Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As a university overall, what other universities reputation wise are about the same?

ReputationRep:
    Overall? Bath, Bristol, Kings, Nottingham, Edinburgh. Any low-end Top 10 uni to Top 15, Top 20

Obviously in different areas it compares different. E.g. Computer Science it's on a par certainly with UCL, St Andrews, etc. Maybe even Oxford some would say (not Oxbridge, as Cambridge is very good)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spyka)
    Overall? Bath, Bristol, Kings, Nottingham, Edinburgh. Any low-end Top 10 uni to Top 15, Top 20

Obviously in different areas it compares different. E.g. Computer Science it's on a par certainly with UCL, St Andrews, etc. Maybe even Oxford some would say (not Oxbridge, as Cambridge is very good)
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It's a great overall uni tbh... I personally would probably place it alongside any 'good' big city uni tbh, so the likes of Leeds, Nottingham, Birmingham, Manchester, Sheffield etc. and I know it's particularly strong for science courses.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Red bricks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stressworthy)
    It's a great overall uni tbh... I personally would probably place it alongside any 'good' big city uni tbh, so the likes of Leeds, Nottingham, Birmingham, Manchester, Sheffield etc. and I know it's particularly strong for science courses.
    I think it makes much more sense to apply to university with your already achieved grades. I feel like I'm just outside the boundary of where I'd like to be going!

ReputationRep:
    Exeter, Bristol, Warwick, York, Leicester, Bath, Manchester, Birmingham, Newcastle - any of that lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobertWhite)
    I think it makes much more sense to apply to university with your already achieved grades. I feel like I'm just outside the boundary of where I'd like to be going!
    Under normal circumstances, I would therefore suggest applying when you've got your grades and planning a gap year either working and saving up or doing something that you want to do. But of course, the increase in fees means it's not really normal circumstances. It does suck and I do feel for you - I actually feel really grateful now for having the option, but didn't see it as a privilege at all at the time.

ReputationRep:
    Under normal circumstances, I would therefore suggest applying when you've got your grades and planning a gap year either working and saving up or doing something that you want to do. But of course, the increase in fees means it's not really normal circumstances. It does suck and I do feel for you - I actually feel really grateful now for having the option, but didn't see it as a privilege at all at the time.
    I know, I wouldn't be stressing as much if the fees weren't going up! It's possible I could get a job to help me pay my way through uni but it isn't going to cover the increased fees... :doh:

ReputationRep:
    I know, I wouldn't be stressing as much if the fees weren't going up! It's possible I could get a job to help me pay my way through uni but it isn't going to cover the increased fees... :doh:
    It isn't going to help, and of course it's something extra to stress about on top of the workload [even though tonnes of people do it now, but they don't have a huge increase in fees to worry about. ] It does suck, but Southampton is still a great uni... I guess it's just frustrating for you if you're predicted A*s or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester?

ReputationRep:
    It isn't going to help, and of course it's something extra to stress about on top of the workload [even though tonnes of people do it now, but they don't have a huge increase in fees to worry about. ] It does suck, but Southampton is still a great uni... I guess it's just frustrating for you if you're predicted A*s or whatever.
    I meant if I applied next year I could find a job in the gap year. But year, it is slightly frustrating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spyka)

Better than Cambridge for Engineering admitted by a Cambridge Engineering undergraduate I know.

Overall, I'd place SOTON below the Golden Triangle unis (except the overrated King's), below Warwick but above Bristol. I'd say it's on par with York, Bath, Durham etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaz1992)
    Better than Cambridge for Engineering admitted by a Cambridge Engineering undergraduate I know.

Overall, I'd place SOTON below the Golden Triangle unis (except the overrated King's), below Warwick but above Bristol. I'd say it's on par with York, Bath, Durham etc.
    Good Are you planning on SOTON?

ReputationRep:
    For electronic engineering its probably the best in the country - maybe topped by Cambridge, but probably not. It totally depends on what subject you want to do/are going to do.

ReputationRep:
    I might make a golf based pun and say its on par with St. Andrews....

ReputationRep:
    Good Are you planning on SOTON?
    SOTON is my firm.

ReputationRep:
    Certainly on par with Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MIT, Penn. (I joke)

But seriously, it is without a doubt a nationally and internationally renowned institution.

I would say that it's probably got the best engineering department in the UK. If anything, only Cambridge can top that.

Wish I had applied there. For those studying/looking to study, I hope you enjoy your 3+ years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaz1992)

Stone cold proof right there.

SOTON is no way above Bristol, and isn't on par with Durham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therealOG)
    Stone cold proof right there.

SOTON is no way above Bristol, and isn't on par with Durham.
    It is highest in the country for engineering.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 15, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.