Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I had a meeting today and my manager told me that I was going to have to change my hours to have more staff where there was few before.

Everyone has had this meeting but as I found out after the meeting, some of my friends had said no and nothing was said about it. But myself and my manager were sat looking at this paper for about 10mins in silence because I'd already said no but it was like she wouldn't let me leave until I agreed!

My mum has cancer for the second time and my dad has breathing difficulties so he tries to help around the house but he can't do much before he's short of breath or coughing up. She knows this but still when I say "I've got mum and dad to look after" she says "can't you do all that in the morning?"

I told her my hours are perfect for me and my family but she says "they're not perfect for tesco" I couldn't believe it! I felt pressured and forced into it because I was last on her list!

Tomorrow I'm going to speak to HER boss and see what I can do but can she even do this? When I asked is there any way I can not do it she said that I'd have to in 13 weeks anyway. I've not signed a contract but it starts next week and I really don't want to do it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know much about this but don't employers have to make allowances if you're a carer or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cy4nide)
    I had a meeting today and my manager told me that I was going to have to change my hours to have more staff where there was few before.

Everyone has had this meeting but as I found out after the meeting, some of my friends had said no and nothing was said about it. But myself and my manager were sat looking at this paper for about 10mins in silence because I'd already said no but it was like she wouldn't let me leave until I agreed!

My mum has cancer for the second time and my dad has breathing difficulties so he tries to help around the house but he can't do much before he's short of breath or coughing up. She knows this but still when I say "I've got mum and dad to look after" she says "can't you do all that in the morning?"

I told her my hours are perfect for me and my family but she says "they're not perfect for tesco" I couldn't believe it! I felt pressured and forced into it because I was last on her list!

Tomorrow I'm going to speak to HER boss and see what I can do but can she even do this? When I asked is there any way I can not do it she said that I'd have to in 13 weeks anyway. I've not signed a contract but it starts next week and I really don't want to do it.
    If you have not signed a contract then they could let you go ---but they need a valid reason first. so dont worry about that. but do be careful. erm....speak to her boss, explain the situation and ask if its poissible to work around, explain what hours you need to help your parents. you and the boss might work it around.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure I qualify as a carer, I mean I don't get carers allowance or anything...

(Original post by meilan990)
    If you have not signed a contract then they could let you go ---but they need a valid reason first. so dont worry about that. but do be careful. erm....speak to her boss, explain the situation and ask if its poissible to work around, explain what hours you need to help your parents. you and the boss might work it around.
    I have signed a contract so she's trying to change the hours I'm contracted to which is why I didn't think it was allowed

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure I qualify as a carer, I mean I don't get carers allowance or anything...

I have signed a contract so she's trying to change the hours I'm contracted to which is why I didn't think it was allowed
    If your existing contract specifies your hours and they force you to change them without your consent, you can sue for breach of contract. Even if the contract does not specify your hours, you may still have a case for constructive dismissal.

These are a last resort, but knowing this is useful.

As a first step you must to write a dated letter explaining that you are not willing to accept the changes to your hours with a very brief explanation of why (not too much detail). You need to give a copy to your boss, and ideally HR and her boss.

You -must- make it clear that you can't accept the change in hours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HistoryRepeating)
    If your existing contract specifies your hours and they force you to change them without your consent, you can sue for breach of contract. Even if the contract does not specify your hours, you may still have a case for constructive dismissal.

These are a last resort, but knowing this is useful.

As a first step you must to write a dated letter explaining that you are not willing to accept the changes to your hours with a very brief explanation of why (not too much detail). You need to give a copy to your boss, and ideally HR and her boss.

You -must- make it clear that you can't accept the change in hours.
    That's what I didn't understand, I said no a few times but we sat there in silence until I agreed!

I don't think I've got time to write a letter, it starts next week so I'm going to speak to her boss today if I find her

ReputationRep:
    That's what I didn't understand, I said no a few times but we sat there in silence until I agreed!

I don't think I've got time to write a letter, it starts next week so I'm going to speak to her boss today if I find her
    Writing a letter takes 10 minutes. You dont need to post it, just give it to them in person.

I'm a lawyer, I'm telling you, you MUST do this. You need it in (dated) writing. Please listen to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HistoryRepeating)
    Writing a letter takes 10 minutes. You dont need to post it, just give it to them in person.

I'm a lawyer, I'm telling you, you MUST do this. You need it in (dated) writing. Please listen to me.
    Okay I'll do it, I'm leaving for work in a minute so I'll have to speak to her boss and then write the letter tonight

Do you know whether or not if nothing gets sorted by next week but I turn up for my shifts as normal, not the ones she wants me to swap to, if they can tell me off for it?

ReputationRep:
    Okay I'll do it, I'm leaving for work in a minute so I'll have to speak to her boss and then write the letter tonight

Do you know whether or not if nothing gets sorted by next week but I turn up for my shifts as normal, not the ones she wants me to swap to, if they can tell me off for it?
    Ok when you speak to her you need to make it clear that you were pressured into agreeing before, and you actually dont agree at all.

In your letter refer to your conversation ("As I told you in our conversation this morning, I am unable to accept the changes to my work schedule due to my personal situation.// I care for my mother and...." etc) explicitly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.