Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, let me introduce myself, I'm Steven and the current President of GMS Hall (although unofficially I, along with the university, help run events for the whole Student Village).

Who's thinking about staying or been confirmed a place in the Oadby Student Village for the 2011/2012 academic year?

Basically well done on getting into Leicester, you've got a fun-filled few years ahead of you, with most of the fun times likely happening in the student village! If you have any questions about starting university then feel free to message me, otherwise you can check out current happenings in GMS Hall at http://www.gmshall.co.nr/ or meet your neighbours before you start university by joining the Official Oadby Student Village Facebook group at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=94342855610

If I'm still around in September then I look forward to welcoming you all on your first day, otherwise I'm sure the new president will be there to help you out! Also the Facebook group will be the one that next year's committee will use to communicate so make sure to join in order to stay up to date with the latest goings on x

ReputationRep:
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteJayy)
    Hey, let me introduce myself, I'm Steven and the current President of GMS Hall (although unofficially I, along with the university, help run events for the whole Student Village).

Who's thinking about staying or been confirmed a place in the Oadby Student Village for the 2011/2012 academic year?

Basically well done on getting into Leicester, you've got a fun-filled few years ahead of you, with most of the fun times likely happening in the student village! If you have any questions about starting university then feel free to message me, otherwise you can check out current happenings in GMS Hall at http://www.gmshall.co.nr/ or meet your neighbours before you start university by joining the Official Oadby Student Village Facebook group at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=94342855610

If I'm still around in September then I look forward to welcoming you all on your first day, otherwise I'm sure the new president will be there to help you out! Also the Facebook group will be the one that next year's committee will use to communicate so make sure to join in order to stay up to date with the latest goings on x
    Hi, I'm thinking of getting self-catered at Leicester. Would this be a good idea as I will be a first year student. Would this ruin the experience?

ReputationRep:
    I've found your experience mainly depends on who you live with and not about whether you're catered and self-catered, it's pretty much down to luck. The advantage catered has is that you will probably meet a lot more people, but someone who is self-catered and sociable will meet just as many people, and also have the bonus of not having to move out over vacation periods.

ReputationRep:
    Also with self-catered, you can cook when you want. Catered have the set meal times which unless you have a very lucky timetable (including any other activities you do besides lectures/seminars etc.) you probably won't make them all.

Personally I don't feel I've missed out as such due to being self-catered, in fact my situation I actually prefer, there is only the 5 of us in the house and only once/twice has food been an issue and even then it was due to one of my house mates friends cooking and using the wrong food.

I would hate to have to go back to the village early just to get food and with sports on, it's nice to know you have a full kitchen to work with after them to cook yourself.

ReputationRep:
    thanks man!

i'm going UoL later this year and hopefully I can get a place at JoFo halls but I know how much in demand they are so i'm not getting my hopes up...

ReputationRep:
    It's more about the people you live with tbh, you'll have a great time wherever you stay!

btw is there any events in particular that you lot would like to see take place during Freshers' Fortnight in the Oadby Student Village?

ReputationRep:
    It's more about the people you live with tbh, you'll have a great time wherever you stay!

btw is there any events in particular that you lot would like to see take place during Freshers' Fortnight in the Oadby Student Village?
    any with alcohol would be great

:P

but in all seriousness i'm not really sure...and i'm not sure how freshers week even works anyway so I dunno what I can suggest really...maybe something that will just get us to know as many different people in the least awkward way possible?

sorry I cant be much help haha...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBlackMonster)
    any with alcohol would be great

:P

but in all seriousness i'm not really sure...and i'm not sure how freshers week even works anyway so I dunno what I can suggest really...maybe something that will just get us to know as many different people in the least awkward way possible?

sorry I cant be much help haha...
    The opening night was pretty good for this, this year. They went around giving people a part of a playing card and said if people found the 3 other parts of the card (given to other people) then that group would go and get a bottle of wine to share.

It got my housemates mingling.

ReputationRep:
    We should make a pokemon movie marathon...Now in all seriousness...we really should.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Astrum)
    We should make a pokemon movie marathon...Now in all seriousness...we really should.
    not the movies, but the episodes, from the beginning

that would be so badass, especially the one with Ash releasing his Butterfree and showing his Charizard...and then the Squirtle Squad

ReputationRep:

Something fancy dress at some point (unless that's on in general at the union!)

ReputationRep:
    The squirtle squad were badass yeah ;P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grape:))
    Something fancy dress at some point (unless that's on in general at the union!)
    There used to be a fancy dress event in the bar in Oadby, in GMS everyone would dress as something beginning with G, M or S. Although last year this was hijacked by the Union and one never got organised in halls!

ReputationRep:
    hey! I've been accepted at Leicester for next year, and I'm getting a bit stressed over accommodation. Due to funding issues, I think it might be better to go for catered, but I can find barely any info on it at all. Can anyone pleeeease give me any insight into the timetable, restrictions, anything at all about catered accommodation, it would be a massive help C: thanks!!!

ps: sorry if I've done something wrong - first post ever lol ;D ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gilliano)
    hey! I've been accepted at Leicester for next year, and I'm getting a bit stressed over accommodation. Due to funding issues, I think it might be better to go for catered, but I can find barely any info on it at all. Can anyone pleeeease give me any insight into the timetable, restrictions, anything at all about catered accommodation, it would be a massive help C: thanks!!!

ps: sorry if I've done something wrong - first post ever lol ;D ?
    You can easily do you weekly shop for around £20 a week, or is that too expensive?

ReputationRep:
    There used to be a fancy dress event in the bar in Oadby, in GMS everyone would dress as something beginning with G, M or S. Although last year this was hijacked by the Union and one never got organised in halls!
    I was sad about that, it was the one I could have done by dressing up in my various sports outfits (mixing and matching) and going as a sportsman.

ReputationRep:
    Such a shame

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mudya)
    You can easily do you weekly shop for around £20 a week, or is that too expensive?
    hey, no - that sounds pretty good - im just dead worried about running out of money halfway through the year. i was thinking maybe catered would be easier in terms of i wouldnt have to worry about running out of cash... idk, i really have no idea what to do :'( lol thanks though C:

ReputationRep:
    Steeeeeeeeeeve

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 21, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.