Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Veterinary Medicine Graduate Applicants 2012 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stef_vet?)
    Just out of interest why did people who didn't apply to RVC not apply to RVC? Surely as a graduate it's a much more financially viable option?
    I considered it, however, this summer/autumn I was working full time with racehorses and didn't have enough time to revise properly or sit the BMAT..... otherwise I would have applied for RVC....I also lived in london once, and really hated it.......... but I can see why people love the city! I also talked it through with my vetty mentors, and a lot of research that comes out of Bristol from their resident clinicians is particularly of interest to me. I also am interested in behaviour and welfare, and would be very keen to intercalate with Bristols animal behaviour and welfare BSc.
    I was hoping that I might get a nottingham interview, however that was not to be, and am very happy with a Bristol place! My dear parents think that the fees aren't unsurmountable, and encouraged bristol as a choice when I was applying... Those are my reasons (which may seem silly to everyone else!)
    I hope that you are enjoying your studies!
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElizabethAngela)
    I considered it, however, this summer/autumn I was working full time with racehorses and didn't have enough time to revise properly or sit the BMAT..... otherwise I would have applied for RVC....I also lived in london once, and really hated it.......... but I can see why people love the city! I also talked it through with my vetty mentors, and a lot of research that comes out of Bristol from their resident clinicians is particularly of interest to me. I also am interested in behaviour and welfare, and would be very keen to intercalate with Bristols animal behaviour and welfare BSc.
    I was hoping that I might get a nottingham interview, however that was not to be, and am very happy with a Bristol place! My dear parents think that the fees aren't unsurmountable, and encouraged bristol as a choice when I was applying... Those are my reasons (which may seem silly to everyone else!)
    I hope that you are enjoying your studies!
    xxx
    I did the animal behaviour and welfare course at bristol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoenix_147)
    I did the animal behaviour and welfare course at bristol
    cool, how did you find it?

ReputationRep:
    Oh how fantastic that all sounds! Really interesting, and I think it is good to have lots of life experience, you definitely then never run out of things to talk about, the art/science issue, I know that one well... I had a lot of friends who found it hard to decide where their true passions lay, ultimately I concluded that science s where my aptitude and curiosity come to the fore, and art is a fun hobby that helps me relax (and occasionally makes me a few quid)
    I'm not waiting on anymore, I applied to Liverpool Notts and Bristol (also newcastle for animal science) got offers from Bristol and Newcastle, but notts and liv both rejections... I was soo upset when I got the notts letter!
    Have you had a bristol interview? xxx
    Ha ha. Nice to speak to someone similar! Yes I have concluded similarly re. art and science. Kind of excited to bring my circus skills to a new city too. I have concluded that I have passions in both but that my academic interests are what I need to keep my brain going as well as a creative side. No Bristol interview nor heard anything from Liverpool. I sort of just want to know what's going on now so I can figure out the boring stuff like when I'm leaving work, how much work exp i need to fit in as EMS before I go (Edinburgh) You know the score! Off to visit Edinburgh tomorrow so pretty excited xx

ReputationRep:
    cool, how did you find it?
    Really good, Third year (which is what intercolating vets do) is a bit different as you spend a lot of time on your dissertation but the lecture subjects are more interesting (i.e psychopharmocology, immunology and wound healing and clinical behvaiour) ALso you get to have a real clinical behvaiour case as part of your assesment (I got a noise phobic collie who just kept running around the room!) We got a little annoyed at the vets tho (not personally, they were all lovely!) but more because they showed up in our final year, did 8months work and walked away with the same degree we had to work 3 years for. However from their point of view definatly worth it. Its amazing how many of our clinical cases were refered from vets as vets dont have much understanding on behavioural issues so its a good course to have when in practice. YOu have to be a high achiever in your first few years as a vet student to do the course though and you have to apply (you cant just choose to do it) as there are limited spaces.
    How comes you didnt do anything behaviourally based in your first degree or have you only just discovered your interest??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoenix_147)
    Really good, Third year (which is what intercolating vets do) is a bit different as you spend a lot of time on your dissertation but the lecture subjects are more interesting (i.e psychopharmocology, immunology and wound healing and clinical behvaiour) ALso you get to have a real clinical behvaiour case as part of your assesment (I got a noise phobic collie who just kept running around the room!) We got a little annoyed at the vets tho (not personally, they were all lovely!) but more because they showed up in our final year, did 8months work and walked away with the same degree we had to work 3 years for. However from their point of view definatly worth it. Its amazing how many of our clinical cases were refered from vets as vets dont have much understanding on behavioural issues so its a good course to have when in practice. YOu have to be a high achiever in your first few years as a vet student to do the course though and you have to apply (you cant just choose to do it) as there are limited spaces.
    How comes you didnt do anything behaviourally based in your first degree or have you only just discovered your interest??
    That does sound fascinating, I have been working at FAI at the Oxford University field station, and they do a lot of work with charities like compassion in world farming, and others, looking at improving the understanding of behaviour, in order to improve welfare. http://faifarms.co.uk/
    When I left school I didn;t really know much about all of this, however in the vacation of my first year, I stated helping out at FAI and learnt that such work exists... but I thought that dropping out of uni would make me a failure, so I kept on with the degree, and as soon as I finished threw myself into working with as many animals/vets etc as possible... basically I'm doing this ten years late I guess....!

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, sorry about the huge delay but here are last years' admissions figures for the G&T (D102) course at RVC

Applications: 306
    Interviews: 123
    Offers: 150
    Expected enrolment: 92

The reason that the offers exceed the interviews is that a lot of international students apply for the 5 year course and if they are exceptional at interview and have a biological science degree already then they are offered a place on the 4 year

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, sorry about the huge delay but here are last years' admissions figures for the G&T (D102) course at RVC

Applications: 306
    Interviews: 123
    Offers: 150
    Expected enrolment: 92

The reason that the offers exceed the interviews is that a lot of international students apply for the 5 year course and if they are exceptional at interview and have a biological science degree already then they are offered a place on the 4 year
    That's very interesting, thanks! I don't suppose you know how many of the offers were to UK grads? (I'm trying not to think about the statistics too much but curiosity keeps getting the better of me!)

In other news, I keep thinking of new things I really should go over for the interview tomorrow! :afraid: Not enough tiiime!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loosy)
    That's very interesting, thanks! I don't suppose you know how many of the offers were to UK grads? (I'm trying not to think about the statistics too much but curiosity keeps getting the better of me!)

In other news, I keep thinking of new things I really should go over for the interview tomorrow! :afraid: Not enough tiiime!
    I haven't got them in my information but you might be given them tomorrow.

Good luck for tomorrow! Just remember that literally everyone is terrified and try to breathe before answering! You've got an interview which is a really, really good start. Ask the student ambassadors as many questions as you can, everyone's really lovely and will give you a chance to ask questions about the course/campus etc that you might not want to ask in the interview. I would be there but am off to a UCAS convention to get some more RVCers for 2012-13 cycle!

ReputationRep:
    any ideas under which interview section the 'why' questions will come under? i.e why vet?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Loosy)

Argh me too! Everytime I think to myself 'alright, chill a bit, you've done all you can' something else pops up and it's all panic again. I'm trying very hard not to be scared, I don't want nerves to get the better of me! I am quite looking forward to meeting everyone though, if you hear someone nattering away about rabbits, that will be me
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I haven't got them in my information but you might be given them tomorrow.

Good luck for tomorrow! Just remember that literally everyone is terrified and try to breathe before answering! You've got an interview which is a really, really good start. Ask the student ambassadors as many questions as you can, everyone's really lovely and will give you a chance to ask questions about the course/campus etc that you might not want to ask in the interview. I would be there but am off to a UCAS convention to get some more RVCers for 2012-13 cycle!
    Thankyou for continuing to pop on here and give advice and support, it's very much appreciated Must remember to breathe! Also, those who get in this year will be with you in your third year That only just occurred to me... apologies if I'm a little behind on this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eevee13)
    Thankyou for continuing to pop on here and give advice and support, it's very much appreciated Must remember to breathe! Also, those who get in this year will be with you in your third year That only just occurred to me... apologies if I'm a little behind on this!
    hehe thought of that the other day! even more reason for you to come to RVC

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eevee13)
    Argh me too! Everytime I think to myself 'alright, chill a bit, you've done all you can' something else pops up and it's all panic again. I'm trying very hard not to be scared, I don't want nerves to get the better of me! I am quite looking forward to meeting everyone though, if you hear someone nattering away about rabbits, that will be me
    Haha I'd be happy to chat about rabbits with you. If rabbits come up in the interview we'll be set

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else requested feedback from Cambridge after interview? Turned out I did well in the general interview but not in the science one, I was asked what a base is and I froze!!

ReputationRep:
    how did the RVC interviews go?

ReputationRep:
    how did the RVC interviews go?
    I really have no idea! I found some stations better than others, and some of the interviewers were really hard to read so I wasn't sure whether I was saying the right things. Think I will try not to think too much about it now because it's so long before we hear either way.

I enjoyed having a look round the campus though, and everyone was lovely! The anatomy museum is sooo cool!

ReputationRep:
    What did everyone think of Edinburgh, those who visited yesterday? Is anyone definitely going there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie_aj)
    What did everyone think of Edinburgh, those who visited yesterday? Is anyone definitely going there?
    I loved it, all the facilities looked amazing! Where you there too? I'm definately going if I meet my conditions (2:1)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loosy)
    I really have no idea! I found some stations better than others, and some of the interviewers were really hard to read so I wasn't sure whether I was saying the right things. Think I will try not to think too much about it now because it's so long before we hear either way.

I enjoyed having a look round the campus though, and everyone was lovely! The anatomy museum is sooo cool!
    Same! Some stations i thought went well, others i had no idea if i was saying the right thing/on the right track, and got the general impression that they went a bit badly tbh.

Someone told me something like there are 25 odd places this year (excluding internationals who are decided seperately) So im not feeling too hopeful sadly.

Absolutely loved it there though, everyone was so friendly and i thought the vet school had a really nice feel to it!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 18, 2012
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.