Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm currently doing a work placement at the moment in a vets and I hate it, this is the first placement ive had for a vets as well so i'm sort of worried that they all might be like this. I've liked all my other work experience apart from this. Have you ever found any experience that you really hate?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear that What is it that you don't like? Is it the people or are you not allowed to do interesting enough things? My vet placements all tended to get better as the week went on and I showed interest (by writing down everything in a notebook) and willingness (by doing things like cleaning out kennels before asked). I'm sure you're doing this already so maybe you just need to persevere with them if they're not particularly forward in being welcoming. They'll appreciate it if you continue to be actively interested

ReputationRep:
    Its a bit of the people and the actual experience. The people are mean and don't let me do anything. Today I was waiting around for 3 hours asking constantly is there anything that needs doing cause its only my second day so I don't know what needs doing and their reply is no nothing needs doing and im just stood there like WHAT AM I MEANT TO DO THEN!!!? I think it could just be the practise that I'm at cause the vet seems rather rude and arrogant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beccac94)
    Its a bit of the people and the actual experience. The people are mean and don't let me do anything. Today I was waiting around for 3 hours asking constantly is there anything that needs doing cause its only my second day so I don't know what needs doing and their reply is no nothing needs doing and im just stood there like WHAT AM I MEANT TO DO THEN!!!? I think it could just be the practise that I'm at cause the vet seems rather rude and arrogant.
    That's really sad, if they agreed to have you for work experience they could at least try! I know it's a real pain but try and stick it out and don't let them grind your enthusiasm down. How much longer are you there for?

When there was a lull at some of the vets I've been to I asked to read their copies of the Veterinary Times/In Practice or some of their theory books - they always seem to have a mini library where I go! Also try befriending the nurses as well as the vets, they're always busy! Can you watch consults in the afternoons if ops are in the mornings?

ReputationRep:
    I'm only there till friday thank god and they don't really seem to have that many books just the odd one and most of them aren't really that helpful (already ready them and only been there like 2 days) so I just spend most of my time reading the posters.

The vet nurses are nicer than the vets but there the same they don't really seem to be able to give me work to do most of the time.

The ops are in the afternoons and the consults are in the morning but she doesn't let me go to most of the consults for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    Part of it will probably be because you aren't allowed to do certain things due to 'health and safety' But two of my placements at vets were a bit dull. 1 of them just made me clean (which i dont mind at all in moderation... just not ALL DAY) ...etc and i missed out on loads of good stuff happening! and the others were just quiet -but lovely people so it was okay.
    My other two placements (out of the 4) have been brilliant and i get to see lots of interesting things -and only do any boring tasks if i offer to do them which is nice So stick this week out -it's another one down for your list of w/e, even if it's rubbish! because you'll go to other practices which will deffos make up for it! As long as you enjoy it when you're actually seeing stuff, and could imagine yourself doing it then don't let 1 placement affect your decision for your future career!

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I have enjoyed parts of all my placements and parts I haven't been keen on. Some, such as the zoo, were AMAZING but I had to do a lot of chopping which caused me to have loads of blisters from the cold

I found that at the vets I did W/E at there was a lot of standing around and watching, I prefer getting stuck in and doing things then watching as I feel like I'm in the way. Luckily though they were really nice people so I didn't have to deal with arrogant vets! So nice in fact that I now have a job there

You have to stick with it, of course, and normally things improve as the week goes on as they begin to know that you are willing to help and they'll warm to you. Don't go round with a bad attitude even if they begin to wear you down as they'll be writing your reference on Friday! Always smile and always ask if anything needs done, it can't harm anything. Also try and ask questions when the vet is doing things if you can, that way you'll learn things and begin to get a bit friendlier with them!

ReputationRep:
    I'm only there till friday thank god and they don't really seem to have that many books just the odd one and most of them aren't really that helpful (already ready them and only been there like 2 days) so I just spend most of my time reading the posters.

The vet nurses are nicer than the vets but there the same they don't really seem to be able to give me work to do most of the time.

The ops are in the afternoons and the consults are in the morning but she doesn't let me go to most of the consults for some reason.
    i've had a very similar experience at one vet practice that i went to, the best advice i can give is book to go to lots of different practices so that you get a wide experience of placements, and other than that just learn what you can from being there, one practice i went to the only thing i really learnt is that i never wanted to be a vet like them, they were so negative and unenthusiastic and basically didnt want to be there, just stick with it and keep smiling

ReputationRep:
    I've liked all my other work experience apart from this. Have you ever found any experience that you really hate?
    I originally thought I wanted to be a doctor. I couldn't get any shadowing work in a hospital or with a GP, and I'm a grad so I'm older and just got a job in a nursing home. I really, really hated it.

On my first day I got racist abuse from one of the senior member of staff, who thought the colour of my skin indicated that I was lazy. He told me to get "an easy job on a supermarket till" because it was all I was worth.

The home was seriously understaffed, there was no training, and the residents mostly had much more serious mental health problems than I had been warned about. I was working with geriatric dementia patients, but several of them had underlying conditions like bi-polar disorder or alcohol related problems that meant they were more likely to get violent.

Sometimes you had to make horrible choices. You should only lift somebody in pairs, but if there are no other staff do you leave somebody on the ground or lift them by yourself? One patient was doubly incontinent but refused to wash, if somebody is very confused and doesn't want to be clean, and you can't convince them, what do you do? Should you leave them because they are an autonomous person and have the right to decide, or should you make them wash because they are putting their health at risk and you have their best interests at heart? How do you convince somebody who has limited mental capacity?

Eventually I gave up, and decided I'd rather be a vet. But I'll probably never be completely certain that I've done the right thing, and I still wonder about it. At the end of the day you just have to make a judgement call about whether you think you will enjoy the job overall, and sadly that does involve making a decision with limited knowledge. Work experience can give you a bit more information, but if you have a biased sample of experiences, there isn't much you can do about it.

I guess I'm saying, think about in perspective compared with doing the job overall.

ReputationRep:
    Okay thankyou everyone I still want to be a vet and I can't wait to go to my other placement its jsut this one tbh has put me off wanting to go to them but I'm still going to go

ReputationRep:
    I had one that started like this- most of the vets ignored me and one of them started by giving me a really hard time asking if i knew what i was doing and how much it was going to cost etc, was very negative. But i persevered and as the week went on he was quite surprised that i knew certain things, so just use any opportunity to show that you're serious and you've done your research. The important thing is ticking off a week for your PS and ideally learning something useful, but don't be too disheartened- some of them are just not fun!

ReputationRep:
    i think everyone's going to have a placement like this, but don't be disheartened, it's nearly over! there's not much use in me giving you any advice and maybe consider this for the future, but just be enthusiastic. instead of asking if they have anything you can do (it might get repetitive and just a habit for them to say no), when you see a nurse doing something say 'oh, want some help?!' or after an operation 'do you want me to wash the instruments'. they are boring jobs but you work your way up really. unlike farms you won't get chucked in the deep end.

i do a weekly placement at my vets and when i was first there it was just preparing swabs, mopping floors, sweeping hair etc and the more i offered to do a specific task, the more i got given and the more they were happy i was there. then as they begin to trust you then you get to do some 'good jobs' which i like to call them, like using the blood test machine or preparing the slides for the microscope and the more animal contact you have. just act confident and start up conversations, even it's about the operation that you're watching - if you think you're disturbing them, then just say 'can i ask a question?'. we're also all going to encounter the vet/nurse who tells you you're mad for wanting to be a vet and assumes you're going in it with your eyes closed, but that's why we're doing work experience!

hope the next one's okay!

ReputationRep:
    :sadpanda:The first work experience placement I did was at a small veterinary practice. It was terrible - to begin with.

:sheep:Within the first hour or so the vet had to put 2 animals down, an elderly cat and a dog with kidney problems. Of course, I realised there was bound to be at least one euthanasia, but nothing can really prepare you, can it?
    To make things worse, the vet was feeling ill so wasn't in a very chatty mood (it wasn't her fault at all, but it did make things a little awkward for me because I didn't want to sound as if I was nagging if I asked loads of questions). I was just stood in a corner, watching and feeling incredibly awkward. And, as I'm naturally quite a quiet person, I was cautious about asking questions - especially as I'd just got there.

:snoozing:After lunch, another vet came to replace the first vet who'd gone home sick. She was much friendlier and encouraged me to ask questions, and even asked if I would like to help restrain a dog who was having an injection. Despite the improvement in the afternoon shift, I still went home and cried, the doubts starting to creep in.

:bunny2:The next day I went back there with mixed emotions. I was so certain I wanted to be a vet, but what if I just wasn't cut out to be one? I needn't have worried; it was surgery day and they trusted me to help prep the equipment and sort out the kennels. They even encouraged me to get right up close to watch the operations.

:koala:As the week progressed, I began to have more responsibilities and the vet even asked if I wanted to go on one of the rounds at our local RSPCA centre! After that potentially disastrous first day, I tried to remain optimistic - and soon I began to actually enjoy myself! All in all, I'm so glad I stuck it out - I've even got a two-week placement planned for this Easter holiday at their sister branch, which specializes in large animal and equine.

:lazy:The best thing to do would be, as previous posters have suggested, to try and book a place at another vets' and try not to dwell too much on your bad experience. After all, the veterinary proffession is an extremely rewarding one, so don't let it get to you. I'm sure if you book a placement at another vets', you'll really enjoy it

:badger::bear: I apologize for the excessive use of smilies. It is only now that I finally learnt how to do it. Sorry. Hehe. :bunny::pig2:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah my first placement at a vets was exactly like yours!
    I couldn't do anything, the vets were really rude, I wasn't really allowed to watch operations, I'd go in for a bit and then be asked to go clean floors etc.
    I knew I wouldn't be able to do much but I expected to see a bit more and be treated a bit nicer?!

Luckily the 2nd vets I went to were lovely, everyone was really friendly, and although I still did all the cleaning etc, I saw all the operations (bar one), stayed for consults, hands on with animals and love it. Just grin and bare it for the rest of the week

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.