Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    My names Albert and I am just finishing my first year as an undergraduate, I have serious concerns about my course, University and area I live in which I’ll disclose now.

In regards to the course I don’t feel as if the work is gearing you up to a job within the workplace which for me is important, I would like to get some hands on experience on the tools used within the workplace so I can feel like I am ready to enter the world of work. The most disappointing thing for me is what they are teaching is very basic, I don’t feel like I am out of A-Levels accept you sit in a lecture room and your learning is up to you, for example; some of my lectures finish 30-45 minutes early which is really uninspiring and demotivating especially as I could be at a much higher University.

Have to say that the course doesn’t hold many that are actually interested in the subject itself, almost using it as an excuse to get a degree and whilst the first year modules seem quite easy they could be onto something, anyhow their lack of interest is probably best showed in the society in which there has been 3 meet ups cancelled to lack of interest.

To the area, it’s a very deprived part of town whilst there are good sides ie being cheap, there really isn’t much to do here although that’s not concerning for me but jobs are limited and whilst the accommodation is very poor with influx of mice on a weekly basis.

My dilemma is, I’ve now got exams coming up in May and June like everyone else but I do not want to attend this University, I know if I quit then the guilt will get the better of me in regards to feeling a failure but I can honestly say that 90% of the people on my course wouldn’t be employable. Would you just finish of your exams then see what happens in July, I have applied for other Universities whilst awaiting a reply although if I quit my current University and don’t get in anywhere else for next year then it’s a catastrophe.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.