Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I want to ask about the naming of those two compounds especially that I think our tutor named them in a wrong way.

CH3CH(OH)CH2CH(OH)CH3

I think this should be 2,4-pentanediol, but the tutor named it as 2,4-pentadiol.

The other compound: CH3CH(OH)CH2CH=CH2

I think it should be 4-hydroxy-1-pentene, but the tutor named it as 4-penntenol.

Which are the correct answers?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SWEngineer)
    I want to ask about the naming of those two compounds especially that I think our tutor named them in a wrong way.

CH3CH(OH)CH2CH(OH)CH3

I think this should be 2,4-pentanediol, but the tutor named it as 2,4-pentadiol.

The other compound: CH3CH(OH)CH2CH=CH2

I think it should be [I]4-hexy-1-pentene[I], but the tutor named it as 4-penntenol.

Which are the correct answers?

Thanks.
    pentane-2,4-diol, 2,4-pentanediol, 2,4-dihydroxypentane - something along those lines

and...

2-hydroxypent-4-ene

ReputationRep:
    First one I'll go with, the second is 4-hydroxy-pent-1-ene (I think)

With the double bonded alcohols, the double bond always takes precedence over the hydroxy group.

ReputationRep:
    I stand corrected on the second, yes, the numbers should sum to the smallest possible value, or some such nonsense.

I hate IUPAC. *******s.

ReputationRep:
    look forwards to a future where either you stop doing chemistry after a level and no longer care, or keep doing chemistry after a level and realise none of the chemists care either! As long as the name is unambiguous its good enough for me :P

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 5, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.