Turn on thread page Beta

Considering changing my AS Level choices from Biology to Economics... watch

ReputationRep:
    Heya

I am currently in year 11 and was planning to study Maths, History, English Literature and Biology next year, but more recently I've been contemplating changing Biology to Economics. The Sixth Form I will be studying it asks us to choose four A Level options and then we take General Studies and due to the other things they factor into our time table this is non-negotiable and I also think, although I'm pretty sure I'd be capable of doing 5, I would rather concentrate on 4 (I do a lot of drama and singing inside and outside of school and have little free time as it is :rolleyes:)

My wanting to change is more a positive thing than a negative one...to try and explain I would be happy to take Biology A Level (I do enjoy it and am good at it) but was wondering if I would enjoy Economics more.

I'm 90% sure I want to study Law at University, and if not I will opt for English Literature, so I'm aware that whether I change or not it is not going to close any doors for me in terms of what I want to do. I know what the Biology course entails very well and have more recently been invesitgating Economics, but alongside my research I was just wondering if any A-Level Economics students could give me any advice on the course in general, for example how maths orientated is it and how focused is it on the more social side of business? I know I have to make the decision for myself, and will investigate past papers and textbooks, but was just wondering it anyone had any thoughts or advice they may be useful to me so I can make an even more informed decision

Any assitance will be much apprechiated

ReputationRep:
    Very little maths involved, the social side is the main focus of the course.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah there's hardly any Maths, tbh I would recommend it. I know you said you wanted to study Law but I went into sixth form wanting to do Maths at Uni but I changed my mind completely and went for Economics. Seeing as you're already doing Maths you'll be fine if you want to take it further.
    Even if you want to do Law, economics is still a solid subject to take. The AS is Macroeconomics and then Microeconomics - most people in my class found it interesting. The A2 has one global economy module and one on labour markets/the economics of transport (this is for OCR btw). It is more essay based than Maths based.
    I didn't take Biology, but the people I know that did say that there's A LOT of content to learn - other than that I don't know anything else about it
    But yeah, I definitely would recommend Economics

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do biology but I did economics, and do law at university now. If you want to know what economics is like, go onto for an overview:

http://tutor2u.net/revision_notes_economics.asp
    http://www.bized.co.uk/

There are a lot of graphs - not like the ones you've looked at in science necessarily.

I don't know much about biology but I heard there was a lot of information to learn, and the layouts of those papers seemed quite simple - appeared to be, without treading on anyone too much, more of a test of memory. The economics exam papers tend to be multiple choice for many questions and marks were awarded for application, evaluation on facts you were given in the exam - so you had to be sharper for it.

Personally, I would do biology if I could do it over again because I think learning about how life works seems pretty interesting. But if you have an understanding of economics it can help if you do competition law or something at university as a module choice.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much

ReputationRep:
    NOOOOOOOOOOO DO NOT DO ECONOMICS! EVER! i mean it is easier than biology but it is sooooo boring!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Change it to economics! It goes so well with your other choices and is very helpful for a History, Politics or PPE degree at university, Biology will add nothing to your application but Economics will!

ReputationRep:
    In Biology there is sooooooooo much to remember!

ReputationRep:
    I do economics a level and it's a LOT of fun. The most mathsy it gets is elasticity, which basically involved dividing one number by another numer (and you can use a calculator)

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.