Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

Could anyone please help me with the last part? I just want to know the way it can be solved. My equations, etc lead me to deceleration of one of the blocks.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah which means there is no motion. Our teacher mentioned this question.

Its a really harsh question, wouldn't be out of place on M3 apparently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eliotball)
    Yeah which means there is no motion. Our teacher mentioned this question.

Its a really harsh question, wouldn't be out of place on M3 apparently.
    Oh, cool. I'm doing AS Level and my teacher gave it as an M1 question. :eek: Well, THIS is really a harsh question. I hope anyone here can help me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zishi)
    Oh, cool. I'm doing AS Level and my teacher gave it as an M1 question. :eek: Well, THIS is really a harsh question. I hope anyone here can help me...
    It is M1, it was on my paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zishi)

Could anyone please help me with the last part? I just want to know the way it can be solved. My equations, etc lead me to deceleration of one of the blocks.
    Yeh, it was on my paper last year... you should end up with a deceleration value for the bottom if you used F=ma (it is wrong obviously!). For the upper block.. if my memory serves me right it should have an acceleration of 4. something or another possibly?

For the bottom block, from previous parts in the question you should have worked out friction and various co-efficients of frictions. The bottom block will have 2 frictional forces acting on it - one from the top block and another from the surface. If you work out what these are correctly and add them you should find that it exceeds the 4N force being applied to it and so we can deduce that this bottom block will never move. With the friction force being greater than the 4N, it is why you ended up with a deceleration (an acceleration in the opposite direction), due to the friction, but since the bottom box isn't moving, it's absurd to think that the friction would cause the box to move, this is because friction (assuming the box is not moving and is not in limiting equilibrium) only ever provides what is "needed" to oppose the force pulling it forward. Long story short, the bottom box will never move.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farhan.Hanif93)
    It is M1, it was on my paper.
    Which exam board and which year, please?

(Original post by dknt)
    Yeh, it was on my paper last year... you should end up with a deceleration value for the bottom if you used F=ma (it is wrong obviously!). For the upper block.. if my memory serves me right it should have an acceleration of 4. something or another possibly?

For the bottom block, from previous parts in the question you should have worked out friction and various co-efficients of frictions. The bottom block will have 2 frictional forces acting on it - one from the top block and another from the surface. If you work out what these are correctly and add them you should find that it exceeds the 4N force being applied to it and so we can deduce that this bottom block will never move. With the friction force being greater than the 4N, it is why you ended up with a deceleration (an acceleration in the opposite direction), due to the friction, but since the bottom box isn't moving, it's absurd to think that the friction would cause the box to move, this is because friction (assuming the box is not moving and is not in limiting equilibrium) only ever provides what is "needed" to oppose the force pulling it forward. Long story short, the bottom box will never move.
    Yay! I also get the acceleration of upper block as 4.09 ms-2. Plus I get negative acceleration of the lower block. Does that mean that my answers are right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zishi)
    Which exam board and which year, please?
    OCR June 2010

Yay! I also get the acceleration of upper block as 4.09 ms-2. Plus I get negative acceleration of the lower block. Does that mean that my answers are right?
    That sounds right but there's probably a mark for explaining that the bottom box doesn't move.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farhan.Hanif93)
    OCR June 2010

That sounds right but there's probably a mark for explaining that the bottom box doesn't move.
    Hmm, I got it. Thank you!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 6, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.