Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Ive been having so much trouble with this question i came across from a past paper. The question is attached. I am guessing its a theoretical question as the data is not there to figure out a numerical value.

Anyone have any ideas on how to solve it ?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Using P1 and P2 as labeled and assuming that those peaks correspond to multiply charged instances of the intact molecule being analysed:

m=mass of molecule
    z=charge of ion

m/z = peak value.

In this case you have m/10 = p1, and m/11 = p2, and theoretically you would read p1 and p2 of the spectrum. In this case, simply manipulate the equations to get m = 10p1 = 11p2, and verify that these give the same result.

This looks about right because you can see the spacing between the peaks decrease as z increases up to 20. You get the same pattern if you plot the values of 1/x where x is an integer on a number line and see the points become closer spaced as x increases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blocker)
    Using P1 and P2 as labeled and assuming that those peaks correspond to multiply charged instances of the intact molecule being analysed:

m=mass of molecule
    z=charge of ion

m/z = peak value.

In this case you have m/10 = p1, and m/11 = p2, and theoretically you would read p1 and p2 of the spectrum. In this case, simply manipulate the equations to get m = 10p1 = 11p2, and verify that these give the same result.

This looks about right because you can see the spacing between the peaks decrease as z increases up to 20. You get the same pattern if you plot the values of 1/x where x is an integer on a number line and see the points become closer spaced as x increases.
    Thanks for this it makes sense, just one thing.. when you said that ''m/10 = p1, and m/11 = p2'' did you mean m/10 = p2, and m/11 = p1 ?

Also, if there a reference that i can look at for this question because i haven't managed to find any... Thanks

btw do you do biochem ?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, yes i did

As for references, afriad not. Just google mass spectrometry and try to find a decently laidout web page. For singly charged stuff chemguide should be quite useful

As for the last question, i do normal chem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blocker)
    Yes, yes i did

As for references, afriad not. Just google mass spectrometry and try to find a decently laidout web page. For singly charged stuff chemguide should be quite useful

As for the last question, i do normal chem
    Hey, do you also know why its an advantage of having multiple charges ??

ReputationRep:
    As this is biochem im going to presume these are tactics mostly related to analysing big proteins and stuff. So im only guessing here, since i tend to stick to the small stuff. But a quick google informs me that having the multiple charge data allows the generation of a profile displaying the average mass (averaging over all the different m/z values should improve accuracy) which also tends to show impurities up as well (salt adducts such as sodium, potassium etc).

But i may be wrong

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 7, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.