Turn on thread page Beta

I hate people when... watch

Announcements

I hate people when they play down things I have done.
    I'll explain -
    My friend is always asking me for help and advice on everything, life and uni work. This is fine. She just seems to find it hard to get going, motivate herself and be confident in her own ideas.
    But she'll have been sat researching for an essay for around 15/20 mins, and will make a comment like "i just can't do this, I ****ing give up"... and i'll say something like "don't worry, just keep looking things up and it'll come to you".
    Then I'll get a comment like "well it's ok for YOU, YOU'RE just smart". It really bugs me. I not the most intellegent person in the world, but what I do know is because I've worked really hard in the past and tried my best, I don't naturally have some advantage against her.

I guess I just want to know if anyone else gets this? She doesn't motivate herself to work very hard, always has a negative attitude, and then thinks I do well because I'm MAGICALLY smarter then her, rather then just because I've worked really hard.

ReputationRep:
    Take it as a compliment!

ReputationRep:
    Does this seriously bug you enough to make a TSR post about it?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it normally comes from people who dont do any work, get bad grades and then blame everything/everyone else :rolleyes:

What's the issue? It's just someone giving you a compliment essentially.

ReputationRep:
    I hate it when you make a thread about people playing down your achievements.

ReputationRep:
    stop crying

ReputationRep:
    Unfotunately this tends to happen a lot when people do well and their friends get frustrated and jealous. I have a friend who exactly fits your description of your friend!

People don't tend to see behind the scenes when you're shut away in your room pouring over books for hours on end. They just see you getting good grades and assume that you're naturally academically gifted... It's annoying when they get angry at you about it as well, as if it's your fault that you're doing better than they are.

It's nice to get recognition for working hard, rather than people just assuming that it's effortless and that you don't need to put any work in. But then, I guess (for my anyway) the recognition comes when I do get the good grades!

I know it's aggrivating at times, but, as Roo Bix just said, just take it as a compliment. I'm sure your friend didn't mean it in an offensive way, she's probably just stressed.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2011
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.