Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The British Royal Family are predominantly German... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just been looking online and the Royal Family have a massive German ancestry and King George V (Elizabeth II's grandfather) was actually cousins with Kaiser Wilhelm II and Tsarina Alexandra (married to Nicholas II!) Prince Albert, Queen Vic's hubbie, was fully German, does anyone else find this really surprising? And if I worked it out correctly then Prince Will and Harry are half English and the other half is a pastiche of German, Dutch and I'm sure other things. I just assumed their ethnicity would have been English like maybe it would have been a rule or something.

http://www.britroyals.com/kings.asp?id=george5

ReputationRep:
    I thought everyone knew they were German?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I thought this was common knowledge.

They still descend from the Norman kings - it just so happens that their extended family spreads across europe.
    And they're even distant relations of the saxon kings (who are what most people would consider 'true' english kings, but even then they're northern german really)

ReputationRep:
    theres at least a bit of greek going on there too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    I thought everyone knew they were German?
    Yeah I knew but hadn't realised they were more German than English.

ReputationRep:
    It's common knowledge anyway that all aristocratic rulers and monarchs across Europe were all related to one another.

ReputationRep:
    It's only very recently that it's been acceptable for royals to marry commoners, and the pool of nobility isn't that big. There are links to Russian royalty too, I think. But it doesn't make them less 'British'.

ReputationRep:
    No, I do not find it suprising...I thought it was common knowledge? And yes, Wilhelm II was Queen Victoria's grandson.

But when you think about it, back in the days when the monarchy had absolute control, the marriage of members of the Royal family was a way of making treaties, and thus the royal offspring had a whole mix of foreign blood in them. They were all related in one way or another.

ReputationRep:
    Before national identity really became established, having a reasonably legitimate royal lineage and especially having acceptable religious views was always far more important than where you were from or what language you spoke. Nowadays, we wouldn't accept a foreign-born monarch, but in the past, it would have been more like "we'd rather have a foreigner than a Papist, even if the latter technically has a better claim" (constitutionally this still applies, because Catholics are excluded from the succession). Hence William of Orange, and later the "Heirs of the body of the Electress Sophia" (the latter forming part of the current royal family's German ancestry)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by La Esmerelda)
    Just been looking online and the Royal Family have a massive German ancestry and King George V (Elizabeth II's grandfather) was actually cousins with Kaiser Wilhelm II and Tsarina Alexandra (married to Nicholas II!) Prince Albert, Queen Vic's hubbie, was fully German, does anyone else find this really surprising? And if I worked it out correctly then Prince Will and Harry are half English and the other half is a pastiche of German, Dutch and I'm sure other things. I just assumed their ethnicity would have been English like maybe it would have been a rule or something.

http://www.britroyals.com/kings.asp?id=george5
    There haven't really been that many English kings post-William. We've had all manner of Normans, Frenchies, Scots, Germans and Dutch folks on the throne since 1066.

ReputationRep:
    They are desencedents of lizard people.

ReputationRep:
    I thought this was general knowledge.. :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    There haven't really been that many English kings post-William. We've had all manner of Normans, Frenchies, Scots, Germans and Dutch folks on the throne since 1066.
    And Welsh. The Tudors were Welsh.

ReputationRep:
    All of Europes' Royal Families are inbred. It's just how it works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teao the Cat)
    And Welsh. The Tudors were Welsh.
    Well sort of. Henry VII had a Welsh grandfather, he wasn't really Welsh himself though. He had Welsh blood.

The name Tudor comes from a Welsh name though I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    I think there are very few long lasting and continuous monarchies that are completely racially/nationally homogenous...perhaps Japan?

ReputationRep:
    Really?! Who would have thought!?

:facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbmag9)
    It's only very recently that it's been acceptable for royals to marry commoners, and the pool of nobility isn't that big. There are links to Russian royalty too, I think. But it doesn't make them less 'British'.

Tsar Nicholas II and King George V. They look practically identical.

ReputationRep:
    No ****. :facepalm:

Prince Philip is Greek and Danish... well his father was prince of Greece and Denmark but Philip was born in Greece (so was his father..) His mother was the great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria (but that's not really surprising because most of the European royal families are descended from Victoria)
    He had to renounce all his claims to the Greek and Danish thrones before he married Elizabeth though...

I mean seriously, how on earth do you not know that the royal family aren't really British? Everybody knows that!

ReputationRep:
    Define "English"...

(I'll probably be called out on this by someone who knows history better xD)

Romans came and tossed out the celts,
    Romans left,
    Saxons came
    Vikings came.
    Saxons got nobbled by Normans (harold vs william)
    Normans got kicked out of normandy (King John by Philip Augustus)

So... who *are* the english?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.