Turn on thread page Beta

Brother needs counselling? watch

Hi, so basically it's been a tough year.

Our father passed away and my younger brother (11years old) has been behaving badly. He's been acting aggressively in school and has been excluded for his temper and use of appropriate words. He cries for no reason, and picks arguments over the tiniest things such as; food not being given on time, burnt toast?

He is the only male in the house and he spends all his free time on the computer.

I think he needs to see someone, even if briefly but mother is extremely, opposed to such 'ineffective' help?

What to do? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Councelling might help, is there a school councellor?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but she won't allow it, even though it was recommended.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure what to advise, since he's a minor if your mum says no he won't be able to get the help he needs. Is there someone who might be able to talk to your mum? Maybe convince her that if she thinks the help is ineffective he should give it ago as he has nothing to lose then?

ReputationRep:
    Then that is a problem. Was it a GP that recommended he see a councilor?

ReputationRep:
    No school teachers. I don't know....sometimes having close-minded asian parents is so frustrating.

Thanks anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi, so basically it's been a tough year.

Our father passed away and my younger brother (11years old) has been behaving badly. He's been acting aggressively in school and has been excluded for his temper and use of appropriate words. He cries for no reason, and picks arguments over the tiniest things such as; food not being given on time, burnt toast?

He is the only male in the house and he spends all his free time on the computer.

I think he needs to see someone, even if briefly but mother is extremely, opposed to such 'ineffective' help?

What to do? :confused:
    I definately think counselling for berevement would be good. I don't understand why people can be so opposed to seeing someone for help as opposed to not having help at all, it's just so stupid. For me I go for counselling (this is my second time and I've gone twice secretly) but when I told my parents I was considering it they were very much like, "there is no point". but I've gone and it has helped so much, I can talk about things and my feelings and my thoughts and I'll be listened to and not judged, and that is what is so good about it, and it could be good for your brother. Talk to your mum again then talk to someone you can trust at school for help.

ReputationRep:
    If you can take him to see a GP, you may receive a medical referral.

ReputationRep:
    It looks like counselling is the best option really, pull out all the stops to get him there I say :P

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.