Turn on thread page Beta

Has any one else done this in a driving test....? watch

ReputationRep:
    Terminated the test themselves?

Today I had my first test. Drove brilliantly for 10 minutes (no minors here!) then for some weird reason completely failed to stop at a give way, there were no cars but the instructor had to use the break - So I knew I'd failed. I asked what I could do now and he got me to pull over and said I could continue "for practice" or I could get out and walk to the test centre. Somehow I ended up driving back to the test centre (not sure how this came about!) but it's written on my form that I terminated the test.

I have heard of people's tests being terminated by the examiner but never someone choosing to end their test. I just didn't see the point of driving around for 30 minutes when I knew i'd failed! I feel like a complete idiot and that I've wasted everyone's time.

ReputationRep:
    Clearly just me then. I'm special :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I asked to when i knew i'd failed and she wouldn't let me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)

Today I had my first test. Drove brilliantly for 10 minutes (no minors here!) then for some weird reason completely failed to stop at a give way, there were no cars but the instructor had to use the break - So I knew I'd failed. I asked what I could do now and he got me to pull over and said I could continue "for practice" or I could get out and walk to the test centre. Somehow I ended up driving back to the test centre (not sure how this came about!) but it's written on my form that I terminated the test.

I have heard of people's tests being terminated by the examiner but never someone choosing to end their test. I just didn't see the point of driving around for 30 minutes when I knew i'd failed! I feel like a complete idiot and that I've wasted everyone's time.
    get your tits out and he would change his mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alison1992)
    I asked to when i knew i'd failed and she wouldn't let me
    Mine didn't want to but I refused to continue with the test! I'm so stupid! Need to stay calm in future

ReputationRep:
    You paid £62 for only a few minutes of driving?

I failed my first test within 10 minutes and I saw his mark Serious, but since I'd payed I continued as its all driving experience, and you are still all alone so its experience for the future.

If you fail, at that moment you arent good enough to drive so continuing would have given you more experience

Good luck for your next test, driving and getting no minors for 1/4 of a test obviously means you are capabale of passing

Most people don't want to waste their money. The practice is good - now you'll be walking into your second test with just about as much experience as someone taking their first. Plus, like said above, that's £60 down the swanny.

I failed my first test within 5 minutes. I was disappointed but I carried on because the experience counts for so much. Good driving is all about how much experience you have. Copping out whenever things get tough (same sort of thing as only having driving lessons when it's daylight and good conditions like some people do) only makes you a worse driver.

In short, nothing good comes out of terminating your own test prematurely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Right Guard 3.D)
    You paid £62 for only a few minutes of driving?

I failed my first test within 10 minutes and I saw his mark Serious, but since I'd payed I continued as its all driving experience, and you are still all alone so its experience for the future.

If you fail, at that moment you arent good enough to drive so continuing would have given you more experience

Good luck for your next test, driving and getting no minors for 1/4 of a test obviously means you are capabale of passing
    I know that's why I felt so bad, such a waste of time and effort! I was too angry and upset to continue though. I think I would feel worse if I had continued and ended up with like 40 minors because I wasn't concentrating.

I am not sure whether to book another test, don't think I could cope it if happened again! lol. But thanks anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Most people don't want to waste their money. The practice is good - now you'll be walking into your second test with just about as much experience as someone taking their first. Plus, like said above, that's £60 down the swanny.

I failed my first test within 5 minutes. I was disappointed but I carried on because the experience counts for so much. Good driving is all about how much experience you have. Copping out whenever things get tough (same sort of thing as only having driving lessons when it's daylight and good conditions like some people do) only makes you a worse driver.

Unless I'd continued and caused an accident, right?

Unless I'd continued and caused an accident, right?
    Don't you know what those pedals in the passenger footwell are for?

ReputationRep:
    I knew I'd failed pretty early on in my first test but my instructor always told me to carry on regardless, just in case what you thought was a 'serious' was actually a minor... Of course sometimes you just know that you've failed but realising that you made the mistake is half the battle, and you might as well carry on driving to get experience and hopefully learn from that mistake good luck with your next test, I'm sure you'll do great.

ReputationRep:
    Mine didn't want to but I refused to continue with the test! I'm so stupid! Need to stay calm in future
    driving examiners are horrible people, true say

An emergency stop could cause an accident if someone was close behind me or something...
    Heh, if you're that nervous on the roads, you should probably stay off them for a while.

ReputationRep:
    In my second test I'd already failed and was carrying on driving. A woman walked out in front of me (out of nowhere honest, she was texting) and it really shook me up. He said we could go back and wouldn't tell anyone lol. I just pulled over for a few mins then carried on.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by FXX)

This

ReputationRep:

Now excuse me if I'm just being a bit thick here, but you don't have to stop at give way signs do you? I thought that was stop signs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doughnut)
    Now excuse me if I'm just being a bit thick here, but you don't have to stop at give way signs do you? I thought that was stop signs
    Maye it was one where you can't see what's coming of so would need to stop anyway?

ReputationRep:
    I guess if the road is clear and you can see clearly then you dont have to stop but slowly roll then when you know its safe carry on. If there were traffic then obviously you'll have to give way lol.

ReputationRep:
    I failed my test for pretty much the same thing last week! It was horrible, I asked if I could go back to the driving centre as I was really upset cos I only got 2 minors, did my manouvure perfectly, and had about 15 minutes left, but was really upset so didn't want to continue driving for 15 minutes. She refused to let me finish the test early. Bleh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    This
    I don't really see how 30 minutes of driving was going to give me that much more experience to be honest, it's unlikely i'll get the same route again on my next test anyway

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 9, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.