Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How long would you say & is it possible to take to self study Edexcel C1, C2 and S1 up until the first C1 exam on May 18th?

I do AS Maths at college & don't feel confident that I know everything & can do well.

Is it possible from now; up until the exams to learn everything again from scratch & get a good grade from it?

Just to let you know; I got an A grade in my Edexcel Mathematics GCSE in Summer 2010.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks (:

ReputationRep:
    same position mate, im alright with most of the stuff but some things aren't up to scratch for me. im going to go through the whole course again and for me, its very possible before the 16th may

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to finish a whole core unit in one day so i can do past paper after past paper until my eyes bleed.

ReputationRep:
    I think past papers are key for maths.

And do lots of practice questions, it's defo doable.

ReputationRep:
    You will have learnt/retained the knowledge...i would say, do a few past papers using a book...then move on to doing them withoutthe book, then do them all again, you will be fine Definitely do-able if you want.

ReputationRep:
    i taught myself c1 in a day after doing literally zero work throughout the year and ended up getting the highest mark in my class :P you can do it Lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iitsMee..x)
    How long would you say & is it possible to take to self study Edexcel C1, C2 and S1 up until the first C1 exam on May 18th?

I do AS Maths at college & don't feel confident that I know everything & can do well.

Is it possible from now; up until the exams to learn everything again from scratch & get a good grade from it?

Just to let you know; I got an A grade in my Edexcel Mathematics GCSE in Summer 2010.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks (:

Hi it is indeed very possible that you could extremely well if you start studying now. stop worrying Last year I did not like S1 through out the year so I learnt nothing in the class. I started studying it 3 days before exams day and night I finshed all the questions in the book within three day did not have time to do much past papers but I got 89 % in the end. I used S1 as an example because I liked c1 and C2. do the questions in the book it depends on the person I like doing them all some would only do the mixed exercise ones. Any way It is really really possible just focus.

ReputationRep:
    The Heinemann books are absolutely fantastic

Do all the chapters and exercises in the order that the book follows
    Then attempt the Mixed Exercise questions
    Finally the Review Questions
    Last but not least practice all past questions, those of other examboards are virtually the same, since the QCA has determined that all boards have a common core, in Maths it is pretty much the same for all boards!

Testing yourself under timed conditions is rather important too, as 90 minutes in the exam compared to a through indepth analysis of a past paper is rather different.

Focus on the harder Integration and Differentiation as well the more 'wordy' AP and GP series questions. With Statistics, Probability and Normal Distribution determines whether you'll gain an A grade or not, so focus on those more than other topics.

There is usually a question on all chapters of the book, if you look through the January 2011 papers, some questions were more concerned with the UNDERSTANDING of CONCEPTS rather merely number crunching!

ReputationRep:
    I am doing c1 and have been doing it for a whole year and I am really struggling! E's and F's!
    But I have being doing many past papers and they really seem to help.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.