Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys,

I'm currently in a sticky situation, which has got me kind of ticked. The first thing is, I want to apply for medicine at university, however I don't meet the requirements which is solely A level Chemistry. So I decided to opt for a pre-medical course/foundation instead.

The subjects I currently do are: Biology, Physics, Maths and Psychology (with the intention of dropping psychology next year.

However the many pre-medical schools I have talked to say that you can only qualify for this course if you do non-science A level subjects. First of all, how does this make any sense?! Surely someone from a scientific background would be better?

So, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I don't qualify for Medicine AND the foundation course (A104). What do I do now?

I really want to become a doctor and medicine is the only thing I'm interested in..

ReputationRep:
    I suppose there's no point saying that's really the kind of thing you should have looked up before choosing your A-levels, because without Chemistry... Well.

You could try doing a Biomedical science course that only asks for A-level Biology, and applying for post-graduate Medicine.
    However even this I'm not sure will work, seeing as some of them still want a B in A-level Chemistry.

The two remaining options are accelerated chemistry course (if you feel like working really hard for a year and doing the whole syllabus in a year) or gap year taking Chem.

ReputationRep:
    The foundation course is often effectively a conversion course for people with non science A-levels to give them access to the medicine course.

Manchester will take people with science A-levels on their foundation year as long as they don't have A--level chemistry. There may be others too. Alternatively, you could always do A-level chemistry - some colleges do an intensive course in a year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reck16)
    I suppose there's no point saying that's really the kind of thing you should have looked up before choosing your A-levels, because without Chemistry... Well.

You could try doing a Biomedical science course that only asks for A-level Biology, and applying for post-graduate Medicine.
    However even this I'm not sure will work, seeing as some of them still want a B in A-level Chemistry.

The two remaining options are accelerated chemistry course (if you feel like working really hard for a year and doing the whole syllabus in a year) or gap year taking Chem.
    It's because when I went into A levels I had the intention of becoming an accountant, however had a change of heard shortly after choosing my subjects. Trust me, I have regretted it ever since not choosing Chemistry.

If I do choose to take accelerated chemistry, where can this be done?

(Original post by SemperVivum)
    The foundation course is often effectively a conversion course for people with non science A-levels to give them access to the medicine course.

Manchester will take people with science A-levels on their foundation year as long as they don't have A--level chemistry. There may be others too. Alternatively, you could always do A-level chemistry - some colleges do an intensive course in a year.
    I had the intention of applying to Manchester, however having one pre-med school on an application is not very sturdy, and if I get rejected it's even worse..

Is taking A-level chemistry in a year really my only option left?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamTart)

It would give you the most options... even just taking AS chemistry would improve matters for you.

ReputationRep:
    It's because when I went into A levels I had the intention of becoming an accountant, however had a change of heard shortly after choosing my subjects. Trust me, I have regretted it ever since not choosing Chemistry.

If I do choose to take accelerated chemistry, where can this be done?

I had the intention of applying to Manchester, however having one pre-med school on an application is not very sturdy, and if I get rejected it's even worse..

Hey, yeah your best bet is to do an accelerated chem course. Try local colleges, i'm sure one of them will take you on =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SemperVivum)
    It would give you the most options... even just taking AS chemistry would improve matters for you.
    Yeah I was planning to take AS Chemistry next year, but then I went to a UCAS convention and again was stuck in a hard place.

Basically, if I take AS chemistry, then my chances of going to all pre-med schools are out the window. And even if I do take AS Chemistry, then there are only a handful of decent unis that take A2 Biology has a consolation so long as you have AS Chemistry. The top one I can think of is Imperial. But even then what are the chances of getting in? Plus, I'm sure they would rather have people who have A level chemistry anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I was planning to take AS Chemistry next year, but then I went to a UCAS convention and again was stuck in a hard place.

Basically, if I take AS chemistry, then my chances of going to all pre-med schools are out the window. And even if I do take AS Chemistry, then there are only a handful of decent unis that take A2 Biology has a consolation so long as you have AS Chemistry. The top one I can think of is Imperial. But even then what are the chances of getting in? Plus, I'm sure they would rather have people who have A level chemistry anyway.
    So bite the bullet - take A-level chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    If they say they will consider you with As chem then they will. Why would they say it if they didnt, it would only give them more applications to get through.

You need to research a bit more.
    All med schools are decent unis and you cant be being picky when you didnt even pick the right Alevel
    s.

UEA will consider you with your current subjects.
    UEA requierments:
    AAA to include Biology (Excl General Studies & Critical Thinking) + b at AS level in a 4th subject
    If you took As chem next year then these unis would consider you:

Newcastle requirements:
    AAA including Chemistry and/or Biology at A or AS level and excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking. If only one of Biology and/or Chemistry is offered at A or AS level, the other should be offered at GCSE grade A (or Dual Award Science grade A).
    Peninsular requirements:
    AABa: A typical offer is 400 UCAS points from a maximum of four A/AS levels. At least 340 points must come from three full GCE A level subjects. You must have an A grade in a science subject and a minimum grade C in all A/AS subjects.

Chemistry:

Not essential as long as you have 1 science subject at A2 (biology or physics)

Biology:

Not essential, as long as you take 1 science subject at A2 (including chemistry or physics)
    Cardiff requierments:
    Students should offer three A2 Levels, which must include two science subjects from Biology,Chemistry, Physics, and either Mathematics or Statistics, and also one AS Level in a fourth subject. At least one A2 Level science must be either Biology or Chemistry. If not offered at A2 Level, Biology and Chemistry must be offered at AS Level.
    Barts requirements:
    AAA grades from three A levels on predicted or already achieved grades + B grade in an additional AS-level in any academic subject.
    You must take Chemistry and Biology at AS level, and one or both of these subjects at A level. If you are planning to drop either Chemistry or Biology before doing A levels, you must attain a B grade in that subject at AS-level.
    You should have at least two science subjects at A levels, one of which is either Chemistry or Biology, as well as a third A level which can be either another science or a non-science subject.
    Imperial college requirements:
    The minimum entry requirements for the School of Medicine are as follows.

three A levels, including chemistry and/or biology and one science or mathematics subject
    one additional subject at AS level
    if either chemistry or biology is offered alone at A level, then the other is required at AS
    keele requirements:
    AAB including biology or chemistry plus another science subject (Maths or Further Maths accepted) and a third rigorous academic subject (minimum 60% assessed by externally marked examinations). General Studies, Key Skills and Critical Thinking are not accepted. It is not necessary for a grade A pass to be achieved in Chemistry or Biology. If only two sciences are offered, the Science subjects not offered at AS/A-level are required at GCSE grade B or above.
    Kings College requirements:
    Chemistry and Biology, at least one at A-level, the other must be at AS level. If A-level Maths is offered, Further Maths is acceptable at AS-level only. GCSE requirement: at least grade B at English Language and Maths, if not offered at A/AS-level
    Southampton requirements:
    AAA, including chemistry (alternativley, AS level chemistry and biology/human biology can be offered at grade A in addition to grades AAA at Alevel). General studies is not accepted. Subjects with material that overlaps (e.g. biology/sports studies, maths/further maths) may not be offered in combination at Alevel
    SGUL requirements:
    A-Levels: Candidates must achieve AAAb at A\AS level. All candidates must offer three A Level subjects and an additional distinct AS Level subject. We do not accept candidates who are taking A-Levels over three years but candidates may re-sit modules throughout years 12 and 13. All candidates must take Chemistry and Biology/Human Biology to A Level or one to A Level and one to AS Level. If either Chemistry or Biology are taken to AS Level, a mimimum of grade B must be achieved. Actual or predicted grades will be taken into consideration when assessing applications. General Studies and Key Skills will not be accepted as qualifying subjects.

Take As chem an it opens up 10 medschools for you to apply for. You can only put 4 on your UCAS form.
    However you will need to look up the GCSE and entrance exam detail/requirement yourself before deciding.

You obviously didnt research very hard before posting this if I managed this post in 7-10mins :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anon2010)
    If they say they will consider you with As chem then they will. Why would they say it if they didnt, it would only give them more applications to get through.

You need to research a bit more.
    All med schools are decent unis and you cant be being picky when you didnt even pick the right Alevel
    s.

UEA will consider you with your current subjects.
    UEA requierments:

If you took As chem next year then these unis would consider you:

Newcastle requirements:

Peninsular requirements:

Cardiff requierments:

Barts requirements:

Imperial college requirements:

keele requirements:

Kings College requirements:

Southampton requirements:

SGUL requirements:

Take As chem an it opens up 10 medschools for you to apply for. You can only put 4 on your UCAS form.
    However you will need to look up the GCSE and entrance exam detail/requirement yourself before deciding.

You obviously didnt research very hard before posting this if I managed this post in 7-10mins :rolleyes:
    Thank you thank you thank you for taking 7-10mins out of your life to research and help me! You have greatly improved my mentality and motivation to strive for medicine!

I was very upset and depressed earlier about my life, but you have re-ignited the flame in this young boy's heart!

But in all seriousness, thank you really. I'm so glad I have found out about TSR, it has helped me through life immensely. People like you is what life needs right now.

I know what I must do now and hopefully this path will lead to something I am proud of.

Thank you, I don't know what I would do if it wasn't for people like you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.