Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Man)
    And then what?
    I'll have no- end of ways to entertain myself with pretty- looking technology =)

ReputationRep:
    It has *******s all to do with being a student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linweth)
    It has *******s all to do with being a student.
    It does.

Being a student = little money for luxuries.

Not being a student and having a full time job would mean we could buy the things we want [within reason, obviously]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bloomblaze)
    It does.

Not being a student and having a full time job would mean we could buy the things we want [within reason, obviously]
    It isn't exclusive to students, many people cannot buy things they want thus it has '**** all to do with being a student'

ReputationRep:
    It does.

Not really, I don't get loans but my parent's pay for what I ask for. Its just a matter of calling them up, even though I don't really like doing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Mate, that's life.
    Pretty much - i work fulltime and i cant afford to buy all the things i want,

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, its balls

ReputationRep:
    Just have some fiscal discipline for a few years... it will come handy later in life as well

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant. Lets all go to university so we can aspire to become consumerist slaves!

Spoiler:
    Show
    The things you own, own you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arabcnesbit)
    Brilliant. Lets all go to university so we can aspire to become consumerist slaves!

The things you own, own you.
    You're a nudist tree-hugging hippie no doubt? With an IQ of 70? A fiat uno 97 owns you I assume.
    If you're so anachronistic and such a simpleton I'm surprised you have a computer and you're not out churning butter.
    Watch out with tough words like 'aspire' nudist boy.

ReputationRep:
    OK I'll probably get heavily negged for this post but I'll just tell it how it is.

I don't understand how people can say they can't afford to buy the stuff they want.

I come from a very low income family where I've never been given money from my parents apart from birthdays etc.

At ages 16-18, using income from a sort of well paid part-time job and EMA, I managed to afford buying the latest iPhone every year on a £65/month contract, regularly update my wardrobe with semi-expensive clothes to keep up with seasonal trends (I'm talking mid-range brands like Levis, Esprit, Bench, Nike etc), pay for *daily* Starbucks trips, spend about £30 a month on iPhone games and Spotify subscription etc.

Since starting uni, not even having that part-time job anymore but making some additional money from investments and obviously loans/grants/bursaries, I've not only kept all of this up but bought a MacBook Pro, started buying clothes at more upmarket shops (and at uni I only buy food from M&S or Pret etc), and still manage to put aside loads of extra money in savings every month.

I don't understand where people's money goes. Even coming from a very low income household where my parents can't really help me out with money yet I've never, ever been unable to afford to buy something I really wanted (and believe me I want a lot lol). So I'm genuinely curious why people keep complaining about not being able to afford stuff?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emerset)
    You're a nudist tree-hugging hippie no doubt? With an IQ of 70? A fiat uno 97 owns you I assume.
    If you're so anachronistic and such a simpleton I'm surprised you have a computer and you're not out churning butter.
    Watch out with tough words like 'aspire' nudist boy.
    I haven't hugged any trees for quite some time nor have I a tendency to roam around naked. Never done an IQ test so it may well be 70. If not wanting to exist merely to consume is anachronistic, then these are indeed sad times.

Oh, I think you can pick up a Fiat Uno for next to nothing, so I don't think it would own you. Perhaps when you're saddled with loan, car, credit card and mortgage repayments so you can buy all your lovely stuff you will be extremely fulfilled with your life. If this is the case I'm very happy for you.

Nothing wrong with aspirations. I just believe aspiring to own certain consumables is rather pathetic. Each to their own though.

ReputationRep:
    We'll always want more. When you're earning and able to afford the things you want now, they'll no longer satisfy you and you'll keep wanting to earn more money to met your ever-increasing standards. You'd better get used to 'wanting things you can't have', because we're stuck in an endless cycle of consumption.

ReputationRep:
    for example, i earn £70-£90 per week- Id love to buy a lot of new clothes, furniture for my room, a macbook pro etc but can afford to.

anyone alse feel the same ie hate the fact that u cant buy the things you want because your a student???
    No you're the only one. Everybody else loves not being able to afford things. :rolleyes:

What do you expect?

ReputationRep:
    I earned 5k last summer (well I will have once I get some of it back off the tax man, ****) so im sweet.

12 hour days, 7 days a week are not fun. But the money is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick Longjohnson)
    This.Has.Got.To.Be.A.Joke.
    We Apple fanboys do exist

ReputationRep:
    Only one way forward....

... Crack dealing :y:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    OK I'll probably get heavily negged for this post but I'll just tell it how it is.

I don't understand how people can say they can't afford to buy the stuff they want.

I come from a very low income family where I've never been given money from my parents apart from birthdays etc.

At ages 16-18, using income from a sort of well paid part-time job and EMA, I managed to afford buying the latest iPhone every year on a £65/month contract, regularly update my wardrobe with semi-expensive clothes to keep up with seasonal trends (I'm talking mid-range brands like Levis, Esprit, Bench, Nike etc), pay for *daily* Starbucks trips, spend about £30 a month on iPhone games and Spotify subscription etc.

Since starting uni, not even having that part-time job anymore but making some additional money from investments and obviously loans/grants/bursaries, I've not only kept all of this up but bought a MacBook Pro, started buying clothes at more upmarket shops (and at uni I only buy food from M&S or Pret etc), and still manage to put aside loads of extra money in savings every month.

I don't understand where people's money goes. Even coming from a very low income household where my parents can't really help me out with money yet I've never, ever been unable to afford to buy something I really wanted (and believe me I want a lot lol). So I'm genuinely curious why people keep complaining about not being able to afford stuff?!
    £65 a month contract? WTF!!

Anyway, the real answer is that you come form a low income household so you get a lot more state support. EMA, bigger student loans and grants etc etc.

Also, it depends on how much you go out, where you are living (my friend in Durham spends about half the amount of money I do in Bath just because it is so much cheaper up there), how much you eat / drink, if you travel around a lot (I spend a fair bit of money going to see my gf and going to see Cardiff games), etc etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    Oh perlease, when you graduate, get a job and live on your own you'll barely afford all those things.

Student life taught me to get used to it. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Sadly working full time does not necessarily mean being able to afford the things you want. My OH works full time during the week as a carpenter AND works weekends, I have my student loan and I work weekends and we still have prettymuch no money to spare once we've paid the mortgage, bills, paid for petrol and food and so on.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.