Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonguy123)
    Yeah, I was thinking about an intensive week long course, about £500 to get it out of the way. And yeah, i agree, it would cost me about 4k :eek: for insurance, and I probably wouldn't use a car in uni, so I'll stick to the bus
    Watch out for them crash courses, sometimes they have weird rules and terms and conditions about passing your test - although if you find a good one it can work out cheaper than normal lessons. For instance I passed in 30 lessons, would've been around 25 if I didn't fail my first time - instantly that's £600 + two driving tests (£100) and then theory (£30) something - making a crash course much cheaper if you find a reputable company that doesn't take the piss.

ReputationRep:
    Put it into a bank asap to get some interest, and use it to pay for living expenses etc for Uni. Also, it may be useful 'emergency' money for if unexpectedly you loose your job and to make ends meet you need some extra cash.

ReputationRep:
    If that was an option it would be more fun to go to Vegas
    And to be honest I don't want to spend all day at the shop filling in tickets
    Lucky dip. Watch the person have a heart attack trying to keep count

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Troubled_Student)
    Watch out for them crash courses, sometimes they have weird rules and terms and conditions about passing your test - although if you find a good one it can work out cheaper than normal lessons. For instance I passed in 30 lessons, would've been around 25 if I didn't fail my first time - instantly that's £600 + two driving tests (£100) and then theory (£30) something - making a crash course much cheaper if you find a reputable company that doesn't take the piss.
    I'll keep that in mind cheers. The main reason I was thinking bout a week course was that it would be done and dusted, it wouldn't interfere with anything. Thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iPodAddict93)
    Put it into a bank asap to get some interest, and use it to pay for living expenses etc for Uni. Also, it may be useful 'emergency' money for if unexpectedly you loose your job and to make ends meet you need some extra cash.
    Yeah, I will do, I don't inherit for 2 months, but I certainly won't waste getting any possible interest. And yeah, that certainly sounds like a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History-Student)
    Lucky dip. Watch the person have a heart attack trying to keep count
    Then upload it to youtube, get a cut of the ad profits, sorted. This could be a plan here

ReputationRep:
    10 year high interest bond. Bit dull, but a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planar)
    10 year high interest bond. Bit dull, but a good idea.
    But really the economy is too unpredictable to lock away money for that long, you could loose out big time...

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say we are struggling, we cope the same as anyone else in the country on benefits. But it would be nice to treat my family to a nice hol or something, something that we could never normally afford.

Also is there any risk in Income bonds?
    Anyone on benefits, IS struggling, whether you like to think so or not.

Do your own research with regards to bonds, yes there is risk, there is risk with any type of investment!

ReputationRep:
    But really the economy is too unpredictable to lock away money for that long, you could loose out big time...
    It is a risk, but inflation is unlikely to go up much further(interest rate rises will happen soon), and there are some really safe bets - gilts etc.. besides, with larger risk usually comes larger reward. Stick with two years or five if you want.

ReputationRep:
    Save it. There's no point in spending it, then it will be like you never had it.
    There's also no point in using it to pay for uni IMO, there's a student loan system for a reason.

I would save the money for a house deposit, that's what I've done. I've put mine in some kind of saving thing that locks it in for about 4 years but I get higher interest. Obviously you should do some proper research!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tefhel)
    Save it. There's no point in spending it, then it will be like you never had it.
    Apart from you have the things you bought.

Otherwise its just a number with a £ sign in front of it.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like a good option thanks
    No problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Apart from you have the things you bought.

Otherwise its just a number with a £ sign in front of it.
    Not if you spend it on the holiday like he was thinking. Or spend it on food, or utilities for his family. Or spend it paying off a mortgage, or a student loan. There are many intangible/temporary things you can spend money on...

ReputationRep:
    I did actually find out i can afford a brand new aston Martin!
    http://tinyurl.com/3r9kgtq

But to be honest, 4k a year insurance, I probably wouldn't use a car at uni, seems pointless, so I won't be getting a car, I'll stay with public transport
    That Aston Martin is just a Toyota IQ with Aston Martin's badge on it. Looks cool but if you actually want a small car like that, get the £10k Toyota and save a load of money!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    You must be a real loser if you're only getting 0.5% on your savings.

I'm getting 3.2% and I'm pretty sure itd be easy to get higher than that.
    Where? Every bank I've been to offers around the base rate. The highest account I've seen is with Natwest at 0.75% which is the 30 day bonus account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Scotsman)
    Where? Every bank I've been to offers around the base rate. The highest account I've seen is with Natwest at 0.75% which is the 30 day bonus account.
    I'm guessing he must be referring to an ISA account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EssexDan86)
    I'm guessing he must be referring to an ISA account.
    Ah ok. We don't have ISAs where I live! (channel islands)

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok. We don't have ISAs where I live! (channel islands)
    Ah fair enough... I'm sure living in a tax haven with good weather more than makes up for it!

ReputationRep:
    Thats the Halifax ISA.

You can't be looking hard though, Nat West has an instant access non ISA account at 1%...

http://www.natwest.com/personal/savi...e-savings.ashx

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.