Turn on thread page Beta

I've recently been having less than normal symtoms. Hearing voices, self harming, suicidal thought etc.
    Without going into detail my GP thought them serious enough to refer me to the local hospital.
    A psychiatrist there prescribed me citalopram and quetiapine, but didn't give me any sort of name for what I have?
    Anybody got any idea?
    Will this affect me for the rest of my life? Has anyone had any similar experiences?
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    It could be depression, citalopram is usually prescribed as an anti depressant?
    It won't necessarily affect you for the rest of your life, as if that's what you have, it can be controlled in a series of ways.

ReputationRep:
    They wont give you a diagnosis initially, not until they can rule out other causes first. I didn't receive my first diagnosis until at least a year of being in the mental health services, they have to make sure they get it right otherwise the therapies they provide to you may not correct.

No one here can confirm a diagnosis for you. Hearing voices, self harming, suicidal thoughts can occur in many disorders. Borderline Personality Disorder, Depression with psychotic features, Bipolar disorder, Schizophrenia, Schizo-affective disorder, list goes on. Likewise no one here can tell you whether it will last 6 months, a year, 10 years, or the rest of your life. Your psychiatrist probably doesn't even know that, he/she isn't psychic and cannot see what the future holds, obviously they can support you with therapy and medication but no one can say for definite where you will be a few years down the line. Mental health problems impact upon people in different ways, it's a very individual thing. Whilst there are some generic traits that can be grouped into diagnosis's they wont affect everyone equally. Some people make a full recovery after only a few months of medication and never get ill again, others require more intensive input for longer periods of time.

Both citalopram and quetiapine have multiple uses. Citalopram is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor and is most commonly used to treat depression, although it can also be used to treat anxiety, OCD, and body dysmorphic disorder. Quetiapine is primarily utilised as an antipsychotic (I suspect you have been prescribed it to control your hearing of voices), however it is also utilised as a mood stabiliser in patients with bipolar disorder, sedative to assist with sleep, and as an add on to antidepressant therapy in people with treatment resistant depression.

I've had similar experiences to you, I hear voices constantly so I can relate on that point. Likewise I can relate on the self harm and suicidal ideation, I've been hospitalised on several occasions due to it. I've also been on citalopram and quetiapine before, so if you have any specific questions about those feel free to quote this post and ask

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes it's not as easy as to just to put a name to the problem. The thing with mental health is that alot of the conditions blend into the next. And alot of people suffer with a mixture of symptoms of different disorders. The quetiapine is usually used to help contol "unwanted" thoughts. I've been on it before and it seems to be quite effective. But it obviously varies for individuals and for their own needs.
    As for how long this will last? Well that's down to you. It annoys me so much when people say you have control to beat this, but it's kind of true. You need to want the change and to accept the help people offer. And recovery can be a long and painful journey, but essential to get the life you want.
    I wish you all the best and feel free to message me with any questions.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2011
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.