Turn on thread page Beta

Wannabe facebook models - since when did girls have such low self esteem? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have seen this alot online on FB, myspace etc. Girl finishes high school or uni, does nothing for a few years or works in a shop, sponges off BF etc. then randomly around age 24-27 she decides she wants to be a model. Her career strategy goes as follows

1 - girl pays photog to take some pics 'for her portfolio'
    2 - girl posts up pics on social networking site in several albums
    3 - girl says she's 'working on my modeling career' instead of going to college or having a real job
    4 - horney dudes 'like :top: her pics. success!!
    5 - instead of going for proper jobinterviews, she spends her time working in tesco and spending money on 'morning photo shoots' at £160+ a pop

ive also seen this for girls age 13-15, who aspire to be nothing more than a model or singer. nowt wrong with that, but WHY are girls measuring their self worth by looks alone? what happened to being interested, smart, having proper hobbies and interests?

i've modelled for 2 agencies but no way are any of my pics on FB or TSR. why? cos im professional, not narcissistic and not some 2D self obsessed bimbo.

i would hate for my daughters to want to spend their evenings photographing themself in the mirror or saving up for professional album after album. i would wnt them to have proper interests like martial arts, or painting.

what is happening to young girls these days??? and wtf with the 26 year olds doing this???

ReputationRep:

This woman explains that the best thing about the job is the money. (yeah she's fit and has amazing eyes, but still)

Just backing up your point.

ReputationRep:
    lololol funny that last night, a friend begged me to like and comment on her new photoshoot.

ReputationRep:
    What's happening?

Popular girls getting stupid tans, stupid hairstyles with dumb highlights, and other stuff....

Because they're popular, people will follow and conform, simple. There's not much individuality anymore, people are to afraid of what others will think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ussumane)
    lololol funny that last night, a friend begged me to like and comment on her new photoshoot.
    i know, and i think its sad that these are grown women age 21-28+. why is that their aspiration in life?

did someone forget to tell them that models get paid for photographs - not the other way round lol.

why are girls spending £100s on getting album after album of professional pics of themself purely for FB? is seems to shallow and pointless

and what happened to normal pics? why do they need to show a fake airbrushed image of themself on FB?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinytoy)
    i know, and i think its sad that these are grown women age 21-28+. why is that their aspiration in life?

did someone forget to tell them that models get paid for photographs - not the other way round lol.

why are girls spending £100s on getting album after album of professional pics of themself purely for FB? is seems to shallow and pointless

and what happened to normal pics? why do they need to show a fake airbrushed image of themself on FB?
    I think there might be 30+ friends on my FB with airbrushed pictures. I can't stand them to be honest. I prefer the natural look, why pay for pictures just so they look good... There are apps on phones for that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acapella_x)
    I think there might be 30+ friends on my FB with airbrushed pictures. I can't stand them to be honest. I prefer the natural look, why pay for pictures just so they look good... There are apps on phones for that
    yeah but like, on FB all their mates know what they look like anyway? so why put up a bunch of pics where you look nothing like yourself?

also when i see a profile with loads of professional pics, i think wow that persons ego must be massive to want to pay someone to take fancy pics of themself purely to put on FB. seems so shallow and self absorbed. like why?

and why am i the only person who thinks this? most people 'like :top: people who do this?

ReputationRep:
    I've done modelling in the past (through an agency, I've never paid anyone to take pictures) and I have some of my pictures on Facebook, not because I want people to comment on them, but because I'm proud of them!

ReputationRep:
    Hold on a minute, OP, aren't you a model?

ReputationRep:
    "I have often wondered how it is that every man loves himself more than all the rest of men, but yet sets less value on his own opinions of himself than on the opinions of others." Marcus Aurelius

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why you care so much to be honest. If that's what they wanna do, then good for them. Least they have the confidence to model, I wish I did!

ReputationRep:
    I've seen guys do it too. *facepalm*

ReputationRep:
    can't say anyone on my friends list does this :s

ReputationRep:
    The only good thing is that they do free shoots for amature photographers like me

ReputationRep:
    worse thing was this fat girl (no, not curvy, plus-size whatever, just fat" put up all these photo-shoot pictures and they were terrible . I felt awful for laughing, but I don't believe she's serious!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.