The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm doing it too. This is my third time doing it, on a mid B going for a high A.
Reply 2
Original post by pk550
I'm doing it too. This is my third time doing it, on a mid B going for a high A.

yh...this is my second re-sit too....I got higher B in unit 1....C in unit 2 and 3......Hoping to get a B in unit 2 and 4 this summer :smile:
Reply 3
I heard that Strict liability and Remoteness of damage came up in Jan 2011 so i assume that it is highly unlikely that it will come again in may 2011....just saying not sure thou.....!!

Wishing everyone all the best :smile:
I first got a E, in Unit 2, then got a E again second time, then third time lucky an A! Just never give up on it and you'll do fine.

Do every past paper and rewrite them out so It sticks with you
Reply 5
Anyone know what came up in January 2011 for law unit 2?
Reply 6
Original post by Jo613
Anyone know what came up in January 2011 for law unit 2?

for criminal law, it was omissions, strict liability, assualt, battery/s.47, explanation of causation - factual, legal and intervening acts like the victim's own act (williams). then the procedure that would lead to a summary offence and then aims of sentences and how those sentences could relate to a charge of battery/s.47 - hope that helps.
Reply 7
Original post by pk550
for criminal law, it was omissions, strict liability, assualt, battery/s.47, explanation of causation - factual, legal and intervening acts like the victim's own act (williams). then the procedure that would lead to a summary offence and then aims of sentences and how those sentences could relate to a charge of battery/s.47 - hope that helps.

Did actus reus and mens rea not came up?????

Also what came up in tort section if you can remeber???

Thnxx :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Pluto-invader
Did actus reus and mens rea not came up?????

Also what came up in tort section if you can remeber???

Thnxx :smile:

actus reus=omissions and mens rea=strict liability.

for tort it was; explain the term 'duty of care'

breach of duty - outline the meaning of the term 'reasonable man' and explain one of the risk factors

damage - explain 'remoteness of damage'

then it referred to the scenario and asked whether there was a breach of duty

the subsequent question was discussion of whether harm was too remote

outline of the three-track system

finally, 'explain how the court would calculate an award of damages to tom'.

you're welcome :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by pk550
actus reus=omissions and mens rea=strict liability.

for tort it was; explain the term 'duty of care'

breach of duty - outline the meaning of the term 'reasonable man' and explain one of the risk factors

damage - explain 'remoteness of damage'

then it referred to the scenario and asked whether there was a breach of duty

the subsequent question was discussion of whether harm was too remote

outline of the three-track system

finally, 'explain how the court would calculate an award of damages to tom'.

you're welcome :smile:

OMG thank you so much.....really appreciated :biggrin:
PLEASE does anyone know how to apply tort? i'm so confused - we haven't been taught anything and I've got no model answers =/

Also, how do you go about outlining damages in tort and the outline to a procedure in civil courts?

I'm really trying not to panic now =/

Reply 11
Original post by pk550

Original post by pk550

Thankyou so much this has really helped :smile:
Here are my sample answers to some of the questions. Hope they help.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'm doing my exam on the 25th May. Good Luck everyone! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by bol4ever567
PLEASE does anyone know how to apply tort? i'm so confused - we haven't been taught anything and I've got no model answers =/

Also, how do you go about outlining damages in tort and the outline to a procedure in civil courts?

I'm really trying not to panic now =/

Hey,
under tort its basically about the duty of care, breach of duty and damage

duty of care- the duty to take care of others (use cases like doughnue v stevenson and the caparo v dickman test)

then breach of duty(the failure to meet the standard of care required) there is a general criterea to which there is 5 main factors:
-is there any special characteristics of the defendant?(case nettleship v weston)
-is there any special characteristics of the claimant?(case paris v stepney borough council)
-whats the size of the risk(case bolton v stone)
-have all precautions been taken?(case latimer v AEC)
-is there any benefits of taking the risk?(case Watt v hertfordshire county council)
in the exam i would only talk about two of these though.

damage is the resulting loss to a claimant from a breach of duty of care
there are two parts to damage causation and remoteness
causation infact is determined by the "but for" test(use the case Barnett v chelsea and kensington hospital management committee)
remoteness of damage is where the defendant is only liable for the forseeable damage (use the case The wagond mound)
you could also talk about the remoteness of damage where aslong as the kind of damage is forseeable it does not matter how unusual the consequences are

i hope this has been helpful and not too confusing if you want anymore information or if you want me to explain anything i have said just ask :smile:
Reply 14
Good Luck everyone doing the exam tomorrow! i'm worried over timings :'( i ALWAYS run out of time, in unit 1 i got 74 ums points, so aiming for 86ums+ to get an A - going for around 70 marks to be on the safe side. SCARED :/
Reply 15
Original post by Executioner
Here are my sample answers to some of the questions. Hope they help.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'm doing my exam on the 25th May. Good Luck everyone! :smile:

I hope you see this before the exam. Just wanted to say, factually your answers are good but I can't see where you have applied the info to the scenario. In order to get decent marks you MUST apply the information above to the problem. Otherwise, all you are doing is just regurgitating facts.

Hope this helps
Original post by MessyLJH

Original post by MessyLJH
I hope you see this before the exam. Just wanted to say, factually your answers are good but I can't see where you have applied the info to the scenario. In order to get decent marks you MUST apply the information above to the problem. Otherwise, all you are doing is just regurgitating facts.

Hope this helps

Oh okay, thanks for the advice. Now i'll try to refer back to the scenario. Thank you! :biggrin:
Hi everyone, just done the paper. Did everyone put Assault Occasioning ABH for section one and also did you say that transferred malice could be applied?

Anyway, how did you find the paper everyone?
Reply 18
Original post by pinda.college
Hi everyone, just done the paper. Did everyone put Assault Occasioning ABH for section one and also did you say that transferred malice could be applied?

Anyway, how did you find the paper everyone?

Yes I did.

Surprisingly, found tort better than criminal. Yourself?
Reply 19
OMG paper was so easy but very very long....needed 5 more minutes as i left 1 (5 mark) question :angry:

They should increase the timing of the paper as it very hard to do 2 scenarios which contain 7-8 questions each :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

I put ABH under section 47 OAPA 1861...what did you guyz wrote???

Wishing everyone all the best for the rest of the exams and results off-course...

Thanks for helping and running this thread people....really appreciated :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending