Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi im new to looking at accountancy, and wondering what the best route into accountancy is? Im currently in year 12 studying my AS's so im interested in what degrees are best as well as what is neccessary post degree.
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Work Experience and a numbers related degree (preferably a BSc.) are the most important plus having a well rounded CV (which is essential for any professional employment)

ReputationRep:
    So taking a history degree wouldn't hinder me at all?

ReputationRep:
    No degree completely hinders ones chances - but like I have said, it would be a safe bet to take a number based degree; maths, science, engineering or finance/accounting. A+F could gives you the best chance as it shows sustained interest and it proves you can handle it (assuming you get a 2.1)

ReputationRep:
    I know this might sound stupid but i for some reason thought accountancy wasn't one of the best to do.

ReputationRep:
    They do like rounded applications and therefore just doing straight accounting might make you look like a narrow candidate. Mixing it with something like Economics shows that you have a sustained interest (very important - all grad schemes look for proof that you really want to do what you are applying for) but that there is more to you than just accounting. It is not vital to do this though - its just one of the better options along with the other degree types mentioned above.

TBH the most important thing is that you obtain a good grade in whatever degree you chose and have relevant work experience.

ReputationRep:
    If you get good A-Level results, you can always apply to places that have schemes for school leavers. Or take the AAT-ACA fast track route and work while gaining these qualifications.
    Obviously this depends on if you want to work in industry or practice.
    I think most firms within practice, have these sort of schemes.

Me personally, I wish I had done this instead of going to uni to be honest.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.