Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

No Insurance! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

Right, I have a dilemma. I have a offer from Bristol, which I will put as my firm choice.

BUT it is my lowest offer (33 points on IB), which means I don't have an insurance.

What would everyone recommend? Is it worth putting an insurance that is HIGHER than my firm in the hope they'll accept if I get below 33?

My other offers are: Nottingham - 34 points
    Birmingham - 34 points
    Exeter - 36 (although I doubt they will lower their offer)

Any help is appreciated

ReputationRep:
    You can use an offer higher than your firm as your insurance, I did!

You have to have an insurance unless you hold an unconditional offer, and even if you miss out by one or two points, the uni with the higher offer may still accept you.

ReputationRep:
    When I applied to uni I put an offer higher than my firm for my insurance. Bizarrely enough, I didn't get the grades the insurance wanted but they lowered the offer for me, but I still went for my firm in the end.

ReputationRep:
    No harm in putting an insurance down just incase You never know they may be more lenient depending on what subjects you do well in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bradffc)
    Hi Guys,

Right, I have a dilemma. I have a offer from Bristol, which I will put as my firm choice.

BUT it is my lowest offer (33 points on IB), which means I don't have an insurance.

What would everyone recommend? Is it worth putting an insurance that is HIGHER than my firm in the hope they'll accept if I get below 33?

Birmingham - 34 points

Any help is appreciated
    (Original post by JKGB)
    You can use an offer higher than your firm as your insurance, I did!

You have to have an insurance unless you hold an unconditional offer, and even if you miss out by one or two points, the uni with the higher offer may still accept you.
    This exactly, couldn't have put it better myself.

Here's a hypothetical situation for you: You miss your first choice by a point and, as their course is very full, they don't accept you. Your insurance may then accept you if they really liked you or if their course is not so full. Whilst this situation is unlikely, chances are it will happen occasionally.

Presumably you're fairly likely to get into Bristol anyway as it's your lowest?

ReputationRep:
    DEFINITELY put down an insurance. Your first could change their mind. And if you don't get what they want, the insurance can be very leniant.

My insurance wanted higher than my firm, but they still let me in when I failed to get into my firm. Doesn't even matter where it is. I absolutely did not want to go to my insurance at all, but it turned out to be the best thing that has ever happened to me.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers Guys great advice, hopefully I will get the grades for my firm but there's no harm in preparing for the worst case scenario!

So which uni do you think would be leniant on their offers?

I dont think Exeter will be, but out of Nottingham and Birmingham? Any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bradffc)
    Hi Guys,

Birmingham - 34 points

Any help is appreciated
    Yeah it is worth doing, there is a small chance your insurance if you picked one of the 34 ones may accept you, I know someone who got into uni even though she was 6 points below her offer :O

ReputationRep:
    I was in this situation, and I was just going to put Bristol down as my firm and not have an insurance. The way I thought of it was that if I don't even get these grades, I'm not going to university anyway so it doesn't make any difference that I don't have a back up, as no university that I want to go to would make me a lower offer than that. I don't think that makes sense now I've written it out, but that was my thought process
    Some might be more lenient, I'd say if you're really worred you might not get the grades, just put one down anyway - you've got nothing to lose and everything to gain (a place at uni!)

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.