Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    With no parental help.

ReputationRep:
    Ahem, a job is needed, maybe before you go, probably whilst you're there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FamousFourTops)
    Hi

I know this question must have been asked SO many times, but I'm pretty worried about this and would appreciate some help.
    Basically my parents earn just over the cut off point where students receive a larger maintenance loan, meaning I will only receive £3400 p/a. My parents combined full-time salary is only just above the cut off point, and I have four siblings. My parents COULD afford to loan me some money, but this will be very difficult for them, and obviously I'd rather not borrow from them.
    As far as I can tell, standard accommodation is 3700, meaning my loan won't even cover that...I would defer and work, but with the rise in tuition fees, this really isn't an option. I've heard that studying at Oxford doesn't really leave time for a job (especially if you want to have a social life ). Is this true? Even with a job, I just don't see how I could possibly support myself. I'm certain I can't be the only one in this situation, and I was wondering how others have managed to overcome it.
    Thanks very much
    im in the same position as you my parents earn just over the cut of point. i have a job now and every pay day i put a certain amount away. i also plan to get a job while there otherwise i am not going to survive. i think if you get a job while there and do some serious budgeting you will be fine

ReputationRep:
    you need to try and get a job over the summer, i'm in a similar position though i will be getting some money off of my grandparents, I am going to get a summer job and try and work at uni, most peoples parents give them an allowance, my cousin is currently at sussex at get's £200 a month to live on from his parents which he manages

ReputationRep:
    How much money will your parents save in food and heating by you being away? You should ask them for that as a minimum. Incidentally, what is the cut-off for the larger loan? Also be aware that you will probably receive an Oxford Opportunity Bursary.

You're not allowed to and would find it difficult to work during term time, but vacation work is also an option.

ReputationRep:
    Ask for something from your parents, at least enough to get you by without starving, then you can cover the rest with a job and perhaps pay it back over time with anything you've saved? If they refuse, you'll have to get a job now and save as much as you possibly can, but I'd imagine they'll take at least some pity on you. I know it's not great having to borrow but when it comes to actually going to university you don't want to find that you can't just because of money, especially if you're going to Oxford of all places. You're not really fully independent at uni so taking from your parents isn't a huge crime.

ReputationRep:
    It is true that Oxford doesn't leave you with time for a job, however...

Oxford colleges have plenty of funds available for students in financial hardship. Once you get there you'll be able to fill out forms and, providing you can prove you don't have any money, this won't be a problem.

(Original post by lazy smurf)
    Ahem, a job is needed, maybe before you go, probably whilst you're there.
    A job during term just isn't an option; at our college I think it's grounds for being asked to leave, in fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suuuuuuseh)
    A job during term just isn't an option; at our college I think it's grounds for being asked to leave, in fact.
    Well you are in the minority. For most degree's its possible and a lot of the time most students cant survive with out working part time too.

What are you studying?

Edit: Oxford thread, different rules!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazy smurf)
    Well you are in the minority. For most degree's its possible and a lot of the time most students cant survive with out working part time too.
    You're not at Oxford, are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    You're not at Oxford, are you?
    I've just re-read the thread, didn't realise it only applied to Oxford, my bad!

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I know this question must have been asked SO many times, but I'm pretty worried about this and would appreciate some help.
    Basically my parents earn just over the cut off point where students receive a larger maintenance loan, meaning I will only receive £3400 p/a. My parents combined full-time salary is only just above the cut off point, and I have four siblings. My parents COULD afford to loan me some money, but this will be very difficult for them, and obviously I'd rather not borrow from them.
    As far as I can tell, standard accommodation is 3700, meaning my loan won't even cover that...I would defer and work, but with the rise in tuition fees, this really isn't an option. I've heard that studying at Oxford doesn't really leave time for a job (especially if you want to have a social life ). Is this true? Even with a job, I just don't see how I could possibly support myself. I'm certain I can't be the only one in this situation, and I was wondering how others have managed to overcome it.
    Thanks very much

Edit: I forgot to mention that I do have a job now, and have had a job for a while. I save a little from it every week, however it is not much, as I do not receive any money from my parents. (I'm not complaining, as I like being self-sufficient) By September I hope to have saved around 500 but I know that is not nearly enough.
    If you need money to live on your college should give it to you. The university itself might also be able to help. Do you already have an offer? Try looking around your college website for stuff and try emailing them for information.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hi

Thanks very much

Edit: I forgot to mention that I do have a job now, and have had a job for a while. I save a little from it every week, however it is not much, as I do not receive any money from my parents. (I'm not complaining, as I like being self-sufficient) By September I hope to have saved around 500 but I know that is not nearly enough.
    The entire logic of the government's funding is based on parents giving their kids at least some help. If your parents are earning above the threshold then they can afford to help you out if they had to. If you really get into problems the college should help out.

I understand the desire for independence. As someone else stated, i don't think it should even register as 'depending' on your parents if they just give you the money they are saving by you being away.

In addition to that, i am very strongly of the opinion that there is little point in being loaded as a 60 year old when all you can spend it on is caribbean cruises. Uni is by far the best chance you will have in your entire life to do memorable things, to have a good time. To have that limited by money concerns because your parents wanted to buy a new car or something would be tragic. That is just my opinion though of course - its your parents opinion that matters. My point is, work as hard as you can now to save up and don't be shy about asking them for a little help - you can always pay your parents back later on in life!

Also, expensive accommodation!

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Thanks very much

The household income required to not be eligible for any means-tested loan is given at http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_194536.pdf - see the table at the bottom of p19. According to that, the minimum residual household income (after deducting non-taxable items such as pension payments and £1130 for every dependent sibling) for you to receive no means-tested loan is £57,708. With 4 siblings and presumably some pension contributions, the household gross income must be comfortably above £60,000. In such circumstances the government expects the household to contribute £1386 to your maintenance. Your circumstances may be more exceptional than you've outlined but I think you have a strong case for approaching your parents and asking if they really can't spare the 2.4% of the residual household income that this calculation suggests they should contribute. You should enquire with your College about bursaries but it may be that these are targeted at households with less money coming in than yours. You have nothing to lose by making both enquiries.

The 8-week intensive terms at Oxford mean that term-time work isn't really an option but the time you're available for vacation work is that much longer so you may be able to more than make up for that. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    The number of times I've heard people who say they are definitely going to get a job when they get to Oxford, even though it's not really allowed, and then discover that it really isn't possible at all...

Try to work as much as you can over the summer. The summer before my first year I worked 30-35 hours a week in a supermarket on minimum wage, and spent basically nothing, thereby saving up £2000 for my first year. This meant that I didn't have to work over Christmas or Easter, even though I had the option to. Had I worked during those vacations, which I really should have, I'd have had loads of money spare. My parents did give me money, but I ended my first year without having spent any of it, so it is possible to be self-sufficient.

ReputationRep:
    Get a job over summer. I wish I could, but I'm having an operation with a lengthy recovery so I can't a job When I get to Oxford I'll try to find a part-time job, but I'll think I'll find myself deferring to others' experiences and not be able to find the time.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by JAR12)
    When I get to Oxford I'll try to find a part-time job, but I'll think I'll find myself deferring to others' experiences and not be able to find the time.
    The uni really doesn't want you working in term time. At Merton at least, they say they'd rather give you the money than you actually spending hours on a job.

Having said that, there are sometimes opportunities to work for the college, namely as bar staff a couple of nights per week. I'd imagine this is dependent on your academics though, and generally i think not for first years.

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.