be correct) every 2-3 days.
Good luck - if you could not work this out, I think you might need it............ :rolleyes:
Mystic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I did that coursework before Christmas. You may have done a simular experiment in GCSE with Osmosis. I used a piece of Swede instead of Potato, which we used in GCSE.

Happydadtoo, has said every thing I did for the coursework, if you need any more info, just ask us or your teacher.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (2)
28.57%
Yes- I don't like it (1)
14.29%
No- I want it (3)
42.86%
No- I don't want it (1)
14.29%

Watched Threads