Turn on thread page Beta

Screwed up my A2 coursework, worried it'll completely mess up my grade :/ watch

ReputationRep:
    For part of my A-Level chemistry we've got to conduct an individual investigation for our coursework like I imagine many of you also have to do. It's not one of those ones like in physics where it's done in lesson time and all over in a week, it's one that lasts months. We got given our assignment last November, and were expected to write our background section (i.e. chemical knowledge and plans) but for some stupid reason, which to this day I have not figured out, I left it until last minute and did extremely poorly. I worked night and day one weekend and got it up to scratch and finally got section 1 completed to what I thought was an acceptable standard.

We were then expected to carry out our practical methods in January. Unfortunately, I was ill and was therefore off school for a big chunk of time during that period, and started my practicals almost 2 weeks after everyone else. Because I was so behind and felt so disorientated and down about the practical I made several errors but lacked the motivation to go back and correct them, and so quite a few of my results came out poorly, which caused me to lose lots of marks in my results and analysis section. I handed a draft into my mentor and she basically gave me the hard truth that with the results I had I would only get 20-something marks out of 45, which, when UMS'd would probably come out as a U. I've got a night to improve it tonight, but I'm not going to miraculously come out with 10 marks in one evening, and I know that whatever I do I'm going to get a crap grade on this. I don't know if you guys have any idea on what difference this'll make to my overall result but I'm very worried that this will royally screw up my A2 grade. I really need a B in chemistry to get in to uni, and my AS grade was a high C I think. I've got 3 chemistry exams to come in the summer (including resits) but I'm not sure that even getting an A in them will pull me up. It would be a real comfort to know that with enough revision I can still get the grade I need, but I get the feeling that's just not going to happen now and it's too late to do anything major about this coursework.

Bleurgh...worried rant over, but if you have any words of comfort for me that would be great.

ReputationRep:
    Its worth making some kind of attempt to salvage your coursework here. I got 22/45 in mine and it came out as a D, but still managed to blag an A overall for chemistry. Have you asked the school to take into account your illness during the practical work? You might be able to get some kind of extension time, even if its only a few days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blocker)
    Its worth making some kind of attempt to salvage your coursework here. I got 22/45 in mine and it came out as a D, but still managed to blag an A overall for chemistry. Have you asked the school to take into account your illness during the practical work? You might be able to get some kind of extension time, even if its only a few days.
    Oh wow, that's good to know. What sort of results did you get in your exams?

The thing is, they did give me a week's worth of extension time to make up for what I missed, but like I said, I had no motivation for the coursework at all, and in the end gave up with the results I had. It was an extremely stupid decision but overall this entire coursework has been a series of extremely bad choices on my part. There's no chance of any other practical extension now as it's due in tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Ah. Worth a shot i suppose. Make sure you make it really obvious in your writeup then that although you got things wrong in the practical, you A) recognise them and B) know what you would do differently next time! Not only should that help limit the damage but its also good scientific procedure anyway, so even if your work gets marked poorly you can still be satisfied you've done something right.

In fairness i did do very well in the exams, but i had to! You need a B so have a bit more room to play with, just focus on making sure you understand stuff rather than just learning it by rote and you'll avoid 90% of the tricks that catch most people up in chemistry A-level. If you need any help on stuff by the way im happy to do so, just send us a PM. Got my second year chemistry exams in june so hopefully i can still remember a level stuff!

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, I practically gave up on doing any A2 coursework, and totally ****ed up my strongest subject in the process YAYYYYYYYY!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blocker)
    Ah. Worth a shot i suppose. Make sure you make it really obvious in your writeup then that although you got things wrong in the practical, you A) recognise them and B) know what you would do differently next time! Not only should that help limit the damage but its also good scientific procedure anyway, so even if your work gets marked poorly you can still be satisfied you've done something right.

In fairness i did do very well in the exams, but i had to! You need a B so have a bit more room to play with, just focus on making sure you understand stuff rather than just learning it by rote and you'll avoid 90% of the tricks that catch most people up in chemistry A-level. If you need any help on stuff by the way im happy to do so, just send us a PM. Got my second year chemistry exams in june so hopefully i can still remember a level stuff!
    I've done my best to write about errors and how I would modify them so I just hope it's enough. I can't really do much more now, I'm just glad that it's over, no matter how bad it is! Cheers for your help anyway

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.