Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Whilst not many people would disagree that giving an imbecile with well-connected (rich?) parents a job over a genius without such financial connections is wrong, how can it be stopped? Arguably Clegg himself got to where he is due to his background (Cameron too), the speaker of the house was chosen by Labour due to his wife's influence over him, the Milibands probably had the same contacts as one another, and the Lords have quite a few members who have effectively paid for their seat.

Do you anonymise all applications? Would this stunt progress in that those who have shown they can get along with people already in an industry aren't as likely to get in as before?

Or is there nothing to worry about? The graph below shows that 'class' is the most important factor in a child's ability by the age of 10. In that case, it isn't that people with connections are being given the advantage because of that, rather they are better educated. Then we ought to focus more on closing that gap as it is probably having the biggest impact on who gets what job.

Besides, how do you clamp down on an activity so common that recruiters openly set aside time for 'networking'?

Edit: since some people are discussing the unpaid internships, here is Clegg's old unpaid intern's account, and the Lib Dems' plans to help unpaid staff of MPs, though pay for interns this year has been ruled out.

ReputationRep:
    Says Nick Clegg, Westminster School alumnus. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    It can't be stopped, it's such an integral part of how any and all business gets done, always has been and always will be. I don't even see why it's a problem.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    i think it's a huge problem - i'm really struggling to get any relevant medical work experience at the moment because i don't know ANYBODY who could help me out.
    but yeah, i agree with you, i don't believe that it can be stopped.

ReputationRep:
    Lol Clegg has had a little idea... he's going to change the way humans have operated for as long as they've existed. Ooh Nick, you are ever so clever!

ReputationRep:
    What Nick Clegg 'promises' to do doesn't mean much these days!

ReputationRep:
    You mean like the time Clegg stayed true to his word when he said he was going to help students by preventing any increase in tuition fees?

Oh. Wait.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Says Nick Clegg, Westminster School alumnus. :facepalm2:
    (Original post by TheFatController)
    I know he's a despicable piece of lying scum (or worse), but is it theoretically possible?
    (Original post by cttp_ngaf)
    It can't be stopped, it's such an integral part of how any and all business gets done, always has been and always will be. I don't even see why it's a problem.
    That the main way to get into these industries has your ability as a distant second in importance to your background?
    (Original post by foldingstars45)
    i think it's a huge problem - i'm really struggling to get any relevant medical work experience at the moment because i don't know ANYBODY who could help me out.
    Yeah, I remember some of my friends struggling to get any work experience at all in something medicine related

ReputationRep:
    I think this is disgraceful - they should ban anyone from a private school from earning more than 20k, or at least tax them at 100% above that amount. Ideally all intelligent people from top schools should go straight to the bottom of the pile, and unintelligent, uneducated scum must be installed as doctors, politicians and judges. That would be fair.

ReputationRep:
    I think this is disgraceful - they should ban anyone from a private school from earning more than 20k, or at least tax them at 100% above that amount. Ideally all intelligent people from top schools should go straight to the bottom of the pile, and unintelligent, uneducated scum must be installed as doctors, politicians and judges. That would be fair.
    I think you have missed the point slightly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    Whilst not many people would disagree that giving an imbecile with well-connected (rich?) parents a job over a genius without such financial connections is wrong, how can it be stopped? Arguably Clegg himself got to where he is due to his background (Cameron too), the speaker of the house was chosen by Labour due to his wife's influence over him, the Milibands probably had the same contacts as one another, and the Lords have quite a few members who have effectively paid for their seat.

Do you anonymise all applications? Would this stunt progress in that those who have shown they can get along with people already in an industry aren't as likely to get in as before?

Or is there nothing to worry about? The graph below shows that 'class' is the most important factor in a child's ability by the age of 10. In that case, it isn't that people with connections are being given the advantage because of that, rather they are better educated. Then we ought to focus more on closing that gap as it is probably having the biggest impact on who gets what job.

Besides, how do you clamp down on an activity so common that recruiters openly set aside time for 'networking'?
    You can't, you won't, and you might as well not bother. People will always know people who will aid them, that's just how it is. People will always attend networking events. It's life.

ReputationRep:
    I think you are confusing cause and effect and ignoring a huge variety of other factors.

First of all there is no context for that graph of yours, which seems to make the implication that all high class individuals will always succeed over their lower class counterparts, a fact which, has been disproved many times.
    You are also making the implication that it is all 'contacts' instead of quality of teaching, work ethic, and opportunities, all of which are more likely to be given to a child from a higher class background.

ReputationRep:
    Too obvious. :troll:

...unless it is sarcasm, in which case :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Just so you know, caring work experience (eg. volunteering in a care home, hospice or with children) is just as important at shadowing a doctor. Also, sometimes your GP can help you get some work ex in hospitals or other primary care trusts, but med schools do realise that it can be difficult to get hospital based work ex with no contacts.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but you don't have to 'know' anyone to get medical work experience. This is a misleading statement.

I didn't know anyone beforehand, I just contacted a lot of people and applied for lots of jobs to get my work experience.

ReputationRep:
    eh - Ideally I'd rather the top surgeons etc. were the most able rather than those with the richest parents.

Anyway cleggs talking crap as usual - peddling the myth that you can have massive upward mobility in society without a corresponding downward mobility at the same time.

The privileged will fight tooth and claw for their dim kids to have every advantage - and the privileged are the ones already in all the important jobs perpetuating the system.

It's like announcing that you're going to ask the turkeys to vote for christmas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)

There are many private schools and most of them are NOT Eton et al. Going to a private school doesn't necessarily mean that you or your family has lots of money and connections. This is a myth. It may be true for some pupils in the richest or 'well known' public schools, but it is certainly not a general feature of most families who send their children to private schools.

ReputationRep:
    They could just abolish private schools. That would stop it. Why should some people get a significantly better education than the rest of us? All it does is perpetuate the class system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexBlue)
    You mean like the time Clegg stayed true to his word when he said he was going to help students by preventing any increase in tuition fees?

Oh. Wait.

:facepalm:

You do realise he is in a coalition, right? The whole point of a coalition is to get enough seats so that when issues such as tuition fees are being voted for at Parliament, you have enough seats to win what your party, the party in power, wants.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.