Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi Nicki,

I will be 25 when I start the course in September. When you did educational studies, what was it that you liked best about the University? I'm guessing you must have been happy to apply for Nursing at Hull aswell.. Have you spoke to any nursing students for their opinions on the course structure and the tutors?

Thanks

Jo x

ReputationRep:
    Hi not sure if i can post on this page, but hey, im a second year nursing student , last semester, at Hull Uni, I have had a fantastic 2 years and hull uni has really good facilities and the support you receive is excellent. If anyone has any questions they would like to ask me, about what to expect, what the course is like etc I will be only to willing to reply.

regards
    Lisa xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lisa123)
    Hi not sure if i can post on this page, but hey, im a second year nursing student , last semester, at Hull Uni, I have had a fantastic 2 years and hull uni has really good facilities and the support you receive is excellent. If anyone has any questions they would like to ask me, about what to expect, what the course is like etc I will be only to willing to reply.

regards
    Lisa xx
    Are there any books you would reccommend to read over the summer? Just to get a basic background of what we need to know, havent done maths in a very long time so am a bit nervous about it

ReputationRep:

regards
    Lisa xx
    I am really glad you have posted in this thread, as I have a few questions that you may be able to help me with :-) First of all, the only care experience I have gained is through voluntary work and I was wondering during the first placement what is expected of the student? Is it something that you are well prepared for from the university practice/ theory side of things? What modules/ subjects are covered in the first year? And also what practical work is learnt in the first year? What days / times is the normal week at university? Do get any time off for study leave? And finally what do u enjoy most about the course? Sorry for all the questions, but I like to feel prepared about what will be expected of me... Thanks :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenwren)
    Hiya,

Donzigo, I live south side of the bridge so car share could be an option if i get in =)

x x
    So Jenwren - you got in!! Well done

I live in Crowle just off the side of the M180 so if my route is going past yours or vica verca and anyone else ....? Then car sharing looks good Anything to share a little pennies.

ReputationRep:

regards
    Lisa xx
    I too would love to know the times you're expected to be in college throughout the week and then how many shifts etc on placement...? I'm gonna have fun fitting it all in round kids and their school I'd also like to know about extra reading as I've heard the book list doesn't come out until August and I was hoping I'd be able to buy them gradually instead of all at once

ReputationRep:
    ok, well lumberjack Lou: dont worry about Maths, when you start uni, access the study skills service which is available in the library, the chap there got me through the maths test first time, and im pretty lousy at the subject myself, its basic stuff really, drug calculations and the 24 hour clock, (honestly), sort of, if Mrs Blogs has an infusion started at 13:30 and it needs to continue for 55 minutes what time do you take it down, honestly dont fret about it with support from study skills (which i would highly recommend) you will walk into the test confident. Jo Jo: your first placement is for four weeks, you basically get what you want out of it, expectations are not placed to highly on you so I wouldnt worry about it, (I did my first injection on my first placement, scared doesnt even come close to how i felt, lol, but i did it), the modules in the first year, now im doing the Advanced Diploma, and it is all Degree from September, so im assuming you will follow the same modules as me, your first year from what i remember covers foundations for practice, clinical skills communication etc, intro to nursing and midwifery, this covers amongst other things the maths test, in your 3rd semester is your anatomy and pysiology exam, the hours spent at uni are varied, you normally have a Wednesday off during Theory time, so it can be anyting from 3 to 4 days in uni, study time is included in this as well. what do i enjoy most, placements, the opportunities are out there, take everything offered to you, however mundane, and learn from them, the cohort i am in is a good group of people and the support you get from other students is excellent. Donzigoes: book list , when you have your first week induction, you may be told about the book pack you can buy, I bought it and to be honest i only ever used the Martinin book (for A and P), look around and be choosy about what you buy, what suits you may not suit some one else. The Martinin book is a good buy, all the diagrams used in the exam come out of this book. As for reading before hand, it depends what you want to know, me personally, I would just enjoy the time you have before you start. your first placement starts around November time, initially 4 weeks and then the following two are for 6 weeks, you normally spend 2 weeks on placement, back to uni for four weeks and then placement for a following four weeks, as i said before, thats assuming they follow the same modules that I have covered. Hope this info helps. Honestly dont worry about a thing, it all comes together, just enjoy your first year, because it goes so quickly.

all the best
    Lisa xxxxx

ReputationRep:
    ok, well lumberjack Lou: dont worry about Maths, when you start uni, access the study skills service which is available in the library, the chap there got me through the maths test first time, and im pretty lousy at the subject myself, its basic stuff really, drug calculations and the 24 hour clock, (honestly), sort of, if Mrs Blogs has an infusion started at 13:30 and it needs to continue for 55 minutes what time do you take it down, honestly dont fret about it with support from study skills (which i would highly recommend) you will walk into the test confident. Jo Jo: your first placement is for four weeks, you basically get what you want out of it, expectations are not placed to highly on you so I wouldnt worry about it, (I did my first injection on my first placement, scared doesnt even come close to how i felt, lol, but i did it), the modules in the first year, now im doing the Advanced Diploma, and it is all Degree from September, so im assuming you will follow the same modules as me, your first year from what i remember covers foundations for practice, clinical skills communication etc, intro to nursing and midwifery, this covers amongst other things the maths test, in your 3rd semester is your anatomy and pysiology exam, the hours spent at uni are varied, you normally have a Wednesday off during Theory time, so it can be anyting from 3 to 4 days in uni, study time is included in this as well. what do i enjoy most, placements, the opportunities are out there, take everything offered to you, however mundane, and learn from them, the cohort i am in is a good group of people and the support you get from other students is excellent. Donzigoes: book list , when you have your first week induction, you may be told about the book pack you can buy, I bought it and to be honest i only ever used the Martinin book (for A and P), look around and be choosy about what you buy, what suits you may not suit some one else. The Martinin book is a good buy, all the diagrams used in the exam come out of this book. As for reading before hand, it depends what you want to know, me personally, I would just enjoy the time you have before you start. your first placement starts around November time, initially 4 weeks and then the following two are for 6 weeks, you normally spend 2 weeks on placement, back to uni for four weeks and then placement for a following four weeks, as i said before, thats assuming they follow the same modules that I have covered. Hope this info helps. Honestly dont worry about a thing, it all comes together, just enjoy your first year, because it goes so quickly.

all the best
    Lisa xxxxx
    Thanks for taking the time to answer Lisa - will look into the A&P book and other than that I will do as you say and try to enjoy the summer xx

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Lisa, I'm really excited but nervous at the same time :-) xx

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, does anyone know what the earliest time we would be starting usually in the mornings in September as i need to get my childcare sorted.

ReputationRep:
    Hi kelly, when I went for interview I think they told us that when we are in uni we start at either 9.15 or 9.30am but can't remember which 1 they said x

ReputationRep:
    It will be 9:15 start x

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I can finally sort my childminder Has anyone been for there occupational health check yet! and if so what happens?

ReputationRep:
    No not yet, I think they organise it for the week before if you live further away. Not quite sure what happens, think it may be questions on our medical history and to have our vaccinations as a friend of mine is going to a different uni and they sent her a questionnaire regarding her medical history and she has the date for her vaccinations x

ReputationRep:
    I have had my questionnaire through and it asks questions about your medical history and then there is a section you have to get your GP practice to fill out about all your vaccinations. I sent this back and phoned for an appointment and they have fitted it in around me (very friendly and helpful with fitting it in around my job) and mine is July 13th.
    I'm a bit worried though as my doctor has no record of me ever having my BCG or Rubella injections I know for a fact I've had them though. We moved around a lot when I was a kid with my Dad's job so that might be why.....Last thing I need is to have to have them again!!! It also has a sheet advising about Hep B injection that you'll need - not sure if I will need another one though as have had one in past for an exotic holiday.........
    Other than that it doesn't tell you anything else - will let you know

ReputationRep:
    I've already had mine at Hull, I had it around 2 months ago. The Nurse was absolutely lovely and my medical history was not an issue. She just spoke about the things I had put down, was I looking forward to starting the course, etc. I also have an mmr jab missing off of my records (which we know I have had done), and this wasn't a problem, they asked that I have it done again and send proof. Very friendly, lasted around 15 minutes Nothing at all to worry about. xo

ReputationRep:
    oh no - that sounds like i'll have to have them done again then.....although I do have the BCG scar so they might let me off on that one...? Grrr

ReputationRep:
    Hi Donzigoes i too have my medical on the 13th July

ReputationRep:
    Mine's at 11.30am......If you're anywhere near to that and you fancy meeting up PM me xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donzigoes)
    I have had my questionnaire through and it asks questions about your medical history and then there is a section you have to get your GP practice to fill out about all your vaccinations. I sent this back and phoned for an appointment and they have fitted it in around me (very friendly and helpful with fitting it in around my job) and mine is July 13th.
    I'm a bit worried though as my doctor has no record of me ever having my BCG or Rubella injections I know for a fact I've had them though. We moved around a lot when I was a kid with my Dad's job so that might be why.....Last thing I need is to have to have them again!!! It also has a sheet advising about Hep B injection that you'll need - not sure if I will need another one though as have had one in past for an exotic holiday.........
    Other than that it doesn't tell you anything else - will let you know
    I had mine today, my GP also had no record of my immunisations, this was not a problem, she asked to see my arm which still had the mark from one (cannot recall which one) and told me it was best to get my MMR done via my GP and send them the proof, which I have now organised. The nurse was lovely just chatted about what I wrote on my form,and told me we have hepatitis B once we are enrolled just before placement in Jan..

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 20, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.