The Student Room Group

Logistic Officer RN Help!

Hi! I have seen this forum and i think is posible you can help me!

I'm a midshipman from spanish naval school. I'm doing a paperwork about Logistics Officer in the Royal Navy. I have seen information in the Royal Navy webpage but i need further information about the following subjects:

- What difference is between join with a degree or without degree?
- Whay degree is necesary for join?
- Features of entry test or exams
- Admision Progress
- Curriculum in the Britannia Royal Navy and Defence Maritime Logistics School.
- Subject and curriculum of official studies program.
- Timetable and subjects of studies courses.
- Rank and divises of the logistics branch
- Promotion, funtions and responsabylitis
- Any other information is welcome.

Sorry, thank you in advance.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Logs Officer... Wow, you really got the short straw there - boring as hell!

- If you join without a degree (which I don't think Logistic Officers can do...) you join as a Midshipman with 0 years seniority and a wage of ~£15,000. If you do go to University however, you join as a Sub-Lieutenant with 1.5 years seniorty and a wage of ~£29,000. Upon passing out of BRNC (Britannia Royal Naval College) Midshipmen are promoted to Sub-Lieutenants and Subbies are promoted to Lieutenants.

- To join the RN as a Logs Officer, you need 5 GCSEs A*-C and 180 UCAS points from A-Levels. A degree is not necessary.

- The entry tests include psychometric tests, a fitness test (1.5km in under 11 minutes), a medical examination and the Admiralty Interview Board (AIB). The AIB includes both individual and group tasks to further test the candidates' leadership abilities, mental abilities and how appropriate each individual is for Naval life. It includes a group planning exercise, practical leadership tasks (PLT), pysochmetric testing, a multi-stage fitness test (MSFT) and a final interview to the 'board' consisting of 3 officers. This is a very brief outline, I could go on all day about the AIB :p:

- Here is a detailed outline of Initial Officer Training and here is a link to the Logs officer page :smile:

Your questions require very lengthy answers lol. I won't answer the rest for a fear of going off on one :p:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Blutarsky
Logs Officer... Wow, you really got the short straw there - boring as hell!

Tell me - what qualifies you to say that?
Reply 3
Original post by ProStacker
Tell me - what qualifies you to say that?

Whilst all jobs in the RN have their **** bits, Logs Officer is pretty much maths and organising provisions at sea. An extremely important and hard job no doubt about it, but as subject matter for a report, not particularly thrilling.
I was under the impression that you were still in full time education and, as such, had no idea about working for a living or the detail that goes in to everyday life in the RN.

I've probably worked with more RN Loggies than you knew existed. Apart from one man, they were dedicated, vibrant, enthusiastic and had interesting and varied roles in every posting they had served - ashore and afloat. To them, the idea of being locked in an ops room or having limited responsibility was boring. They relished the real time, real world challenges and the responsibilities held.

Don't slag off a role you haven't worked with. Especially if you haven't worked. The world (thankfully) isn't full of aspiring WAFUs or Pilots.
Reply 5
Original post by ProStacker
the detail that goes in to everyday life in the RN

The Navy runs by accident - don't kid yourself.

you really dont have a clue do you??

could you be a troll??

The Logistics Officer has far more diverse role than just "blanket counter" as they get stick for onboard.

Oi! Be nice.
Loggies typically only get two sea drafts in their career. It's mainly spent ashore. The first sea draft as a Deputy L.O. is pretty much as a PA for the captain, the second sea job is as the L.O. where you oversee the logistic sub-departments. Bear in mind that the L.O. also wears many hats onboard a ship, such as Health & Safety, Media Ops etc.
If you want to serve at sea Warfare is the best option, and believe me you will have a lot of sea time.
saizjavi,
I would highly recommend goign to get your degree in logistics of whatever field it may be. Obviously as everyone has said it's very important to have that degree in order to get a high rank. I would highly recommend checking out online websites in order to get more info about different degree's that you could take. One that I would say check out is http://www.logisticsdegree.net. It's a real cool website that gives you more information on what you can do with the degree, different salary information etc. also I would check out sites like http://www.apa.org/support/education/accreditation/importance.aspx#answer who actually give you reasons why it's important to have these degree's and what you can do with them as well.

As everyone is saying, I would say its very important to get the degree and then go for the position as it will only help you down the line in your career.

hope this helps and best of luck!
Reply 10
Original post by logisticsguy55
saizjavi,
i would highly recommend goign to get your degree in logistics of whatever field it may be. Obviously as everyone has said it's very important to have that degree in order to get a high rank. I would highly recommend checking out online websites in order to get more info about different degree's that you could take. One that i would say check out is http://www.logisticsdegree.net. It's a real cool website that gives you more information on what you can do with the degree, different salary information etc. Also i would check out sites like http://www.apa.org/support/education/accreditation/importance.aspx#answer who actually give you reasons why it's important to have these degree's and what you can do with them as well.

As everyone is saying, i would say its very important to get the degree and then go for the position as it will only help you down the line in your career.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

this thread is 6 months old! Please check the dates before posting!

Quick Reply

Latest