Turn on thread page Beta

What size medicine ball would be ideal for home exercises? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey all - Since going to my classes - I've decided to incorporate a medicine ball into my 'freestyle workout'.

My only wonder is what size would be ideal?

I'm only doing a few exercises with it, with the help of Youtube video's and printouts from websites etc..

I used 7KG at the gym doing a few exercises, it was alright but I kinda struggled, 6KG was good for being able to complete reps and whatnot.

So would 6KG be good for my first buy?

Also are there any decent fitness websites that sell the medicine balls for a decent price, cheapest i've seen so far is £30 which isn't a problem but was just wondering if I was missing anything?

Also is it worth the money to invest in a step (aerobics step) aswell for ab work with dumbells etc?

Thanks. Noob thread I know..but just a beginner..

ReputationRep:
    Buy a kettlebell/kettlebells instead

far more versatile

ReputationRep:
    What are you actually hoping to achieve from exercise? I can't really see a medicine ball being too useful for most people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    What are you actually hoping to achieve from exercise? I can't really see a medicine ball being too useful for most people
    Home exercises, stuff I can incorporate from my gym classes into my home routine.

Main goal: Lose a stone and tone (I hate this word but tighten up sounds worse) up, lose the stomach, especially hip/sides of trunks and thighs and to gain abit of strength throughout the process. (I don't expect to do this through home exercises but I hope they help as I can't always get to the gym).

My classes are really good but I want to be able to do some of the stuff at home too. I do 3 classes that involve weights with a barbell and other weights a week, along with 2 cardio (interval) orientated classes.. (I hope that alright for what i'm aiming for) along with my own routine in the gym which i'm trying to sort out..

Lots of helpful youtube video's aswell in regards to medicine ball exercises too. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    kettlebells are superior.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by commandant)
    kettlebells are superior.
    lol so I heard

(Original post by VansHalfCabs)
    Home exercises, stuff I can incorporate from my gym classes into my home routine.

Main goal: Lose a stone and tone (I hate this word but tighten up sounds worse) up, lose the stomach, especially hip/sides of trunks and thighs and to gain abit of strength throughout the process. (I don't expect to do this through home exercises but I hope they help as I can't always get to the gym).

My classes are really good but I want to be able to do some of the stuff at home too. I do 3 classes that involve weights with a barbell and other weights a week, along with 2 cardio (interval) orientated classes.. (I hope that alright for what i'm aiming for) along with my own routine in the gym which i'm trying to sort out..

Lots of helpful youtube video's aswell in regards to medicine ball exercises too. :cool:
    Dunno if a medicine ball is what you need tbh, be better investing in a pull up bar, unless you're training for martial arts and need to condition your abs I dunno how much practical use you're gonna get out of one, just what I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    lol so I heard
    Dunno if a medicine ball is what you need tbh, be better investing in a pull up bar, unless you're training for martial arts and need to condition your abs I dunno how much practical use you're gonna get out of one, just what I think
    Yeah see this is the thing, i'm overly weak lol, i've only been going to classes for a month and a half but strength is an issue.

Pull up bar?

Thats not going to work if i'm weak? Plus in my room theres no where to fix it up.. =/

So is that a nay to the medicine ball fo' sure? Even for 'conditioning' etc and the aim is just for personal self, I do badminton aswell...

Yeah see this is the thing, i'm overly weak lol, i've only been going to classes for a month and a half but strength is an issue.

Pull up bar?

Thats not going to work if i'm weak? Plus in my room theres no where to fix it up.. =/

So is that a nay to the medicine ball fo' sure? Even for 'conditioning' etc and the aim is just for personal self, I do badminton aswell...
    Have a look at this for conditioning. http://www.rosstraining.com/articles...ditioning.html and http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/rossboxing2.htm

ReputationRep:

Pull up bar?

you fix it on the door, and the more you do them the better you get, trust me

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.