Turn on thread page Beta

Can I have some fitness advice? watch

ReputationRep:
    I posted something a few months ago detailing my routine to people. I got torn apart. I can see now why it was so ****, however, people were unnecessarily rude about it.

I've changed it now:

Monday: core and forearms
    - Morning 5k run including sprints
    - Abs: 21x5 crunches, 21x2 sit ups and 10x2 barbell things (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggiYjRelWgc at around 50 seconds)
    - Forearms: reverse curls : 9kg- 11x3

Tuesday: biceps and triceps (Spartan Day)
    - Barbell curls: 20kg- 21x4
    - Tricep dips: 21x5
    - Deadlifts: 55kg- 6x5
    - Squats: 20kg- 50x1
    - Dummbell curls: 15kg- 21x2
    - Barbell things: 40kg-10x2
    - Finish off with 10 minutes skipping session and light weight lifting (5kg 60x1)

Wednesday: core (/rest)
    - Morning Run (as Monday)
    - Crunches: 21x6
    - Reverse sit ups: 21x2
    - Press ups: 21x3

Thursday: compound/triceps/biceps/ beast
    - Morning Run (shorter)
    - 15 mintues skipping
    - Bench press: 50kg- 6x3
    - Squats: 20kg- 21x2
    - Deadlifts: 55kg- 6x3
    - Barbell curls: 20kg- 21x3
    - Tricep reverse curls- 21x3
    - Tricep dips- 21x3

Friday: core and triceps
    - Crunches: 21x5
    - Reverse sit ups: 21x3
    - Press ups: 21x3
    - Triceps dips: 21x3
    - Tricep reverse curls: 21x3

Saturday: compund and core
    - Morning run
    - Bench press: 50kg- 6x8
    - Deadlift: 65kg- 5x3
    - Squat: 20kg- 6x8
    - Barbell curls: 20kg- 21x2
    - Barbell thing (300)- 30kg and 6x3

Sunday: DAY OFF/ Cricket

Thanks for reading. Just so's you know, I don't want to be using the gym, because I would only be using it up until the end of this month and then cricket takes priority. Also, people who just say "oh that's so **** lol", please go elsewhere- if you're gonna criticise this, please say why and what I can do to rectify it please .

ReputationRep:
    Way too much. Stick to only compound moves: Deadlift, squat, benchpress, Overhead/Military press, pull-ups, dips, bent-over row. Add some isometric core exercises like planks and L-sits, not crunches. Don't bother doing any more than 10 reps of an exercise, once you get to more than 10 pull-ups and dips, add weight with a dipping belt or dumbbell held between your thighs.

Also, diet is equally as important as how you workout.

ReputationRep:
    Just do compounds.. you don't need all the ab stuff and all the curls etc..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMorgan26)
    Way too much. Stick to only compound moves: Deadlift, squat, benchpress, Overhead/Military press, pull-ups, dips, bent-over row. Add some isometric core exercises like planks and L-sits, not crunches. Don't bother doing any more than 10 reps of an exercise, once you get to more than 10 pull-ups and dips, add weight with a dipping belt or dumbbell held between your thighs.

Also, diet is equally as important as how you workout.

(Original post by IGregg)
    MmmKay. I'll try some isometrics and cut out the curls . In terms of my diet, I have porridge every day (varied with poached egg on toast) and 2 chicken breats with rice for lunch (varied with a veg platter; celery, leek, onion, broccoli, spring onion, tomatoes etc- with rice). I have whatever me and my mom cook for tea . This okay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DLJ)
    MmmKay. I'll try some isometrics and cut out the curls . In terms of my diet, I have porridge every day (varied with poached egg on toast) and 2 chicken breats with rice for lunch (varied with a veg platter; celery, leek, onion, broccoli, spring onion, tomatoes etc- with rice). I have whatever me and my mom cook for tea . This okay?
    Firstly, stop fearing the fat. Otherwise it depends on what your goals are. Do you want to gain weight or lose weight?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomas...)
    That is too much. You need to take a rest at least every other day. Not sure why, but this is what I've learnt from rugby mates/teachers at school/Internet. Also, which I've found to greatly increase my muscle gain is to do sets. So for example, instead of doing 50 tricep dips then not doing any more for the night, have a routine.
    Get a weight that you can do 20 to 30 reps with and pick 5 or 6 exercises. Do them in order, and over again, and over again, and over again (3 or 4 sets). This keeps the muscles active throughout the workout and allows more gain of lean muscle.
    Also I've heard that running can be a negative effect on muscle gain. To do with wasting energy supplies, or something. Weights will keep you fit no matter how much running you do.
    Also are you taking any protein shakes, when I started to take 'maximuscle cyclone' I really did see improvements.
    Thanks and Good Luck!
    So your saying to do 5 sets of 20/30 reps ? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Well that's what I do. It kills afterwards and in the morning too. You can really feel it work. :rolleyes:
    :facepalm:

Your training wrong then and also don't give out such ridiculous advice next time. On a positive note read the Sticky

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=721990

OP you can't focus on gym for a month or a short period and neglect it afterwards, most of the top cricketers do train in the gym one way or another and use weights, look up WS4SB and incorporate that around your cricket training and you'll see yourself how it benefits you, good luck :yy:

ReputationRep:
    If you think I'm training wrong (not one to blow my own trumpet) you should see my body. :rolleyes:
    Pretty much anyone can look good with low enough bodyfat. How much do you bench, squat and deadlift? This thread was about fitness not bodybuilding.

ReputationRep:
    Remember to incorporate rest days into your routine - it's essential for proper recovery, and overtraining can actually weaken even the best athletes.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, stop fearing the fat. Otherwise it depends on what your goals are. Do you want to gain weight or lose weight?
    I mean, I think I get a lot of fat from tea- I like to eat a lot :coma:. And I want to stay at 12 stone, currently, and just gain muscle mass and become 'leaner'.

ReputationRep:
    That's one of the mistakes that I made when I first started out.

You shouldn't leave out the midsection work (ab rollouts/planks etc.) even if you are squatting and deadlifts etc...

ReputationRep:
    That is too much. You need to take a rest at least every other day. Not sure why, but this is what I've learnt from rugby mates/teachers at school/Internet. Also, which I've found to greatly increase my muscle gain is to do sets. So for example, instead of doing 50 tricep dips then not doing any more for the night, have a routine.
    Get a weight that you can do 20 to 30 reps with and pick 5 or 6 exercises. Do them in order, and over again, and over again, and over again (3 or 4 sets). This keeps the muscles active throughout the workout and allows more gain of lean muscle.
    Also I've heard that running can be a negative effect on muscle gain. To do with wasting energy supplies, or something. Weights will keep you fit no matter how much running you do.
    Also are you taking any protein shakes, when I started to take 'maximuscle cyclone' I really did see improvements.
    Thanks and Good Luck!
    Thanks for the reply! So of I was to work on my biceps, I would chose the exercises (e.g. barbell curls and compounds), and then do the individual exercise, e.g. complete 6x8 curls, before starting another? Because I usually do 1 set then do another exercise, then do another. Is this counterproductive?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply. I mean, I do want hard abs (not a ripped six pack) but definition and a good core, so what would you recommend for this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DLJ)
    I mean, I think I get a lot of fat from tea- I like to eat a lot :coma:. And I want to stay at 12 stone, currently, and just gain muscle mass and become 'leaner'.
    Sorry but you can't gain muscle mass and stay at the same weight, muscle is heavy. Eat more and you'll get bigger and stronger.

(Original post by cowsforsale)
    That's one of the mistakes that I made when I first started out.

You shouldn't leave out the midsection work (ab rollouts/planks etc.) even if you are squatting and deadlifts etc...
    This. If you're not even squatting and deadlifting your own bodyweight your core is doing hardly any work at all. Once you get to 1.5/2x bw lifts your core won't need much extra work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guvnor)
    :facepalm:

Your training wrong then and also don't give out such ridiculous advice next time. On a positive note read the Sticky

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=721990

OP you can't focus on gym for a month or a short period and neglect it afterwards, most of the top cricketers do train in the gym one way or another and use weights, look up WS4SB and incorporate that around your cricket training and you'll see yourself how it benefits you, good luck :yy:
    Lol, I'm far from a top cricketer. I meant that I'll play a lot, and it's a high standard, and I'm an important player in the team so will be involved a lot (opening bowler/top order batsmen). So, with training and a lot of matches, I won't be able to go to the gym at all, and will focus on weights and exercises at home .

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm not massive, I'm not a bodybuilder, I bench 110 free weight. I don't workout to become 'hench', I do it to look good (vanity I know) and keep fit, but workouts work differently for different people. Guvnor, who blindly dismissed my style of workout may have a different style that works for him. Personally the type of routine i mentioned above did wonders for me.
    Sets are mentioned in many internet sources and also many of the actual gym bunnies I know. Guvnor is clearly missing out, and I feel sorry for him.
    110kg or 110lbs? At what bodyweight? If you don't squat or deadlift you should start.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm not massive, I'm not a bodybuilder, I bench 110 free weight. I don't workout to become 'hench', I do it to look good (vanity I know) and keep fit, but workouts work differently for different people. Guvnor, who blindly dismissed my style of workout may have a different style that works for him. Personally the type of routine i mentioned above did wonders for me.
    Sets are mentioned in many internet sources and also many of the actual gym bunnies I know. Guvnor is clearly missing out, and I feel sorry for him.
    You are so freaking retarded it is unreal.

ReputationRep:
    This. If you're not even squatting and deadlifting your own bodyweight your core is doing hardly any work at all. Once you get to 1.5/2x bw lifts your core won't need much extra work.
    I would say the exact opposite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeanK22)
    You are so freaking retarded it is unreal.
    <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    I would say the exact opposite.
    I always thought that with that much weight on your shoulders/in your hands your core is getting lots of work stabilising you throughout the movement, same with anything where the bar goes overhead. Why do you think differently?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.