Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    OK, so I want to revise and do all of my work, but there are endless ways in which I can escape doing work! I would appreciate it if you guys could tell me how you resist procrastination, and if you could give me any tips

thanks

ReputationRep:
    I get out of the house to do work & revision - I can't revise at home because I just end up doing something else or a dog starts eating me or something so I go to the park or the library or a cafe...has to be a drive away from home so I don't get bored and think oh well may as well go back because then you feel like you have to stay a bit longer working...if you plan on going to the park or somewhere, don't take much money with you so that you're not tempted to shop instead. I get a ton done when I do work out of the house so maybe try that?

ReputationRep:
    One tip I know of is to tell a lot of people close to you that you are going to do whatever the task is by a certain date, and the pressure of not wanting to tell them that you failed can push you to start.

Works for me sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    Set yourself mini targets each day like wrote x amount of words, or revise one or two topics. Spread it out equally over the time you have left so you still have time to relax in the evening

ReputationRep:
    MAKE A START.
    After that, the task will always be in the back of your mind, never letting you forget that you've started something and not finished.

Set yourself concrete, definite goals.
    You want to be able to have achieved something - a goal like "revise" is terrible because you can never know when you've finished, therefore you will be less inspired to follow it through to completion.

Set yourself acquisitional goals - you want to achieve something. A goal like "Not messing around this morning" is really difficult to achieve.
    That's why alcoholics 'collect' alcohol free days rather than "trying not to be drunk" day in day out.

Set yourself meaningful goals that are helpful. If you want to revise properly, setting goals like "do question 1c on page 322" is just a distraction from doing a proper long session of revision. A goal like "Do all the questions in the review of this chapter" is similar but means that to have achieved it, you've done more work.

All of those have been backed up by research. If you feel like procrastinating, read this:

http://www.spring.org.uk/2011/03/11-...e-anything.php

Then get back to work and start achieving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hatnan)
    OK, so I want to revise and do all of my work, but there are endless ways in which I can escape doing work! I would appreciate it if you guys could tell me how you resist procrastination, and if you could give me any tips

thanks
    Just... take whatever it is seriously. The older you get and the more mature you are as a person, you'll realize how important this work is.

School (I guess we are talking about school here) is probably one of the most important things us teenagers take for granted, and it isn't until it's practically too late that people finally understand this.

Do what you need to do and if you are easily distracted, go to an area where there are less distractions. As much as I love staying in my room, I have to go to the library from time to time to study because there are just too many things going on that will take my attention away from my studies every few seconds.

ReputationRep:
    Go to the library. Avoid the house

ReputationRep:
    The location thing can be a big deal. I know when I was doing my degree I often struggled because at home I was trying to work at the same desk & computer that I relaxed at, in the room where I slept. I'm sure it varies from person to person, but for me getting away from the house, or even taking my work to a different room, did make a big difference.

ReputationRep:
    get off TSR. lol

ReputationRep:
    Resistance is futile...

Can't help as I'm generally a last minute sort of person. Well not last minute(if last minute is the day before something is due in), but last hour (so the week it's due in). I always find I suddenly work a lot better when the due date is coming up, focusses me I guess. But anyway the hardest part is actually starting, I always find once I actually open up a word document and start the assignment I can get a ton of it done or sometimes the whole thing (2000 words roughly) done in a day or two.

I said I'd revise and do some work over the Easter break, hasn't happened, realistically I did expect as much. :P

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.