Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I am in the privileged position of having to choose between two vet courses for this year (2011). I have gone through various pros and cons for both, but they always come out equal!

Basically I would like some opinions on each vet school, what you think of the course and what it is like to live in Liverpool or London.... anything you can think of would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    not doing vet med, but couldnt you put RVC as your firm and liverpool as your backup? (shows the grades in your sig )

ReputationRep:
    both are very respectable unis for vet and i think this will have to go down to personal preferance from your point of view. have you been to visit each?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1.2.3.)
    not doing vet med, but couldnt you put RVC as your firm and liverpool as your backup? (shows the grades in your sig )
    But if I decided I wanted to go to Liverpool more then I would want to firm it so I can sort out the accommodation that I want etc etc

(Original post by Lucy_x)
    both are very respectable unis for vet and i think this will have to go down to personal preferance from your point of view. have you been to visit each?
    I've been to Liv open day but not the official open day at RVC - I've only seen the campus when I went on the tour after my interview. That's my problem, I've not seen the camden part - not sure I'll like living there :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissMaree)
    But if I decided I wanted to go to Liverpool more then I would want to firm it so I can sort out the accommodation that I want etc etc

I've been to Liv open day but not the official open day at RVC - I've only seen the campus when I went on the tour after my interview. That's my problem, I've not seen the camden part - not sure I'll like living there :P
    oh i see! i've been to the camden part and not the hawkshead, and i've been told hawkhead is nicer than camden. i can't compare it to liv though as i haven't seen the off-campus or halls!
    the camden site is quite close to the train station so you can get anywhere and there's a nice park near it, but being in london you obvs need to keep your wits about you. saw the onsite halls and they weren't too nice but you'd be able to deal with it camden has a lot going on for it... but then again, so does liverpool the biggest difference was that liverpool was more surrounded by other students etc whereas camden was just down a road (and it had a cow on site which ecited me )

gahh i'm really no help as i love them both haha!

ReputationRep:
    I've seen both Hawkshead and Leahurst and i thought Hawkshead was much nicer. Really great facilities for the students. But if you want to be an equine vet, i think Liv has a great reputation.

If you were willing to come to camden i think they can arrange a tour of the campus just for you if you email them and ask

ReputationRep:
    well liverpool is cheaper than london (i know you get a bigger loan in london but thats just more to pay back) and we're a very sociable uni with lots of mixing between the years, you get a buddy in freshers week to help look after you and answer your questions we have freshers and vet freshers weeks so you really get to know your year!
    ummm in first year we get animal handling days and lots of dissections with fresh specimens, all our lecturers are approachable and really helpful even if you gte stuck on something stupid
    feel free to ask questions, i would say more but i need to go get the bus!

ReputationRep:
    I had this choice to make last year but it really wasn't a difficult decision for me. I got my Liverpool offer the day after my RVC offer and had firmed it within half an hour. I was always going to pick Liverpool over any other, although RVC would have been my second choice.

I didn't have a specific reason for this preference, it was more gut feeling. However, there were a few deciding factors:
    - The girl:guy ratio. Yes, it probably shouldn't be a factor, but it is. Waaaay too many girls at RVC, I think I saw about 4 guys on the whole HH campus when I went for interview. I generally get on better with lads, I need a bit of banter in my life, haha.
    - The expense. I didn't realise how cheap Liverpool was, especially for alcohol. An example of this is the fact that there was outcry when our favourite 'club' put the price of a pint up to 90p from 70p. Yes, there are student-priced places in London, but even the cheapest student night is probably comparable to some of the most expensive nights in Liverpool.
    - London is a little too close to home for me, although it can take anywhere between 1.5-2.5 hours on the train. I like being far away from home, although I almost consider Liverpool more my home now, I love it so much.
    - The atmosphere. I love London, I go quite regularly, but I don't think anyone can claim it's the friendliest place around. London doesn't make me feel safe and people aren't very approachable, whereas in Liverpool everyone (well, 99% of people) are really friendly and people just randomly start up conversations. I'm a very sociable person so this appeals to me.
    - Non-vetty friends. I have lots of close halls friends who aren't vets as well as lots of vet friends, which I think it definitely the best balance to have, and I suppose it would be slightly more difficult at RVC.
    - Also, the facilities at HH and Leahurst are definitely comparable, but one way to look at it is twice as many students will be using the HH facilities.

That's just how I felt about the whole thing, obviously some people won't agree but this is just how I felt

ReputationRep:
    I can't really explain why but Liverpool has never been my no1, not because it's bad at all, it's an amazing uni! Why don't you pull out of a hat and if you're disappointed by the one you pick then go with the other one?

Otherwise yes London is expensive but there are also LOADS of free things to do, you'll have the opportunity to live in London through the Olympics - in itself enough of a reason! - and see all the sights bearing in mind you probably won't want to live there when you're older

It really is personal preference though the vet course at RVC is the largest intake so there will be a good range of people, though all vet related, but you may prefer a smaller group...so many things! Go with your gut instinct, they're both amazing unis and will give you all you need to be the best vet you can be
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    I would say liverpool for the things that steph and chloe said, I also got a choice and I'm very glad I chose liverpool, both the course and the city are amazing

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all of the responses guys! It's all very helpful, definately leaning towards liverpool at the moment, but I going to go an visit both soon (not offical open days) and see what I think after that!

I always said that I would be happy to go wherever accepted me - I never imagined having to choose!

ReputationRep:
    don't forget the RVC has the Univeristy of London union about 15-20 mins walk from the camden campus, which will be an amazing opportunity to meet loads of different people from different courses at all the London unis, which will hopefully balance out the 'you're only with vets' element. Especially at stressful times like exams we might even appreciate living with just vets as we will be with people who understand the pressure of the course and have exams at the same time so you can revise together and ask eachother stuff and you won't be living with loads of people who have lots of free time and no exams as this would probs make me haha (having said that there are also UoL halls which are mixed between all the unis in london so not just vet halls ).

HH and Leahurst are pretty comparable like Steph said, but having been to both (and I did spend 3 days at Leahurst site so def got to have a look around) I'd personally say HH has the edge, and it feels so welcoming and the facilities are immense. It may be being used by twice the amount of people but obviously not at all at the same time, think I've seen somewhere that when you go out there to use the facilities it's in smaller groups comparable to the sizes of groups at the other unis. From an old first year time table I've got it also looks like during first years you have an animal handling day nearly everyweek, depending on if it's your groups week (otherwise it's a day off I think! wooo).

Another major appeal for me is living in london for the 2 years, something I'd never have had the chance to do if I wasn't going to RVC, there is so much to do in london, clubs, pubs, gigs, arty stuff, lots of sports teams with rvc and ULU. and then when youre out at HH you're still only 20 mins from the city but it will be a nice change from actually living in the middle of the city. Location wise I think Potters bar isnt too different to being out at Langford or Leahurst in that it's more isolated, so still has things to do

Just bigging up the rvc here cos there seems to be a lot of Liverpool vets in this thread Both unis are amazing though, rvc and liv have always been my favourite 2, and whereever you will go you'll most likely love it and uni will be make you make it xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissMaree)
    Thanks for all of the responses guys! It's all very helpful, definately leaning towards liverpool at the moment, but I going to go an visit both soon (not offical open days) and see what I think after that!

I always said that I would be happy to go wherever accepted me - I never imagined having to choose!
    i think rvc have quite a few tours around the camden campus going on this month and next which last for bout an hour and a half which would let u see inside the campus ive booked one for start of may xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmaaa..)
    i think rvc have quite a few tours around the camden campus going on this month and next which last for bout an hour and a half which would let u see inside the campus ive booked one for start of may xxx
    Yup, I'm going to the one this month :P ..so I guess it is an official thing!
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I've been to visit both now... but I still can't decide, I'm so indecisive! (Which probably won't help with my chosen career )

Anyway, basically my thoughts are:

Liverpool: I love the city and like the student atmosphere, living with students doing different courses.

London: I like the course slightly more because it seems to have a more practical element (although I'm not sure whether it really does or not in comparison to Liverpool), also my boyfriend is going to Uni of Southampton, so London is considerably nearer to him...

So I really don't know still... my deadline isn't until 7th June because Notts took forever to update UCAS but I wanted to decide... ARGHHHH!!!!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.