Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Wouldnt give aid to any other country unless something like 'a japan' happened.
    Harsh, maybe but frankly changing a small part of international trade rules would help countries so much more than giving aid

ReputationRep:
    Why is it that we've got enough problems in this country and our government is chucking money somewhere else! How can they justify that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniversityLAD)
    hey why don't we just throw some money over Gaddafi's way too! Seems we've got plenty to go around despite the poor state of our education system and the current NHS problems!
    We already have, Gaddafi is using weapons donated by us and other countries 4 months prior to when he slaughters hundreds with those same weapons. Irony.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phobia27)
    We already have, Gaddafi is using weapons donated by us and other countries 4 months prior to when he slaughters hundreds with those same weapons. Irony.
    I'm pretty sure they weren't donated. I believe they were actually bought by the Libyan government.

I can see the irony there, but they definitely weren't donated.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely disgusting, all the good that money could have done, especially considering our current economic situation and the cuts that are being made and the government go and give £650m to a bunch of gnats who hate us anyway.

ReputationRep:
    If it helps starving and uneducated people, I'm for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loki276)
    As long as it actually goes to education it's a good thing
    I wish it was true, but all the money of 'aid' goes into the pockets of the corrupt politicians of pakistan. :dots:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonathanNorth)
    I'm pretty sure they weren't donated. I believe they were actually bought by the Libyan government.

I can see the irony there, but they definitely weren't donated.
    Oops sorry, don't know why I said donated because I knew they were bought, guess it was late

(Original post by Bananas01)
    I understand the logic - that money spent actually saving lives is better than money spent buying old people bus passes or whatever. But we have absolutely no idea where that money even goes and when the government is involved in giving it, really the purpose is political gain rather than humanitarian gain.

If you support charity that's great, but donate it yourself, don't advocate public charity coming from taxpayers money. Shameless plug here - but engineers without borders do great work and only one person in the entire organisation is paid (and thats a low wage) - so you know the money is A) actually going to people in need and is B) aimed at sustainable growth. (One of my housemates is really involved with EWB...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bananas01)
    What about the starving and uneducated in this country?

ReputationRep:
    Cheers Tory voters! Much appreciated.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2011
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.