Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

MSc Software Engineering - York vs Southampton vs UCL watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am interested in a Software Engineering masters at either York, Southampton or UCL. I would like to hear more thoughts on the relative merits of these universities. For e.g. are there any distinct advantages that one of these universities offer which might be lacking in others ? I am international applicant, so I am interested in opinions closer to the ground.

Thank you !

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a computer scientist myself, though I do know a guy doing the MSc in Computer Science at UCL. All I know is it's killing him.

Southampton is very strong for CompSci, I have another friend there at undergrad level and he just won some Google award bursary thing which is supposed to be very competitive.

Check out the link below, though remember to look at the individual categories where the unis have scored highly, rather than paying too much attention to the overall ranking. Decide which factors are most important to you, and hopefully that'll help inform your opinion.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...ciences-and-it

ReputationRep:
    Southampton has a very good CS department, but UCL is an overall more prestigious university and its well-known outside of Europe. It's also much more expensive (it's in London!)

I know UCL makes it very difficult for MSc students, and you should be expecting loads of stuff to do every week. But also they have very good connections with industry and a very good job zone. Getting into UCL is also more difficult as they only have 25 positions for software engineering every year and I know that half of these positions are already allocated for.

If you already have an offer for UCL and you can afford it then go for it, if not I'd say focus on Southampton or other alternatives.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your responses. I should have mentioned that I do have offers from Southampton and York and am waiting to hear from UCL. I like the courses at York very much and am currently leaning towards York as my final choice. Assuming expense is not an issue, is it worth waiting for UCL ?

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations for your offers. York has a good CS department (not as good as Southampton).

Yes, I think it's worth waiting for UCL. When did you apply?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I applied to UCL about a month ago.

ReputationRep:
    hi Suhridk...
    If u are going for York ... let me knw.. m also going for MS in S/W engg... in york...

ReputationRep:
    Update: I received an offer from UCL for their MSc Software Systems Engineering programme.

I will be getting into a pile of debt for the MSc, so finding a great job will be important after graduating.

What I would like to know now is this: will the UCL reputation and London location be important enough factors when it comes down to jobs ? Given all else equal between UCL/Southampton/York MSc's, should these factors swing the deal towards UCL for me ?

Any advice appreciated.

Many thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suhridk)
    Update: I received an offer from UCL for their MSc Software Systems Engineering programme.

I will be getting into a pile of debt for the MSc, so finding a great job will be important after graduating.

What I would like to know now is this: will the UCL reputation and London location be important enough factors when it comes down to jobs ? Given all else equal between UCL/Southampton/York MSc's, should these factors swing the deal towards UCL for me ?

Any advice appreciated.

Many thanks.
    Definitely.

If you're looking for a great job in the future, UCL is a great choice.

ReputationRep:
    The pile of debt that you get into will be considerably larger if you go to UCL thanks to the difference in living costs between London and the rest of the UK. Are the fees the same at all of the unis?

In my opinion (and that's all it is) having a Masters from UCL may only enhance your application at the initial stages (if you get to interview it won't make any difference whatsoever), and even then only in a very minor way. What will be more important is enthusiasm and skill developed in the Masters which comes across in your applications.

So, i would look very very carefully at the module lists and information about the courses and choose based on those factors. Yes reputation comes into it slightly, but for me, it's only slightly as all 3 unis are consistently in the top 10 for compsci. Note that in 2011 UCL has actually dropped below both Southampton and York... http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...mputer+Science

I am at York doing a PhD in the computer science dept and i did a MSc here last year. I also demonstrate in labs for one of the modules that Software Engineers do... So if you've any specific questions about the course at York, or York in general then ask away.

I think you're onto a winner whichever uni you choose. Obviously i'm slightly biased towards York, but that's because it's a great place to live and the dept is very good. I'm not a fan of Southampton and London is a bit too intense for me! My experiences of UCL from other friends are that it's a very driven, focused environment... whilst York tends to be a bit more relaxed about things.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for your replies !
    @newDana, some questions about the job scene at York : How many MSc students in general find jobs before their graduation date ? Does the university make efforts to help masters students find a job through things like campus job fairs or are students expected to do their own job hunting ? Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    @newDana, some questions about the job scene at York : How many MSc students in general find jobs before their graduation date ? Does the university make efforts to help masters students find a job through things like campus job fairs or are students expected to do their own job hunting ? Thank you.
    My honest answer to this is i'm not too sure - and here's why... i took my Masters with the single objective of using it to gain PhD funding, so i never really looked into the job fair type stuff. As i was on a different course i didn't really know too many people from the Software Engineering course. The ones that i know do have jobs either back in their home countries or here in England.

At undergrad level there is a lot of support in getting industrial placements for a year and some student's also do their research project as a placement in industry. Although i don't know anyone myself who went down the industrial project placement as a postgrad, i know that it is possible and York has very good links with a large number of companies. If you are focused on working in industry afterwards i think the project placement is a very good opportunity and there are people in the dept. who's job it is to help you find a placement if you want one.

The uni does have a helpful careers service which puts on careers fairs (i used them at undergrad level when i was in a different department) but careers are definitely well supported by the department as well. For example, there is a departmental forum which currently lists 15 job/postgrad opportunites for this year - all of which are posted by individual lecturers/researchers who have come across them. A separate departmental careers site has an additional 12 positions listed.

I don't hold much weight with league tables.. but seeing as it's been published today and we moved up to 6th (2 places above Southampton and 12 above UCL) i thought i would show it off here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...er-sciences-it
    In the final column "career after 6 months' York wins over Southampton and UCL don't provide a figure... So take from that what you will.

ReputationRep:
    @newDana, this is very helpful. Thanks a bunch !

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.