Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chewwy)
    Well ok then (though I am loath to diverge into arguments on TSR)...

1) I work for a big four firm, and my team aims to recruit exclusively from oxbridge
    2) I AM involved in the HR process.
    3) Regardless of any evidence I may have, if you think not a single partner making a recruitment decision sees a difference between a UEL graduate (say) and Cambridge one, then you must have a rather strange view of partners
    Wow! I go to a top 20 uni and managed to get into a big four firm for a grad scheme! I guess i must be one of the very lucky ones. I didn't realise they aimed exclusively for big four at all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dinotopiaisawful)
    Wow! I go to a top 20 uni and managed to get into a big four firm for a grad scheme! I guess i must be one of the very lucky ones. I didn't realise they aimed exclusively for big four at all!
    Not one person from my regional tax intake went to Oxbridge. Sorry to burst the bubble.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kemik)
    Not one person from my regional tax intake went to Oxbridge. Sorry to burst the bubble.
    Agreed.

No matter how many times Kemik & I and others say that University is not everything, there are individuals that like to disagree.

Both Kemik & I are involved with part of the grad recruitment process with our firm and I have spoken with many, many students on their assessment centre days. On the whole, yes more do come from the top universities, but this is because a greater proportion of students apply from these universities as the big four target these more specifically. But we have a wide variety of backgrounds and universities across the firm.

My university is ranked only 95 on the league tables (didn't even have Uni status until 2008). Means next to nothing.

Do not think that you will be at a disadvantage if you do not go to Oxbridge, you wont. If you have the qualities and competencies that the big four want, it will make no difference at all. Likewise, it will not help you get a job just because you went to Oxbridge if you don't have these qualities!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steffy)
    Agreed.

No matter how many times Kemik & I and others say that University is not everything, there are individuals that like to disagree.

Both Kemik & I are involved with part of the grad recruitment process with our firm and I have spoken with many, many students on their assessment centre days. On the whole, yes more do come from the top universities, but this is because a greater proportion of students apply from these universities as the big four target these more specifically. But we have a wide variety of backgrounds and universities across the firm.

My university is ranked only 95 on the league tables (didn't even have Uni status until 2008). Means next to nothing.

Do not think that you will be at a disadvantage if you do not go to Oxbridge, you wont. If you have the qualities and competencies that the big four want, it will make no difference at all. Likewise, it will not help you get a job just because you went to Oxbridge if you don't have these qualities!
    Yeah, i was surprised by what the other poster said. Thanks. I just wondered, how do you get involved in graduate recruitment? I really want to get involved in that when i start in September. What sort of things do you do? Thanks for your time.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, graduates from Oxbridge is not the only graduates that they are willing to recruit. However, you can probably say that when two equal candidates in terms of all the qualities and competencies are paired up then certainly the Oxbridge candidate will get the job over the other candidate who went to a less prestige uni...

This was probably the point the other poster was trying to get to. So I think uni has SOMETHING to do with it however how much it impacts the application is another story depending on the recruitment team.

Another interesting point to discuss is the likeliness of candidates having all the qualities and competencies that the Big Four are looking for. Surely in my opinion if you apply to the Big Four then you will think you got something that other candidates don’t have to show that you stand out.

Also how hard can meeting the qualities and competencies be? Being a postgraduate, what can they have expected you to have done except show teamwork, leadership, problem solving, motivation, why you want to be blah blah blah etc. So with this in mind the recruitment team may put highly enthusiasm on your A-levels and what you got in Uni and where you went to Uni as well since any well prepared candidate can show the skills most Big Four needs....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by novadragon849)
    To be fair, graduates from Oxbridge is not the only graduates that they are willing to recruit. However, you can probably say that when two equal candidates in terms of all the qualities and competencies are paired up then certainly the Oxbridge candidate will get the job over the other candidate who went to a less prestige uni...

This was probably the point the other poster was trying to get to. So I think uni has SOMETHING to do with it however how much it impacts the application is another story depending on the recruitment team.

Another interesting point to discuss is the likeliness of candidates having all the qualities and competencies that the Big Four are looking for. Surely in my opinion if you apply to the Big Four then you will think you got something that other candidates don’t have to show that you stand out.

Also how hard can meeting the qualities and competencies be? Being a postgraduate, what can they have expected you to have done except show teamwork, leadership, problem solving, motivation, why you want to be blah blah blah etc. So with this in mind the recruitment team may put highly enthusiasm on your A-levels and what you got in Uni and where you went to Uni as well since any well prepared candidate can show the skills most Big Four needs....
    If the only examples of meeting the competencies you have are doing studies at University, you're going to struggle to get decent, varied examples for each competency. Being part of the sports teams, having a part time job or something that is outside of the core education will vastly help you answer the questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnny Luk)
    I am sorry to hear that, which line did you apply for?
    I had applied for audit. My plan now is to try and find a local firm to either get a year of work experience with once I've graduated and reapply in 6 months, or, if I am enjoying what I do there try and convince them to put me through the ACA themselves.

As so many people leave the Big 4 once they have qualified I imagine there will still be opportunities for me to move that way in the future.

In terms of competencies that have also been mentioned, it's definitely best to use a range of experiences. Help run a university society or sports team and organise events, have a part time job and gain responsibility in that, if you can only give examples from University you will seem one dimensional. Remember you can always exaggerate your role as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narcissist)
    I had applied for audit. My plan now is to try and find a local firm to either get a year of work experience with once I've graduated and reapply in 6 months, or, if I am enjoying what I do there try and convince them to put me through the ACA themselves.

As so many people leave the Big 4 once they have qualified I imagine there will still be opportunities for me to move that way in the future.

In terms of competencies that have also been mentioned, it's definitely best to use a range of experiences. Help run a university society or sports team and organise events, have a part time job and gain responsibility in that, if you can only give examples from University you will seem one dimensional. Remember you can always exaggerate your role as well.

but what if you are not involved at uni at all? All the things I do don't take place at uni. Does that actually matter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itzme)
    but what if you are not involved at uni at all? All the things I do don't take place at uni. Does that actually matter?
    That doesn't really matter as long as you can show you diversity.

For example, some of the examples I used in my interview to answer competency questions related to things like planning my wedding, running a youth group, volunteer work, working with childrens groups, Accounting work experience. Very few were Uni related really.

However, one of my uni examples was young enterprise, and this always went down very well in my AC/interviews!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steffy)
    That doesn't really matter as long as you can show you diversity.

For example, some of the examples I used in my interview to answer competency questions related to things like planning my wedding, running a youth group, volunteer work, working with childrens groups, Accounting work experience. Very few were Uni related really.

However, one of my uni examples was young enterprise, and this always went down very well in my AC/interviews!
    thank you for your reply.

Do you think it is worth applying for one of those voluntary positions in accountancy that are regularly advertised on gumtree? The only problem is money and I am not sure I would like to do a full-time voluntary role for several months. But, this is a good experience to put on my application form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itzme)
    hi guys,
    I spent sooooo much time on two applications because I really wanted the position, but within 24 hours, I got an automated email saying I do not have the strenghs they are looking for! I spent like 1 hour and a half, 2 hours on Ernst and Young, thinking carefully about the 3 questions about skills, editing my cv before uploading it, ..... But I did not even make past this stage! I feel so stupid and inadequate for this field and a quick negative reply makes it worse.

Anyone been in the same situation? I am feeling so awful right now! No one I know has been rejected so quickly!
    are u kidding? u got rejected by ernst and young? big deal, they're a big 4 firm and there were prbably abut 2-3 hundred people applying per vacancy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newts2k)
    are u kidding? u got rejected by ernst and young? big deal, they're a big 4 firm and there were prbably abut 2-3 hundred people applying per vacancy.
    Wow, is that true? I thought big four were relatively easy to get into because of them offering around 1000 graduate schemes per year. I could be wrong though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newts2k)
    Don't pull numbers out of nowhere. IB doesn't even have that level of competition.

Also is it true that a lot of people get grad offers from their summer internship?

While Running a sports club or being part of a club comitiee is good, i hardly think everyone does this?
    Shouldn't most examples for competancies from say part time jobs, part of a sports team(not captain), work experiance, part of your course at uni, volunteer work and other stuff like the young enterprise example above be enough?
    Eg: I coach kickboxing to children, take part in kickboxing tournaments and have a part time job.
    By the time i apply, i guess i could use some sort of uni example as well, and will most likely have another sport example and (may start a fitness club too). I guess this should be enough.

I thought as long as you fill their competancies and your examples are varied, you stand a good chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insomnia)
    Big WOW!! Face it woman ... Its harsh but the reality is that the big 4 are just far too competitive ... Everyone has what you've put in the application ... You need to find ways of being outstanding ... And if ur not a UCL, Oxbridge or major uni student .. it doesn't help .. Sometimes in life you gotta face reality ... And not let it knock ur confidence .. U need to be more realistic! Don't loose hope as if its in ur fate to be in the big 4 .. you'll get there .. x
    This is utter nonsense. The Big 4 have recruited ex poly graduates. No firm of any sort is exclusive to Oxbridge graduates. Some more so than others, such as magic circle law firms or M/B/B consulting, but no cohort at a major firm is ever 100% Oxbridge.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.