Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My Uni has told me I cannot apply for accommodation unless i put them as 1st choice.
    I have asked teachers and lecturers and they all say they've never heard of something like that, and that it is OUTRAGEOUS. Can I still get accommodation if I put them as 2nd choice?

ReputationRep:
    No, it's standard.

ReputationRep:
    I thought this was pretty standard? :dontknow:.

ReputationRep:
    Most unis don't let you apply for accomodation if they're your insurance. If you end up going there then they put you in whatever rooms they have left (sometimes twin rooms). After a few weeks you'll usually be able to move around to what you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sajith)
    My Uni has told me I cannot apply for accommodation unless i put them as 1st choice.
    I have asked teachers and lecturers and they all say they've never heard of something like that, and that it is OUTRAGEOUS. Can I still get accommodation if I put them as 2nd choice?
    I've never hearrd of something different. When you firm a uni you have every intention of going. No uni wants to be second choice, there are people who would prefer to go there. These are the people who they offer accomodation to.

ReputationRep:
    That's pretty standard practice to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    oh ok thanks lol, makes sense actually

ReputationRep:
    Standard. I didn't apply for any accommodation other than at my firm. Was the ruless.
    But if you ended up going to your insurance or whatever, you just apply for it later. Its not like you don't get it in the end.

ReputationRep:
    No you cant apply for accommodation for your insurance offer this is a well known thing!

ReputationRep:
    Its the norm. Firmers are first priority, and rightly so. If you end up having to go to your insurance uni, you'll have a very short time after exam results are released to apply for accommodation there. It'll be most likely whatever rooms are left.

ReputationRep:
    Some unis will offer accomodation to insurance students, but a lot of unis dont have the space to guarentee for everyone. You may find there are spare rooms after results day due to firmers not meeting their offer or the uni may help you find a house with others in your situation.

ReputationRep:
    Lol. Simpleton.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have to get accommodation if i go to my 1st choice, so couldn't i just put my 1st choice as 2nd choice and put my 2nd choice as 1st so i can apply for accommodation ~?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bakamo)
    No you cant apply for accommodation for your insurance offer this is a well known thing!
    No it's not always the case. Kent for example suggest that all students, firm or insurance, apply for accommodation ASAP.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I think its very dependent on what university is your insurance, mine is the University of Leeds and I was still encouraged to apply for accommodation despite firming Manchester. I can see how not applying could be worrying but even if you do end up there they should be able to offer you a place in halls somewhere

ReputationRep:
    I don't have to get accommodation if i go to my 1st choice, so couldn't i just put my 1st choice as 2nd choice and put my 2nd choice as 1st so i can apply for accommodation ~?
    No, because then if you meet the grades for your second choice (which you would have put as your first), you lose your place at your 'first' choice (even if you met both sets of conditions). It's possible to swap after results day but there's no guarantee that you'll be able to.

ReputationRep:
    Well if you get the grades for your insurance you have to go there.

ReputationRep:
    It's not like you're going to live in a cardboard box if you don't get university accommodation, you know.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the uni. I picked my insurance partly because they normally house most first years: firm and insurance (although insurance get the dregs cos they're processed after results).
    It is a standard thing that many unis do not allow you to apply if you are insurance. I am confused as to why your teachers are unaware of this:confused:

As for the whole first/second choice thing, if you get the grades for your first choice you have to go there, you cannot go to your insurance instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    No it's not always the case. Kent for example suggest that all students, firm or insurance, apply for accommodation ASAP.

Thanks! I never knew this because all the universities i have applied to don't offer accommodation if i put them as my insurance

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.