Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stacey27)
    OFFER FROM EDINBURGH!!!!! (but for the 5-year course - nevermind!!)

Its certainly taken the pressure off the RVC interview, RVC is still the fave though...
    Congratulations! What degree did you do first time around? Just wondering why they've put you on the 5 year...

ReputationRep:
    OFFER FROM EDINBURGH!!!!! (but for the 5-year course - nevermind!!)

Its certainly taken the pressure off the RVC interview, RVC is still the fave though...
    Congrats!! The same thing happened to me, bit annoyed about the extra expense for the 5th year but nevermind, at least we have an offer! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loosy)
    Congratulations! What degree did you do first time around? Just wondering why they've put you on the 5 year...
    I'm doing animal science, It's nothing to do with my degree, a lad on my course has an offer for the 4 year. It's because of my A-levels, they weren't fantastic

ReputationRep:
    Well done on the the Edinburgh offers How are you crazy people thinking of funding the 23k a year tuition fees?! I nearly had a heart attack when I realised how bad they were and promptly knocked Edinburgh off my list as a potential!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing animal science, It's nothing to do with my degree, a lad on my course has an offer for the 4 year. It's because of my A-levels, they weren't fantastic
    you had to take the A-levels even though you are doing a second degree?

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea! 23K times 4 in not a small amount. I will be able to answer your question after I visit the university on the 25th. Maybe they will convince me to sell everything and study there. haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haido)
    I have no idea! 23K times 4 in not a small amount. I will be able to answer your question after I visit the university on the 25th. Maybe they will convince me to sell everything and study there. haha
    Do you really want to put yourself in that position tho after you have built up what I assume is a net worth capable of funding their ridiculous and mean fees?? Im not saying I wouldnt sell my car/house/grandmother for a place to study vet med but from a practical side its a very risky stratedgy. I couldnt imagine having literally nothing! Fair play to you tho I wish I had enough things to sell in my life to total that amount unless anyone wants to buy a goldfish?? 23k each

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haido)
    you had to take the A-levels even though you are doing a second degree?
    Nooo, my A-levels from before the degree I'm doing now. They said it was to do with my level of biology and chemistry knowledge. My bio and chem a -levels weren't great - not a true representation of what i know, but obviously for that reason they felt more comfortable with me doing the 5 year, i dont mind though. A vet degree is a vet degree...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoenix_147)
    Well done on the the Edinburgh offers How are you crazy people thinking of funding the 23k a year tuition fees?! I nearly had a heart attack when I realised how bad they were and promptly knocked Edinburgh off my list as a potential!
    I think I'm just lucky, I've got extremely nice parents who only have me and are willing to do anything for me to be a vet. Does make me feel rather guilty though and Ill have to work in holidays, whenever I'm not doing EMS..

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm just lucky, I've got extremely nice parents who only have me and are willing to do anything for me to be a vet. Does make me feel rather guilty though and Ill have to work in holidays, whenever I'm not doing EMS..
    Awww wow you're really lucky My parents are lovely too and want to help but I come from a working class background so there is no way either myself or my family could pay 23k a year (even though they want to be able too!). 9k is my limit which puts RVC my one and only hope. I just hope so much that I get in

ReputationRep:
    Do you really want to put yourself in that position tho after you have built up what I assume is a net worth capable of funding their ridiculous and mean fees?? Im not saying I wouldnt sell my car/house/grandmother for a place to study vet med but from a practical side its a very risky stratedgy. I couldnt imagine having literally nothing! Fair play to you tho I wish I had enough things to sell in my life to total that amount unless anyone wants to buy a goldfish?? 23k each
    You understand that I was joking of course right? haha. If I have any info on the 25 th (Applicant Open day in Edinburgh), I will keep you guys posted.

ReputationRep:
    Phoenix, this is your second year as a grad app right? Hope you dont mind me asking or anything, but i was wondering did you get interviews and then rejections last time (and if so did you feel like your interviews could have gone better, or did they go well) or was it all without interview?

only because, since my notts rejection RVC is my only hope, and to be honest was always my first choice. Ive got into eds 4 year course, and an interview at livs, but at the moment have absolutely no real way of funding either, so now im starting to worry that even if i have a good RVC interview it still might end in rejection!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cornish_pasty)
    Phoenix, this is your second year as a grad app right? Hope you dont mind me asking or anything, but i was wondering did you get interviews and then rejections last time (and if so did you feel like your interviews could have gone better, or did they go well) or was it all without interview?

only because, since my notts rejection RVC is my only hope, and to be honest was always my first choice. Ive got into eds 4 year course, and an interview at livs, but at the moment have absolutely no real way of funding either, so now im starting to worry that even if i have a good RVC interview it still might end in rejection!
    Hey no thats alright. This is my second attempt yes. I finished my first degree at Bristol Uni in 2010 (I was actually based at the vet school ironically) and decided to apply straight for the september 2010-2011 entry for which I applied to RVC and Notts. I got rejected from Notts as most grads do pretty sharpish and then I under estimated the BMAT! After sorting out a job/living arrangements/life stuff after uni I didnt leave myself with much time to revise so ultimatley I failed one of the sections in the BMAT and got rejected without interview. When I asked for RVC feedback after I got rejected they said it was to do with my BMAT results. I actually turned down 2 Phd Interviews at RVC that year because I decided to reapply this year. My BMAT was a lot better and IVe got an RVC interview so fingers crossed. Sorry Icant be much help with interviews

ReputationRep:
    Hey no thats alright. This is my second attempt yes. I finished my first degree at Bristol Uni in 2010 (I was actually based at the vet school ironically) and decided to apply straight for the september 2010-2011 entry for which I applied to RVC and Notts. I got rejected from Notts as most grads do pretty sharpish and then I under estimated the BMAT! After sorting out a job/living arrangements/life stuff after uni I didnt leave myself with much time to revise so ultimatley I failed one of the sections in the BMAT and got rejected without interview. When I asked for RVC feedback after I got rejected they said it was to do with my BMAT results. I actually turned down 2 Phd Interviews at RVC that year because I decided to reapply this year. My BMAT was a lot better and IVe got an RVC interview so fingers crossed. Sorry Icant be much help with interviews

ah ok, no thats great thanks! it was acually causing me more worry thinking that loads of people might get rejected even after interview. I know a proportion of people have to, etc but i wish i knew how many people had applied for grad this year/getting interviews to places!

Im just worrying about something i cant control! haha, thanks though

ReputationRep:
    RVC have changed their interview format this year and I think that's for the G&T course as well so if anyone has had a Liverpool interview they will be in a better position for helping you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stef_vet?)
    RVC have changed their interview format this year and I think that's for the G&T course as well so if anyone has had a Liverpool interview they will be in a better position for helping you
    i had a liverpool interview at my alevel app and got an offer, so ill try and use that as a positive booster! haha. Have one again this year but its on the 1st of feb so i cant even use it as good RVC interview practice! ha

Do you by any chance know the sort of average number of grad applicants:interviews:offers?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Hello everyone! Just a random message to those in the same boat really as you will understand the nerves.

So, is anyone nervous yet about next Wednesday? I am terrified but excited at the same time because it sounds fun, and I am mega looking forward to the tour. But mainly terrified at this point!

Today I got to watch a sugar glider having its head stitched up. It was a beautiful little creature Just had to share that, no-one else seems to understand the excitement! Can't imagine why!

ReputationRep:
    I've been nervous about Wednesday since I got the email! But I'm excited too I'm looking forward to the group exercise bit. It will be good to meet people in the same boat who we will possibly (hopefully!) be starting vet school with in September.

Sugar gliders are adorable. I have never seen one up close though. You are very lucky!

ReputationRep:
    Are you guys talking about the **** Vet post app visit? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lornaliz)
    Are you guys talking about the **** Vet post app visit? x
    Nope, the RVC interviews on Wednesday! (That's what I was talking about anyway, lol)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 18, 2012
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.