Turn on thread page Beta

Number of partitions of 11 elements into 3 subsets? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am asked to compute the number of partitions of a set consisting of 11 elements into three subsets.

I found this equation on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirlin...ind#Definition

and I've tried it with 4 elements, 3 subsets and I get \frac{1}{6}(1)(1)(3^4) = 13.5 but (if i'm right) there are only 6 different partitions of 4 elements into 3 subsets:

(12)(3)(4)

(1)(23)(4)

(1)(2)(34)

(14)(2)(3)

(13)(2)(4)

(1)(24)(3)

(which makes more sense than 13.5 anyway since it is a whole number).

Am I using the wrong equation? Could anyone be of help? Thank you so much
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    If you substitute into that formula correctly then you get \begin{Bmatrix} 4 \\ 3 \end{Bmatrix} = \dfrac{1}{6} \bigg( (1)(1)(3^4) + (-1)(3)(2^4) + (1)(3)(1^4) + (-1)(1)(0^4) \bigg), which correctly gives 6; I'm not sure why you stopped at the first term of the sum.

ReputationRep:
    ahh thank you so much!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    If you substitute into that formula correctly then you get \begin{Bmatrix} 4 \\ 3 \end{Bmatrix} = \dfrac{1}{6} \bigg( (1)(1)(3^4) + (-1)(3)(2^4) + (1)(3)(1^4) + (-1)(1)(0^4) \bigg), which correctly gives 6; I'm not sure why you stopped at the first term of the sum.
    Sorry to bother you again I just want to make sure I've fully understood! I've just tried doing it with n=11, k=3;

\frac{1}{6}[((1)(1)(3^{11})) + ((-1)(3)(2^{11})) + ((1)(3)(1^{11})) + ((-1)(1)(0^{11}))]

However, being to the power of 11, I feel like this sequence should carry on? But \displaystyle \binom{3}{4} and \displaystyle \binom{3}{5} etc are impossible so I might be right in ending at \displaystyle \binom{3}{3} in the final (-1)\displaystyle \binom{3}{3}(0^{11}) = (-1)(1)(0^{11}) term?

Thank you again!
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by furryvision)
    Sorry to bother you again I just want to make sure I've fully understood! I've just tried doing it with n=11, k=3;

\frac{1}{6}[((1)(1)(3^{11})) + ((-1)(3)(2^{11})) + ((1)(3)(1^{11})) + ((-1)(1)(0^{11}))]

However, being to the power of 11, I feel like this sequence should carry on? But \displaystyle \binom{3}{4} and \displaystyle \binom{3}{5} etc are impossible so I might be right in ending at \displaystyle \binom{3}{3} in the final (-1)\displaystyle \binom{3}{3}(0^{11}) = (-1)(1)(0^{11}) term?

Thank you again!
    Why would the series carry on? The series runs from 0 to k, and in this case k=3, so it makes sense that you have 4 terms. The fact that you have a power of 11 in there needn't have an impact on the sum (and if the 11 wasn't there then it would be worrying because it doesn't appear anywhere else!) From what I can see, you've done it right; you just have to evaluate it now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    Why would the series carry on? The series runs from 0 to k, and in this case k=3, so it makes sense that you have 4 terms. The fact that you have a power of 11 in there needn't have an impact on the sum (and if the 11 wasn't there then it would be worrying because it doesn't appear anywhere else!) From what I can see, you've done it right; you just have to evaluate it now.
    thank you so much very grateful!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 5, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.