Turn on thread page Beta

The British Royal Family are predominantly German... watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hravan)
    No ****. :facepalm:

Prince Philip is Greek and Danish... well his father was prince of Greece and Denmark but Philip was born in Greece (so was his father..) His mother was the great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria (but that's not really surprising because most of the European royal families are descended from Victoria)
    He had to renounce all his claims to the Greek and Danish thrones before he married Elizabeth though...

I mean seriously, how on earth do you not know that the royal family aren't really British? Everybody knows that!
    I knew they weren't fully English but I hadn't realised how much more of other countries they had in them than English. Gosh you really can't make a thread on TSR without people being like 'zomg this is sooo common knowledge' I hadn't realised people, chill.

ReputationRep:
    I mean seriously, how on earth do you not know that the royal family aren't really British?
    That's flying a bit close to racial nationalism for my liking.

ReputationRep:
    The little guy holding the hotdog (bratwurst) is prince william.

ReputationRep:
    Not really, they're pan-European as the aristocracy tended to be.

ReputationRep:
    Having a great great grandfather (or whatever Albert was) who is German doesn't make you German. That would be like telling a fifth-or-so generation immigrant they're French or Polish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    That's flying a bit close to racial nationalism for my liking.
    No, it's more that everybody I've ever talked to about this knows that the Royal Family is predominantly German thanks the the whole changing from the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha to the House of Windsor during WWI.
    Personally, every single time I've been taught about WWI in any of my schools (4 in total) there's always been at least a brief mention of the change regardless of what exactly they were teaching us about WWI.

ReputationRep:
    Sure there is German blood, but there's a lot more Scottishblood qnd English too as of recently. The late Queen mother was Scottish and the marriage of non-U persons has led to the royal line beoming much more in line with British identity.

ReputationRep:
    No, it's more that everybody I've ever talked to about this knows that the Royal Family is predominantly German thanks the the whole changing from the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha to the House of Windsor during WWI.
    Personally, every single time I've been taught about WWI in any of my schools (4 in total) there's always been at least a brief mention of the change regardless of what exactly they were teaching us about WWI.
    My surname is Norman; it doesn't mean I'm any less British, which was what was originally suggested. Even if the House of Windsor was still called the House of S-C-and-G, so what? The English language is, after all, Germanic - all Anglo-Saxon derived surnames are Germanic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    My surname is Norman; it doesn't mean I'm any less British, which was what was originally suggested. Even if the House of Windsor was still called the House of S-C-and-G, so what? The English language is, after all, Germanic - all Anglo-Saxon derived surnames are Germanic.
    Seriously? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    Having a great great grandfather (or whatever Albert was) who is German doesn't make you German. That would be like telling a fifth-or-so generation immigrant they're French or Polish.
    Its more than that. Queen Vic was half German and there was another German royal... I looked this up a while ago so can't remember who else was German but I think I worked out that Prince Charles is half German...like I said can't really remember at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QwentyJ)
    Sure there is German blood, but there's a lot more Scottishblood qnd English too as of recently. The late Queen mother was Scottish and the marriage of non-U persons has led to the royal line beoming much more in line with British identity.
    Yeah I noticed that...but 'predominantly non-English' sounded stupid but I may change it to that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmaJayne.x)
    I thought this was general knowledge.. :curious:
    It is, OP is just thick.

ReputationRep:
    A bit of Greek in the mixture as well - Prince Philip I think

ReputationRep:
    Prince William & Kate Middleton.... :mmm:

MY BIG FAT NAZI WEDDING!!

ReputationRep:
    If some of your ancestors several generations ago being German makes you German.. then yes. Which would be stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    I think there are very few long lasting and continuous monarchies that are completely racially/nationally homogenous...perhaps Japan?
    Perhaps, although as it happens, some say that the Japanese royal family hails from Korea originally.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.