Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I was just eating a bacon sandwich when suddenly I was hit with an enormous sense of guilt... All I could think about were cute little piggies running around in a field, and the thought that they had died just so people like me could eat them when we don't really need to just made me feel awful!

I always feel so guilty when I eat meat but now it's really getting to me. The problem is, it just tastes so damn good, it's difficult to give up!

So come on TSR veggies, convince me to give up the meat, tell me why I should go all the way!

You shouldn't. Their fate remains the same whether you eat them personally or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    You shouldn't. Their fate remains the same whether you eat them personally or not.
    Yes but I don't want to feel partly responsible for their fate, we're all in this together... and I wouldnt feel as guilty!

(Original post by Mad Cat Lady)
    Yes but I don't want to feel partly responsible for their fate, we're all in this together... and I wouldnt feel as guilty!
    No we are not all in this together. Whether you decide to participate or not the same animal will die and be eaten.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    No we are not all in this together. Whether you decide to participate or not the same animal will die and be eaten.
    Yes I know that, but I don't want to be the eater. It's like if say.. You were eating something that you knew was human meat. You'd feel weird wouldn't you, regardless of whether the dude would have died anyway? (at least I hope you would! xD) well, that's how I feel...

In any case, if the demand for meat goes down, surely so will its production? I know one person won't help but every person adds up..

ReputationRep:
    You don't need people to convince you really, just go with what you feel comfortable with. I've been vegan for years and it was the right decision for me, doesn't really matter what other people think about it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I know that, but I don't want to be the eater. It's like if say.. You were eating something that you knew was human meat. You'd feel weird wouldn't you, regardless of whether the dude would have died anyway? (at least I hope you would! xD) well, that's how I feel...

In any case, if the demand for meat goes down, surely so will its production? I know one person won't help but every person adds up..
    At least you're not eating cats. Or are you..

ReputationRep:
    Go on youtube and watch videos.

ReputationRep:
    Farm to Fridge search it on youtube.
    Unless they bring nice tasting substitutes for meat I'm not going to stop

ReputationRep:
    dont listen to the people ho are trying to disuade youu...go for it (i've been one since i was born and i'm very happy because of it!!).
    these days there are soooo manysupplements that there is literally no reason or you to worry about your health...in fact its been proven that veggies live longer
    i get that you dont want to be part of the reason they are killed but its not going to stop it happening i'm afraid, but atleast you will know that you are doing your part i suppose and if eating it makes you feel guilty then who's to tell you to not give being veggie a go
    tbh at the end of the day you have nothing to lose by trying and if you give into a bacon butty one day(the reason most veggies revert back to eating meat) then you an till say you gve it a go..let me knoww your decision!!

ReputationRep:
    This is why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUMsSNUjbNs

EDIT: It's really not as hard to give up meat as you'd think, and nowadays there are so many vegetarian products that mimic meat products (e.g. Quorn), I've completely forgotten what eating meat feels like, and I don't really want to go back.

ReputationRep:
    I just like being able to enjoy my food and know nothing has suffered to produce it.

Not everyone will share that feeling though and I can respect that entirely.

It is a personal choice afterall.

ReputationRep:
    I've been vegetarian for 7 years and honestly, the thought of eating meat repulses me now. I never particularly liked it other than chicken and parma ham, oh my god parma ham was my favourite. Anyway. I just realised one day that I didn't want to feel guilty about promoting the killing of animals for food, so I stopped eating meat. It wasn't that hard for me since I wasn't a huge fan of meat anyway, but since your conscience is why you want to be vegetarian, you have to think about if feeling guilty is a big enough worry for you to stop eating something you enjoy.

Personally, I eat and feel healthier now than I did as a meat eater and I feel good that I don't condone killing animals. And if anyone gives me stick about it, I have a whole bank of arguments, you'll learn that you need a lot - there's always some idiot who won't accept anyone else's opinion!

ReputationRep:
    People who are vegetarian are just missing out in my opinion

ReputationRep:
    Would that pang of guilt be less affecting if the 'piggies' in question had not played out their subsistence on this earth running through fields but in a mobility/light-reducing environment for meat processing?

I'm a veggie but only because I convinced myself at a young age. It wouldn't be perforce to try now; after all, I don't agree at all with the way meat is processed.

Not really. It has no real effect. Unless we somehow run out of meat then it will always be the same as populations grow, I would say even more meat is being eaten than ever due to this.

In regards to human meat. Meh, meat is meat, life is life.

ReputationRep:

Surely if it feels like eating human meat, you don't need anyone on here to convince you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamiesonn)
    People who are vegetarian are just missing out in my opinion
    People who do eat meat are missing out on a healthier lifestyle in my opinion

ReputationRep:
    Think about the poor plants that you're eating... reverse win.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I was just eating a bacon sandwich when suddenly I was hit with an enormous sense of guilt... All I could think about were cute little piggies running around in a field, and the thought that they had died just so people like me could eat them when we don't really need to just made me feel awful!

I always feel so guilty when I eat meat but now it's really getting to me. The problem is, it just tastes so damn good, it's difficult to give up!

So come on TSR veggies, convince me to give up the meat, tell me why I should go all the way!
    It's more healthier being vegetarian as it has been proved that vegetrians are more likely to live longer. So maybe that might help you

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.