Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do Drugs influence creativity and more innovation/imagination? watch

ReputationRep:
    Just take a look at Charlie Sheen..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Dope makes you think in different ways. I wouldn't say it increased your cognitive ability, just allows you to relax more than normal, allowing your mind to be more free in it's exploration.

I sound like a proper ****ing hippy now...
    Yeh then you forget what you were thinking about, and you feel like a noob again

ReputationRep:
    Had to a presentation on this last week. Awesome too.
    If you're at Uni and have access to the journals, this paper pretty much sums it up...

Sessa, B. (2008). Is it time to revisit the role of psychedelic drugs in enhancing human creativity? Journal of Psychopharmacology, 22 (8), 821-827.

ReputationRep:
    I watched an interesting documentary about LSD a few days ago, in which they showed you an experiment where they invited several of the top researchers, academics and scientists to a room and dosed them with LSD. They asked the group to bring with them a particular set of problems which they had been grappling with and finding difficult to solve, gave them the LSD and let them have their fun for a few hours (playing with fruit and the like lol), then calmly told them whilst they were peaking that it was time to get on with some work. All of the group reported making substantial progress and getting a different perspective on their problem, which was extremely helpful in solving the problem. Unfortunately the government in America shut down all such experiments in the late 60s and early 70s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blame)
    Just take a look at Charlie Sheen..
    I sense a lot of jealousy from someone who is not WINNING.

ReputationRep:
    ALL of my art (see sig) is done with the help of Mary Jane. In fact I just finished this drawing today:
    http://lando608.deviantart.com/#/d3d9qpu

ReputationRep:
    I generally do a lot of my early designs/quick ideas while drunk (architecture student) if that counts? I just find it's easier to come up with a bigger variety of idea's while drunk rather than sober as my mind locks in on more traditional designs and concepts too easily.

ReputationRep:
    Nestles where on acid

ReputationRep:
    Mixed it with Rice Crispies for a lovely snack! Now Shrooms, that'll get your head working overtime.
    Rice crispies and custard?? What on earth has drugs done to you?? :emo:

ReputationRep:
    I always come up with my best musical ideas when stoned off my tits, lying in bed just before I go to sleep.

Remembering them in the morning however, is a trick I've yet to master.
    Really? You mustn't be taking enough.

ReputationRep:
    Please do not be tempted to take drugs. The messages are not there just to be 'square'- heck, the people in charge ARE often the 60s/70s generation.

Acid scrambles your mind during the time that you take it and is not even enjoyable, certainly not in the immediate hours afterwards. For periods some weeks afterwards, your whole body can feel like you have experienced a 'dead leg'. Your concentration and sense of security can become reduced, albeit over time, in a long term way with depression becoming more likely. Yes, naturally, there will be some periods of highs but that is not a long lasting sense of joy that is particularly attractive or real to most people.

Yes, The Beatles, Brian Wilson and possibly some of Pink Floyd did it and 1967 was an iconic year in music history (if an overrrated one in The Beatles case for Sergeant Pepper is not necessarily one of their best albums). But it was a short lived time - the use of acid in this 'creativity' might have merely been incidental to the already demonstrated talents of those people- and , perhaps far more important,. the very close and humourful relationship that they already had as a group. Even if it turns out that it objectively did aid their edge , psychedelically at least, in the very short term the creativity was not long lived in any of their cases. And it's not 1967 anymore- forget the drugs, forget them all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mm_Minty)
    Rice crispies and custard?? What on earth has drugs done to you?? :emo:
    It's actually not bad

ReputationRep:
    I remember some writer said "If I would be writing while on drugs that wouldn't be me, it would be the substance I'm on". I know a few people that use weed to help them create music. You can easily notice whether the song was created while stoned, as it's 9 times out of 10 better than a song created while sober.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.